VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Set list
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:22 am 
Site Owner

Uwe wrote:
Maybe the tour organizer in America reduced the fee for the band due to the somewhat vague response and the resulting low income, which Roxy immediately took as an opportunity to shorten the repertoire to 18 songs...

If that was the reason then the only loser would be the fans and I don't think Roxy would do that. I have no idea why 2 songs were dropped, but it is getting to the end of the longer stretch of this tour and it's been 2 and half years since Bryan toured and even longer since Andy toured. 12 days off after tonight's show then it's 3 shows in 5 days without too much travelling.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:43 am 

Hello John,

it would be absolutely understandable and comprehensible if the forces should dwindle a bit at the end of the tour in the States. That's human. In any case, it is remarkable that Roxy has traveled these long distances in the States.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 am 
Site Owner

Hi Uwe, will you be at any of the UK shows, I remember us meeting in Oslo 2016 along with Oberon and some others.

J.O'B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Hi Uwe, will you be at any of the UK shows, I remember us meeting in Oslo 2016 along with Oberon and some others.

J.O'B

Yes, my wife and I will be in London for the O2 show.
Would be great if we could meet again!
The last time we tried to get to London to see Bryan was March 12th 2020, we came as far as Oslo but were not allowed to leave the country... Glad those times are over!

Uwe2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:19 pm 

Maybe there was some technical reason that SOS needed to be dropped in the middle of the set. But dropping JG as the set closer - after it had closed every other gig on the tour - doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Many in the crowd were likely aware that JG had been played at all previous gigs on the tour and might have felt a bit short-changed when the show was over at the conclusion of DTS...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:45 pm 

I am sure they have good reasons for dropping JG and SOS and printably technical as much as anything. They may be back for LA. We shall have to wait and see.

Whilst the set may be a bit heavy on the F&B and Avalon albums for my personal taste, I think its a good set which flows nicely now that have shifted around The Main Thing and Ladytron.

What has been nice are the changes to the arrangements with lots of subtle additions to the sound of the band. Andy playing the cor anglais plus lottos additional and subtle synth sounds.

We all have our preferences for what we'd like to hear.

I understand they rehearsed 30 songs which leaves nine we haven't heard so far and maybe some of those will be included for the the UK leg of the tour.

I'm just glad they are doing these shows and can't wait for the O2 show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Uwe wrote:
Maybe the tour organizer in America reduced the fee for the band due to the somewhat vague response and the resulting low income, which Roxy immediately took as an opportunity to shorten the repertoire to 18 songs...

If that was the reason then the only loser would be the fans and I don't think Roxy would do that. I have no idea why 2 songs were dropped, but it is getting to the end of the longer stretch of this tour and it's been 2 and half years since Bryan toured and even longer since Andy toured. 12 days off after tonight's show then it's 3 shows in 5 days without too much travelling.

J.O'B.

I am sure its a while since the TGPT did a tour of this size and length and the set list has some tough stuff for any drummer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm 

Anyone interested can go to Youtube and see clips of the SanFran version of DTS. When DTS finishes up, the band hardly looks exhausted or incapable of playing JG as a follow up. And, regardless, JG is not a particularly strenuous song to play in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 pm 

I can't think of any reason that they would drop Same Old Scene, but I can see the logic of not ending with JG. IMHO a rock band should finish with something high tempo, such as DTS or VP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:36 am 

Closing songs don't have to be uptempo IMHO. FYP was a great way to end the gigs in 2001 and 2003...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next