VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Set list
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:07 pm 

The album cover art retrospective video for Do the Strand makes for a more effective closing number. I also am perfectly content with never having to hear Jealous Guy performed live again, so I didn’t feel short changed.

The Los Angeles show was an enjoyable, almost surreal experience in the sense that I couldn’t believe it was actually happening. St. Vincent is one of the most compelling contemporary pop performers and obviously studied at the school of Bowie and Roxy. Fabulous opening show.

It was far from a sellout (maybe 65-70% of available seats occupied?), but it seemed like everyone who was there actually wanted to be there and recognized the significance of the moment. It wasn’t the setlist or venue I wanted, but it was Roxy Music live in 2022, who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth. I’ll cherish the memories.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:32 am 
Site Owner

DCJ wrote:
OK, let's assume that performing rights fees are irrelevant to the decision to drop JG from the set list. So why do it and, along with dropping SOS, reduce the set list down to 18 tunes?

I looked at the VRM set lists from BF's March 2020 mini-tour of six gigs, and all of them presented at least 23 songs (and two had 25 songs). So, by that standard the 2022 Roxy tour was already rather abbreviated, with a max of 20 songs per gig. To then further reduce the set to 18 songs - one of which was their only #1 hit (albeit in Britain) - seems a bit strange.

Maybe the crowds weren't huge in LA and SF, but most of the people there paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege. So why limit the show to 18 songs? Hmmm...

I would say with no more than educated guess that this was about pacing themselves. From my own experience as a musician brass/woodwind and vocals are what are affected the most by the aging process, something no one can control and some are affected more than others. Do you think Bowie was still doing Life On Mars in the key of F on his 2002 tour, far from it.You will also notice that at 77 Bryan sits behind a keyboard a lot more.

For me Roxy are playing the long game, they are pacing themselves rather than sprinting to a sudden stop. This way the whole tour can survive and that the huge crowds that paid hundreds of pounds for the forthcoming remaining shows will get to see them collectively one last time too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:59 am 

John do you think there will be any changes to the setlist for the UK dates?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:47 pm 
Site Owner

Hi Jerry, I have no idea at this stage what changes there would be to the set list. Most set lists are decided on the day.

They did rehearse more than the 20 songs used so far but I am not certain of which ones

J.O'B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:31 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
DCJ wrote:
OK, let's assume that performing rights fees are irrelevant to the decision to drop JG from the set list. So why do it and, along with dropping SOS, reduce the set list down to 18 tunes?

I looked at the VRM set lists from BF's March 2020 mini-tour of six gigs, and all of them presented at least 23 songs (and two had 25 songs). So, by that standard the 2022 Roxy tour was already rather abbreviated, with a max of 20 songs per gig. To then further reduce the set to 18 songs - one of which was their only #1 hit (albeit in Britain) - seems a bit strange.

Maybe the crowds weren't huge in LA and SF, but most of the people there paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege. So why limit the show to 18 songs? Hmmm...

I would say with no more than educated guess that this was about pacing themselves. From my own experience as a musician brass/woodwind and vocals are what are affected the most by the aging process, something no one can control and some are affected more than others. Do you think Bowie was still doing Life On Mars in the key of F on his 2002 tour, far from it.You will also notice that at 77 Bryan sits behind a keyboard a lot more.

For me Roxy are playing the long game, they are pacing themselves rather than sprinting to a sudden stop. This way the whole tour can survive and that the huge crowds that paid hundreds of pounds for the forthcoming remaining shows will get to see them collectively one last time too.

Agree John - a 90+ minute gig is hard work and the Roxy songs are pretty sophisticated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:32 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Hi Jerry, I have no idea at this stage what changes there would be to the set list. Most set lists are decided on the day.

They did rehearse more than the 20 songs used so far but I am not certain of which ones

J.O'B

I think I read in a few interviews they had rehearsed 30 but who knows really - we've had 20-21 so maybe we will get a couple of different ones in the UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:24 pm 

Question: is it some sort of record for a band to be touring without having produced any new songs in 40 years?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:58 pm 

Dean wrote:
Question: is it some sort of record for a band to be touring without having produced any new songs in 40 years?

I´m with you. I interpret you in a rhetorical way. There have been a lot of hope, a lot of patience and a lot of maybe. -Hmm, what can things mean? For instance, Phil and Andy performing together in Covent Garden some years ago. Could it mean something? Don`t put too much into it, we were told. From another angle; hiatus on hiatus... So the story goes, tick tock...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:25 pm 

I would like to share my honest opinion of Roxy Music / Bryan here after the last gig at the O2 Arena.

I'm not doing that at this point, it wouldn't be fair either...
I wholeheartedly wish them the best of luck for the last three shows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:15 pm 

Hipsters,
W2 has been praying to ‘The Penshaw Gods’ for some deep cuts at that Albatross that is the O2.
Prayers have been made specifically for 2HB, MOP and ASFE (with Blighty flying into a cliff that one is particularly important).
Hope lives on. Locals reported a rainbow over the monument at the time of the prayers and W2 takes that as a positive sign.
‘Dance Away’, ‘Avalon’, et ‘Jealous Guy’ could easily be rested to accommodate.
Par ailleurs W2 has been considering sartorial choices for the dreadful O2. Hazmat suits have sold out - have learned Roxologists got any ideas ?
Salutations,
Windswept.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next