VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roxy Split after Avalon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 am 

Uwe wrote:
I think I read a report back in 1985 that the main reason for Bryan announcing Roxy's split was that he believed Phil was going into too dark sphere. It wasn't alive enough for him.

Today Phil is the invigorating element and face of Roxy Music, you can't fool yourself.

That's absolutely true, Uwe. During times when Roxy reunions weren't even thinkable Phil reminded the public from time to time of a band called Roxy Music. And, by the way, when I listen to interviews with him I always think that he's a rather nice guy - you'd really like to go for a beer with him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am 

Uwe wrote:
Richard wrote:
The split was down to Ferry IMHO

I guess he decided he didn't want or need the band anymore and decided that was it. He got sucked into a deep perfection trip that ruined Bete Noir and cost a couple of albums before Mamouna popped up.

Andy and Phil made valuable contributions and Paul has given the post manifesto tracks a reboot on the latest tour.

I read Andy also wanted to do another album and develop the Avalon sound.

I really like some of the Explorers stuff too and it was a shame they weren't bigger./

I think I read a report back in 1985 that the main reason for Bryan announcing Roxy's split was that he believed Phil was going into too dark sphere. It wasn't alive enough for him.

Today Phil is the invigorating element and face of Roxy Music, you can't fool yourself.

Interesting as I haver never thought of Phil's music as dark - the lyrics make songs dark or not

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:28 am 
Site Owner

Richard wrote:
Interesting as I have never thought of Phil's music as dark - the lyrics make songs dark or not

I have always felt that music sets the mood of a song.

"Happy Birthday" for example, sung in a minor key is very dark & moody indeed.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:10 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Richard wrote:
Interesting as I have never thought of Phil's music as dark - the lyrics make songs dark or not

I have also felt that music sets the mood of a song.

"Happy Birthday" for example, sung in a minor key is very dark & moody indeed.

J.O'B.

Very true John - I suppose I was thinking Take A Chance On Me and Over You etc. Manifesto is dark though musically - sort of foreboding

Also Ferry's lyrics aren't generally the most uplifting in later years lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:41 pm 

John,
unfortunately I can't find the report from 1985 in my files anymore. But I rediscovered something else interesting about the Roxy Music Sessions. I had completely forgotten.

"Until 2007 it remains relatively quiet around the singer (Ferry). Rumors keep breaking the silence of a Roxy Music comeback album with Brian Eno. Finally, Ferry reveals in an interview with the Süddeutsche Zeitung that the main reason is that Eno is such a perfectionist: "Brian comes to the studio from time to time like, I don't know: Michelangelo? He's cleaning up a detail, days , weeks. Then he erases everything. And starts all over again."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:11 pm 

Uwe wrote:
John,
unfortunately I can't find the report from 1985 in my files anymore. But I rediscovered something else interesting about the Roxy Music Sessions. I had completely forgotten.

"Until 2007 it remains relatively quiet around the singer (Ferry). Rumors keep breaking the silence of a Roxy Music comeback album with Brian Eno. Finally, Ferry reveals in an interview with the Süddeutsche Zeitung that the main reason is that Eno is such a perfectionist: "Brian comes to the studio from time to time like, I don't know: Michelangelo? He's cleaning up a detail, days , weeks. Then he erases everything. And starts all over again."

He did that with U2 I think - Streets have No Name - deleted the first takes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:35 pm 

Isn't Eno the happy accidents guy? The Eno documentary as well as a clip with Eno talking about U2's drummer Larry Mullen playing to a glitchy tape loop suggest as much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 pm 

Uwe wrote:
John,

This sounds very contrary to received wisdom. There are enough bits and pieces through the years to give quite a thorough understanding of the history of the aborted 9th Roxy album IMHO, or as Bryan lately put it: "It didn`t feel right".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:11 am 

le freak wrote:
Uwe wrote:
John,

This sounds very contrary to received wisdom. There are enough bits and pieces through the years to give quite a thorough understanding of the history of the aborted 9th Roxy album IMHO, or as Bryan lately put it: "It didn`t feel right".

There are some quotes from Phil and Andy about wanting to record brand new songs not ones that Ferry had half finished and wanted Roxy to finish them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:59 pm 

There are quotes from Bryan in Uncut's Roxy special issue from a couple of years back, saying that with hindsight he wishes he'd done Boys and Girls as a Roxy album but that he was very tired at the time. This was the start of Bryan's studio process becoming recording numerous musicians playing their parts and then him picking the one(s) he liked best to assemble the songs like some patchwork. I can't help feeling that if Andy and Phil had been working on it as a Roxy project then it would have added some discipline and a timescale for finishing it, rather than have it drag on for years unfinished and at great cost.

Also Bryan of course didn't tour Boys and Girls, apart from his Live Aid performance, and dived back into the studio to start Bete Noir. I can't help thinking that a Roxy tour would have given him time away from being creative to recharge the batteries.