VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Like a Hurricane / Neil Young Song
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:58 pm 

It's a great song that Bryan has continued to perform at live shows throughout his career. It was the first time I heard this song on the Roxy Avalon tour. Should this song be an album song? Little is known about how and why Roxy included this song in their repertoire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoSiL8eiIQ

Post subject: Re: Like a Hurricane / Neil Young Song
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:58 pm 

It`s from the live EP "The High Road". I can only nod "understood" to this song. "Of it`s era", as they say, but that EP would disappoint people who wanted "more Avalon". It was released in 1983. I think it should remain there as a RM curiosity, not to be taken further, not even by Bryan as a solo song.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:36 pm 

I remember being totally enthralled when they performed this on the Avalon tour - IMO it’s one of their strongest live performances - I still watch it sometimes on YouTube - the use of the wind machine and Fonzi Thornton and the backing singers .. Ferry’s voice is perfect - The playing and percussion - Everything! (Also it’s much more exciting than Eight Miles High) .

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:37 am 

'Like A Hurricane' is one of my favourite Roxy (and Ferry) live tracks. When Bryan played this song some years ago in Munich together with Chris Spedding and Jorja Chalmers it gave me goosebumps. Of course it helps that I'm a Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young fan but similar to Jealous Guy Roxy Music reworked it and it became something of their own.

In my car I use a USB Stick with 600 favourite rock songs - of course LAH is on it 8-). Strange only that there has never been a studio version. But maybe the SDE of Avalon (to be expected in 2032 :roll:) will include it ...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:29 pm 

Uwe wrote:
It's a great song that Bryan has continued to perform at live shows throughout his career. It was the first time I heard this song on the Roxy Avalon tour. Should this song be an album song? Little is known about how and why Roxy included this song in their repertoire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoSiL8eiIQ

I think I read that Bryan Ferry's (then) wife, Lucy, liked the song and asked him if they could do it. The version on The High Road contains one of Andy MacKay's best solos, right up there with Pyjamarama on Viva.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:46 pm 

I'd give it 5 out of ten