VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: ROXY'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR CURTAIN CALL
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:14 pm 

Received my copy and, surprise, surprise, I love it!

As with the first book, it's beautifully presented - the slipcase and print quality are exceptional, as befits the subject matter. I love the prints and the replica Christmas cards too - I still have my original (somewhere!).

Great photographs throughout. I love that so much has been captured from the screens. So much work goes into the video accompaniment but it's so often overlooked and the detail can quickly be forgotten which is a bit of a travesty I think.

Fave pics (this hour): 'a fond farewell to Bonny Scotland' and BF pages 180, 181. The latter is indicative of a number of pics where deliberately enlarging them almost too much produces such a striking effect against the video backdrop. Almost a 21st century digital take on the classic Re-Make, Re-Model promo. I'm sure you'll know what I mean if you've ordered a copy and take a look . Alongside more 'conventional' images, it serves to make this a really rather eclectic collection and it's all the more entertaining for it. The same can also be said of a few pages where Jocelyn takes 'time out' from the band and stage set-up to include, for example, a lighting rig against the video backdrop. Unconventional, artistic and inspired additions that really augment the whole feel of the book, despite the absence of any players.

The text is nicely written too. Always from the heart, warm and often funny. I do wonder how well some things will travel when it comes to Roxy friends abroad - they might need some things explained (a "chinning" from the Durham couple in Glasgow, for example!). I haven't read it all yet but I've enjoyed a few hearty chuckles so far.

In short, congratulations Jocelyn. You've done yourself proud once more. But in the process you've done the band proud and, more than anything, the fans too. Along with the first book, this is precisely what we all want, I think. The two books together are such a wonderful, comprehensive history of the band that has been so pivotal to almost all our collective lives. They also fill yawning gaps that perhaps the band ought to have addressed themselves, but that's another story altogether isn't it? Being a Roxy fan is simultaneously pure joy and not for the faint-hearted!

I'm looking forward to leafing through the pages at my leisure and really enjoying this book. I can't imagine my life without Roxy, BF et al and, as we all get steadily older (damn you, age!), this - together with 'Under Exposed' - feels as much a souvenir of my life as it does of this exceptional band of artists. So, three cheers for Jocelyn. Hip, hip....

PS this is also a great testament to what can be achieved via Kickstarter, so collective pats on the back to everyone who supported this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:59 pm 

Wow!!
Thank you so much for your wonderful report Richard. I'm very flattered and also relieved everything got to you in one piece.
It has been a massive operation getting all the Limited Editions out.
Everyone who ordered theirs should have got it by now. Or at worst, it'll be a few days away if you're overseas.
I'm endeavouring to have posted everything out by March 22/23rd.
Please bear with me, my shoulder can only take so much at a time!

Anyone who hasn't ordered their copy yet, drop me a message and I'll sort it out.

Meanwhile, a massive thanks to everyone who supported my Kickstarter and got this glossy little beauty over the line.

J xx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 am 

What's not to love?

The quality is sensational, the pictures stunning and the text informed and passionate. A worthy appendix to the original publication.

Love all the 'little extras' too :D

A wonderful job from start to finish Jocelyn, you should be as proud of your achievement as we are all grateful.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:20 pm 

Thanks Jocelyn! Wow! A wonderful book. A bulls eye release for me, since I was present at Manchester Arena and London O2.
Ole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm 

The postman brought a bit of a sunshine on a rainy day half an hour ago... :D

Appropriately enough, given the subject matter, my book had spent the week on tour... Royal Mail's tracking shows that it's short London journey from south of the river to north had taken it west to a mail centre near Heathrow Airport, then for a brief look at the south coast (presumably loaded on to the wrong van to Southampton mail centre)!

Fortunately an excellent packaging job meant that the book was still in perfect condition when it arrived and the first browse has already brought back some happy, if bitter-sweet, memories. At the Glasgow and London shows I met some friends for the first time (our previous contact having been restricted by geography to online chats) and, sadly, one or two for the last time; I'm glad that they were able to witness Roxy play live again before they left this world.

I rather doubt that we will see Roxy perform again (at least not under the band's name), so I'm glad that this book will help the 50th anniversary tour to live longer in our memories.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:20 pm 

doc wrote:
Thanks Jocelyn! Wow! A wonderful book. A bulls eye release for me, since I was present at Manchester Arena and London O2.
Ole

Thanks Ole! Glad it hit the spot. x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:23 pm 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:
What's not to love?

The quality is sensational, the pictures stunning and the text informed and passionate. A worthy appendix to the original publication.

Love all the 'little extras' too :D

A wonderful job from start to finish Jocelyn, you should be as proud of your achievement as we are all grateful.

Thank you.

Thanks Stabbs. And lovely to catch up with you at AMPM. Can that possibly be a week ago already? x