VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Favourite Roxy Album And Why?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm 

I have said since it's release that Avalon is a BF solo album, some of the songs sound like half finished demos (e.g "The space between"). The (ridiculously overrated) "To turn you on" should never have been included and the fact it contains two instrumentals (one used as a b-side, which is bad enough in it's own right) both lasting just over 2 minutes shows how badly BF's writer's block was.
Both "Manifesto" and "Flesh + Blood" were heavily criticized, for various reasons, but they did have some very good songs on them and are much better than "Avalon"
How it was their biggest seller i'll never know.
"For Your Pleasure", imo, is easily the best album Roxy released.
I agree with what was said before about "Psalm" and "Sunset", bias probably made me like them at the time but....zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Mackay's sax on the Musikladen version of "Psalm" always reminds me of the background music in the Laurel and Hardy films!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:46 am 

Interesting comments. I swither between the first album and Stranded and usually Stranded just edges it for me although the comment that there's usually 1 track per album that isn't as good as the rest rings true for me- Amazona in this case, sorry guys. But the rest of the album is just so good it puts it up at the top- even Psalm works for me! There's the staggering opening with Street Life, Serenade is under rated IMO and the killer double of Song For Europe followed by Mother Of Pearl- does it every time.

The least favourite- probably Manifesto for the same reasons given above- the title track is superb, the best of the rest are just about OK- "cringe worthy pile of dross" is an expression I wish I'd come up with for the remainder!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm 

Manifesto the album is definitely a pastiche. Part real Roxy and part BF solo album. The title track is great "Real Roxy Music" and Still Falls the Rain and Stronger through the Years are very good (especially Stronger which points toward an unrealized future that Roxy could have had with TGPT... but it wasn't commercial enough for what BF wanted sad to say).

The album's "West Side" is really a BF solo outing, although I must admit that Dance Away has always been a track I have enjoyed, even though it pointed to a dance club future that was far removed from the Rock Sound of Roxy that ruled the first five albums.

RE Bob's comments on Amazona, I have always liked it (the drums sound great!) but PM's distorted guitar break drags a bit and the distortion is a bit thin (and grating) in places. Also, Bob is right that Song for Europe is great - and there has GOT TO BE a good live version of SFE from circa '74 that lurks in the vaults somewhere. I think we lost out when VIVA! was released a a single disc album instead of a double-disc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm 

Have to agree with previous comments, Manifesto is definitely "Trash". :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 am 

Whirlwind, don't drag us down to the deeps below. :shock:

Gee willikers.

Have read that ya'll have said. For me...as soon as I heard
'Love Is The Drug', I was hooked. Unlike some of you, I travelled through the musical changes Roxy went through, and have loved every moment.

As a musician, I appreciated every new change they
ventured to, because to me, they reacted to times
that were afoot, beat and all.

Example: in '78 when Manifesto came out, I loved it.
I had just bought some Altec Lansing speakers & turned
up 'Trash'. Manifesto told my story.

As a result, with 'Sentimental Fool ', I would & will always remember Gloria. Siren was the catalyst for me to sing
because of the pain I felt.

When 'Flesh & Blood' came out, I was ready for more romance.

The 1st 3 albums. Love them as much as the rest.

Let me state: I love everything Roxy Music & Bryan Ferry
has ever done.

Roxy Music inspired me to create music, did it happen to you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:00 pm 

Mr. Rifff wrote:
I agree with what was said before about "Psalm" and "Sunset", bias probably made me like them at the time but....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

As far as Sunset goes, it is the reverse situation for me. I used to cut this off quite regularly but over the years I have become increasingly appreciative of this song.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 am 

As I've said on earlier discussions about favourite albums, FYP is my favourite because I love every single track, each one distinct and powerful, I have never tired of hearing it. As others have said, the other albums have at least one track I can take or leave, but I still love them all. My least favourite is F+B, but I really don't like to criticise, I wouldn't part with any of them.

I think Sunset is brilliant, very clever imagery and it's the melancholic, romantic, intelligent Bryan distilled to perfection, a poignant end to a classic album.

Talking about Sunset reminds me of something I always thought Roxy did amazingly well - the final track. I know "Bitters End" was a flippant, weird, surreal, bizaaaaarrre song, but it leaves you thinking "What the hell will this lot do next?" The point I'm trying to make is that every album left me wanting more. Manifesto left me cold at times and has it's critics, but Spin Me Round is an utterly beautiful song.