VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Flashback's Of A Fool
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

Hi, hope everyone and all are well.
Firstly. I have the authority, at a £price, from our host to log in under a Rex Balfour type name, because I can't get in under the normal thing, since the last time, and he knows that, but can't sort it. I think it's the doing of Otis. Sadie is not a happy bunny.

The above topic. "Flashback's". Just when I wasn't looking. Caught it on the Beeb, maybe 3 Sunday's back, missed the first 45 min's or so, but have been burstin' to mention it since.

When I first got into Roxy, I was 2 albums behind age 11. 1973, Radio Luxembourg (208 on the mw. remember)? Stranded flew into the chart at no 1, and I was hooked. Then worked forward with with Bryan solo stuff but eventually worked back with the first two Roxy albums.

The mighty "I.T.I.S" from Viva, for me, is the ultimate Roxy. However, having seen "Flashback", it put the album cut in a totally different light for me. Graham's (r.i.p.) bass, and Paul's drumming sound new, differrent. Andy's sax, at the point where Ruth has her breakdown, reading the letter, is spine chilling. The director's timing is wonderful.

Since seeing what I did of the movie, I have passed by youtube a few times. The hits, and comments since the showing are lovely.

Discuss.

Millions of love to all the usual culprits, especially Roxy, Smudge, Helen and John. xxx

Post subject: Re: Flashback's Of A Fool
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 am 
Site Owner

I fell asleep the first time I saw this movie (not the movie's fault I am always falling asleep watching TV/Films etc)

I then watched it again on a laptop in a hotel room round the corner from Montreaux when I saw RM there in 2010.

A very powerful film and If There Is Something calls for Puxley's sleeve notes to be re-written: What's the date again? (Its so dark in here) 1962? Or FORTY years on?....."

That song dated for a wee while but now it is as fresh as ever.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:47 pm 

As I mentioned in the General Discussion forum, I heard ITIS in unusually exotic surroundings on Friday and it sounded as fresh and relevant as it did 40 years ago (although, like Sadie's erstwhile paramour, I probably first caught it as a Johnny-Come-Lately in 1973). :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:32 pm 

i love this film. the light (....they needed to film it in RSA to get the look of 70s east anglia ;-), the acting, the way ITIS is used throughout the song. Bliss.

read this:
http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Film-Revie ... -interview