VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Michael Bracewell's book
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:24 pm 

:)

Thank You Elshiva, fine words, and I absolutly agree on your last sentence.

Remember The Velvets was an Andy Warhol invention, and so was The Factory.

"can't you see the Holzer mane...what's her name, Virginia Plain"

Here's a great site for AW fans. Photos mostly taken by Billy Name and Nat Finkelstein.

Baby Jane Holzer..

http://www.warholstars.org/indfoto/jane.html

A couple of years ago I read the books on Nico "Songs they never play on radio, James Young" and Mary Woronov's (Factory Girl/Chelsea Girl, i.e. The Chelsea Hotel) "Swimming Underground". Both recommanded reading imho.

Attachment:
silentnightbn.jpg
silentnightbn.jpg [ 48.77 KiB | Viewed 9035 times ]

Post subject: Re: Michael Bracewell's book
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 pm 

OK I know this is a kind of plug for me !! But I recently got a macbook pro and have become a bit obsessed with imovie 09 .. A few years back i went to Istanbul and saw some really exclusive Dervishes in a monastery - they only perform once a month. Anyway i used some footage i took of this in an experiment video I made using a piece of music by The Boards of Canada. It's a bit long and vague and arty but it's my first experiment .......The other, probably more interesting video, is for another Boards of Canada "song" called "Gyroscope" and is a bit faster and prob a tad more unsettling... but please have a look on "you tube" if you wish ... The comments left on 'Gyroscope' are just fake comments from my pal !!

My username is TheGardinero

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGardinero

Thanks .

Post subject: Bracewell talks a lot about Warhol in his book.
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:17 am 

I knew about Baby Jane Holzer and Virginia Plain. It's such a great song. She did have such a big head of blonde hair too! Plus all that imagery of the airplane ride, rollercoaster, and driving through the desert. Bracewell points out that it was Ferry's imagination about what the U.S. was like from what he saw in films.

Andy Warhol, as reported in Bracewell's book, always had some pop record playing in the Factory while he was working. When the record would end, Warhol would just put the needle back to the beginning. Yes, I knew that the Velvet Underground was a part of the Factory. I think Warhol wanted to point out that pop music is an art form. I do love Warhol because he wanted to show the art that is in common things like soup cans and brillo pad boxes.

There is beauty in ordinary things. God is everywhere and God is the perfection of Beauty (Psalm 50:2). I enjoy writing and discussing the spirituality of pop music because it's so common, piped into shopping malls and cars. Music is invisible, but is a powerful presence, engulfing the body like the Divine indwelling.

Thank you Gardner, I do want to see what you have prepared as soon as I can. I always wanted to be a nun, but my health issues prevent me from joining an order. I heard somewhere that St. Teresa of Avila would have her nuns dance around with tambourines. This was in Spain so there was a heavy Muslim influence of Sufism.

Thank you Gardner and St. Learraine, you are such kind people! :D