VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Swellengce! I love that word.
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:39 am 

:D It fits so well! Flesh + Blood is a misunderstood album, it's a lovely, moody piece. Strange Delight is awesome especially how Ferry says, "So this is hell..." Rain, Rain, Rain is so sexy, "the name on the dress stretched far too wide, but it pleases the mind and that's nice."

I'm a big fan of the whole body of Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry solo, and Brian Eno solo. I have yet to discover Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay solo, but the little excerpts I've heard on the "Total Recall" VHS are excellent. This is how you do solo work! You stretch out your given talent in a way you cannot do with a band. For Ferry, his primary instrument is his voice, which is why he does so many cover songs. It's great to have Manzanera, Mackay, and Eno's solo instrumental work because they are so gifted. There just wasn't enough space on Roxy records for that kind of guitar solo of Diamond Head, Mackay's version of Wild Weekend, or Eno "On Some Faraway Beach."

Post subject: Re: Michael Bracewell's book
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 pm 

>Phil Manzanera<

I loved his album "50 Minutes Later", especially a celestial song called "That's All I know", it reminds me a lot of late George Harrison. Also "Enotonik Bible Black".

I also treasure the album "801" a Manzanera-Eno project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXImulfpaQI

"All the Peasants in the Squares
At Their Tables and Their Chairs
Set to Salvage Certain Numbers
From the Wonder of the Tundra
And the Muses in the Gloom
Counting Needles in Their Rooms
On the Carpet in the Corner
In a Kind of Secret Slumber
While the in Formation Rain
Slashed the Dirty Window Pane to the Square.

Smoky Broads and Smoky Windows in the Square
Come Come Charmer Come On Over For the Day
Disappearing Cocoa Forests Flash and Die
Fortunes Crumble All Demolished in the Bay.

Over Forty Pointed People
In the Perfect Pointed Steeple
Looked to See the Lucky Number
Yes the Wonder of the Tundra
Had Come Up to Fame and Fortune
Singing His Tune, My Tune, Your Tune
Wooing Daughters of the Gifted
On the Carpets of the Courtrooms
While the Tickets Were Expensive
The Show Was Quite Relentless in the Square.

Fortunes Crumble All Demolished in the Bay

Dalai Llama Lama Puss Puss
Stella Marls Missa Nobis
Miss a Dinner Miss Shapiro
Shampoos Pot-pot Pinkies Pampered
Movement Hampered Like At Christmas
Ha-ha Isn't Life a Circus
Round in Circles Like the Archers
Always Stiff Or Always Starchy
Yes It's Happening and It's Fattening
And It's All That We Can Get Into the Show.

Fortunes Crumble All Demolished in the Bay"

-Brian Eno-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVZBu0l ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAnO7-Rd ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-uMnKj ... re=related

Post subject: Yes, I am looking forward to hearing 801
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 am 

I've heard a lot of great things about 801, but I still have to get the CD. I still haven't heard ALL of Brian Eno's solo work or ALL of Bryan Ferry's solo either. I plan on getting "Mamouna" next month. This month I got "Frantic," which I love. The Eno/Ferry composition "I Thought" is something so logical and natural to come out of that artistic marriage, the ambient echoey background with "I thought I'd be your streetcar named desire..."

I'm currently working out a deal with a person on this site to get some early Andy Mackay solo records, Eddie Riff.

"Dalai Llama Lama Puss Puss
Stella Marls Missa Nobis
Miss a Dinner Miss Shapiro
Shampoos Pot-pot Pinkies Pampered
Movement Hampered Like At Christmas
Ha-ha Isn't Life a Circus
Round in Circles Like the Archers
Always Stiff Or Always Starchy
Yes It's Happening and It's Fattening
And It's All That We Can Get Into the Show."

The man is a genius. His birthday is coming up on May 15th. YAY!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:09 pm 

>"I Thought" is something so logical and natural to come out of that artistic marriage, the ambient echoey background with "I thought I'd be your streetcar named desire..."<

I wholeheartly agree. This easy guitar-riffs makes something simple is painted with their common creativity and smoothness.

this is one of my fav. Eno-songs from "Just Another Day on Earth".

Remark, the simple guitar intro (Like in "I Thought)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzTKojy ... re=related

Same thing he did in this song "The River", a co-work with the legendary John Cale (Velvet Underground) back in 1992 (think it was) a little rare piece in a C&W/Folk style..laconic guitars indeed, imo. ;)

"Wrong side up" : "The River"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHIJy3hxWu8

Post subject: Now I have to dig up my Wrong Way Up tape!
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 am 

It's been a while since I listened to Wrong Way Up.

His work with Robert Fripp is brilliant. I recommend "No Pussyfooting," although I wish one of the tracks wasn't called "Swastika Girls!" :( It's all instrumental, though, so I don't know why they called it that, however it is lovely music. Have you heard that one?

Also, Robert Fripp solo with "Let the Power Fall: An Album of Fripptronics," ethereal instrumental, echoey and stingy. Interesting just to hear his guitar and its treatments and all the sounds he can get out of it. :D

Yes, eventually, I am getting "Just Another Day." Sounds like a great album. I loved "Life in The Bush With Ghosts," how about you?

Have you seen the music video for Mamouna? I love it! Some commented on youtube that it was sexist, but I don't think so. He just wanted to give the sense of being "prisoners of love." It seems to me that Ferry is one of the prisoners in the harem, rather than the owner of the harem. Also, showing scantily clothed women in your videos doesn't make you a sexist. Being abusive and domineering towards women is being a sexist. So, he's not a sexist.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 pm 

hi there....

nice share....

Roxy Music link was tenuous at best and certainly didn't merit such a mighty tome, if the Roxy Music thread was meant to be tying in together...

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm 

>_________________
Suzuki AC Drier
Toyota AC Drier

Dangerous things those driers.. The Toyota can't stop the drying engine, seems to hang up,or something, and the Suzuki..., well guess what..

Attachment:
503x.jpg
503x.jpg [ 21.93 KiB | Viewed 14183 times ]

@Elshiva:

I love the ambivalent messages in the "Mamouna" vids. I just saw that the "Don't want to know" vid. was enabled again (maybe me) on the Bryanferrychannel. Personally "Mamouna" and the vids, of the tracks in stylish/fashion terms still are ahead of the time, in some sense. Thinking of them, they were made 16 years ago. Still hot imo.

>I loved "Life in The Bush With Ghosts," how about you?<

I loved it!!

I aslo loved his latest project with David Byrne..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQyusKTAh4

A recomandable album, "Whatever happens, happens today".

PS: I almost got sacked from the job in November 1981 for playing (as DJ) "The Jezebel Spirit" in a 18 years birthday party. Over 300 guests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95FXn5At ... re=related

still, a "danceable solution".. 8-) ;)

Post subject: Is that a picture of you?
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 am 

Interesting hair styling there! :D

I thought about you and the other Roxy fans here today because of something that happened at the library. I was watching and listening to some Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music videos on the computer. I watched a couple versions of "Kiss and Tell," "You Go To My Head," "Windswept," and "This Is Tomorrow" plus that wonderful performance of "I Really Good Time." After I finished, because I had to go grocery shopping (I could watch all day), the man sitting next to me said, "I just wanted to say, great music. Roxy Music is great!"
I thanked him, but I'm so shy that I didn't know what else to say. It's wonderful that other people do share an interest in such things!
:D

I saw the Windswept video today and I love that whirling dervishes in it. Ferry always seems to point to the universality of music ever since "Do the Strand," as you say a "danceable solution," danced by "Arabs at oases and Eskimos, and Chinese."

I actually like Bracewell's book because it does try to put Roxy Music into the scheme of the contemporary art and fashion, but I wish it would talk more about the MUSIC of the first album. It's a lovely build-up, but not much talk about the actual songs on the album and how they were composed.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 pm 

@Elsiva: "I saw the Windswept video today and I love that whirling dervishes in it. Ferry always seems to point to the universality of music ever since "Do the Strand," as you say a "danceable solution," danced by "Arabs at oases and Eskimos, and Chinese."

-A Man of the World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_GmpQI0 ... re=related

I can easily hear "arabesque" influence of some of Ferrys songs. Like "Mamouna" and "39 Steps". Mamouna is an Arab girls-name which also means "good luck".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJfnoqzyD8g

Since I've studied Sufism and several Esoteric Diciplines, and the great G.I.Gurdieff, dervishes is well known to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKghwBTX ... re=related

Thomas de Hartmann, close friend with G.I.G and Composer, was inspired by the Arabic or more Arabesque soundscape, just like the more well-known Eric Satie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CKvbE- ... re=related

Yeah, there are few but none vids. I can't embrace personally. They are, imo, great art-works themselves.

Some of Nico's (Velvet Underground) solo-works seems very "arabesque"/pakistani. This clip was written, according to the Nico-Story on the plane from Orly, Paris to Karachi, Pakistan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4cNkwAA4g4

I don't know how much the Velvets influenced RM, still Roxy for me was a portal to music like Velvets, Can and a heck lots of bands from late sixties early seventies. Some of them are very dear to me, and I'm most grateful to the influence and curiosity towards popular music history that the "RM-cult" invited me in to, especially as a young DJ. Today, calling them "cult" is to highly underrate their influence, they're close to Beatles on "sacred influence". Still quote me personally on that notion.. ;)

I privatly grew up with Beatles, Beach Boys, records I inherited from my uncle who died in the early sixties. Later on, in mid seventies I fell head over heels in love with contemporary black music, and especially funk from New Orleans and one, who's still among my favourites today, Curtis Mayfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enFcqKuf ... re=related

Post subject: Velvets influenced Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno.
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:48 am 

See David Buckley's book "The Thrill of It All," on page 31 where Bryan Ferry is quoted with saying he liked the Velvet Underground and likes them even more now then when they first come out. He listened to the first album. On the same page it says Brian Eno loved the Velvets especially the third album, which is just called "The Velvet Underground." I think the way that Ferry sings "heroin" as "hair-O-Ween" on "Casanova" is a quote of the way Lou Reed sang the song "Heroin" on the first Velvet Underground album.
Also, remember that Ferry recorded a versions of the Velvet Underground songs "What Goes On" (on "The Bride Stripped Bare") and "All Tomorrows' Parties" (on "Taxi"). And Eno did an album with Nico, so I think the Velvets are a big influence on the sound.

What about Bryan Ferry's spirituality? I think that he believes in God, but he doesn't talk about religion too much. I think he believes in God because of "Psalm" ("believe in me once seemed a good line-but belief in Jesus is faith more sublime"), "Triptych" (about the crucifixion of Jesus "They know not what they did"), and his version of "Amazing Grace" (on "Taxi"). I hope he knows that God will always be there for him, like He's there for us all, no matter what and I wonder if he prays...

Sufism is awesome. The whole mysticism of dancing, that's in "Both End Burning" ("there's a fire burning in my soul tonight") also in "Dance Away" ("dance away the heartache..I hope and pray...") also a lot of other of his dancing songs even "Do the Strand." Dancing is something that unites all cultures and it is truly Divine and healing.

Definitely a man of the world and in touch with something Divine when it comes to music. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next