VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Michael Bracewell's book
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:41 pm 

le freak wrote:
-Bryan could have been a multi- millionaire today, had he nurtured Roxy`s music.

i think he is well into that scale of wealth. i've seen his country pad...worth many, many millions (and he's kept buying up the neighbours). his divorce settlement alone gives an idea of his wealth. he's no bowie (nor eno for that matter)..but he still has a fortune.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 pm 

>Zamba< Speak for yourself

Noir Mystique-erotique. I could make a movie based on this song, it's a black pearl of profound desire and strange delight , imo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 pm 

You might as well belong to a minority, but you could begin with asking if it ever has been played live.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 pm 

le freak wrote:
You might as well belong to a minority, but you could begin with asking if it ever has been played live.

I reckon I am, still I don't measure lyrics and the language of the octaves based on polls or popularity. It's highly irrelevant to me. It's most personally, I guess it's the same for everyone. Like recognition of something undefineable, still mysteriously known.

I also love the Bete Noir album a lot. Especially the title song.

Here they are both, just for agitation.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xAXksZOL1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S1_Jo4R ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 am 

Bryan tried to continue making Avalon-like music without Phil and Andy. That didn`t work. Why did everybody run away to buy "Boys and Girls"? Because his previous one was so good. Just in the same manner as everybody in the 60s ran away to see "Thunderball", just because the previous "Goldfinger" was so good. BUT; the real winner in 1985 was Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".

Rigby`s book? Well there are a lot of words. Blah, blah, blah,
-yac, yac, yac...The text is dense. He wants to be so verifiable, but all we want is HIS opinion. He should have skipped all the qoutes and references. People already know that. -And there are unbelievable details of the various single versions and the spelling of titles...

Post subject: I'm with St.Learraine, I love Zamba.
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:47 am 

Ferry has a gift for creating a film out of a song. It was great that he put as a credit on "Bete Noire," "Directed by Bryan Ferry" because that is what goes on in his songs. I love the sweet, passionate emotion in his voice. I can't describe it in words. :D

Stone Woman is one sexy song. "The pain is gone, but the pleasure's just begun." ;)

The whole of "Boys And Girls" is for lack of a better word "soothing." I think of it as ambient soul music, an atmospheric outpouring of emotion.

I don't think comparing Ferry to Eno or Bowie gets us any where. Where does it get us? They are different personalities, unique. In my humble opinion, all are musical geniuses. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, though. "Love me, leave me, do what you will..." :D

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 pm 

"Stone Woman" lacks appeal to a mass audience. I think the title song "Flesh & Blood" by Roxy, has a mass audience appeal. I wish Roxy could do more riff based music.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 pm 

>"Stone Woman" lacks appeal to a mass audience<

Dance with life mate... :)

Colors aren't always easy discovered by masses, sometimes we need artists like Bryan to draw the map, and show us around in the Labyrinth of life, so we don't get lost. The beauty isn't always "elsewhere", but right where you're sitting.

Belle e vita! Life is Beautiful!

No big mass audiance song, alrite, still a heart-beat in May to sweep the newborn buds of her, with a hymn to life.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Qj7fh0JmE

Look out the window! It's blooming, Lux llluminum! 8-)

Post subject: Flesh & Blood is a great song.
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:00 am 

Don't know why they don't play it on the radio. It's a feminist anthem. "My friend is flesh and blood...she say love me for my mind...in my time...I'm not that kind." I don't think that Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry are sexist. There are some scantily clad women on some on the album covers, but that doesn't mean they are sexist. I point to "Flesh & Blood," but also to "A Really Good Time" (last verse about the woman with not a lot of money, but a heart of gold), and Cruel ("Here is a girl working in a factory, she's got no boyfriend...it's tearing me apart") as portraying women as people.

Post subject: Re: Flesh & Blood is a great song.
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:41 pm 

elshiva wrote:
Don't know why they don't play it on the radio. It's a feminist anthem. "My friend is flesh and blood...she say love me for my mind...in my time...I'm not that kind." I don't think that Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry are sexist. There are some scantily clad women on some on the album covers, but that doesn't mean they are sexist. I point to "Flesh & Blood," but also to "A Really Good Time" (last verse about the woman with not a lot of money, but a heart of gold), and Cruel ("Here is a girl working in a factory, she's got no boyfriend...it's tearing me apart") as portraying women as people.

I agree I also love "Flesh and Blood", still "A Strange Delight" and "Rain, Rain, Rain" my favs on that album . Just saw a version of "A Really Good Time" days ago I enjoyed a loy, think it is from late 74 early 75 , probably the Country Life tour or something. I also spotted "Bitter Sweet" from the same tour (probably, since he's wearing the same burgundy tuxedo jacket..;~) couldn't find it..still

here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUBokocArBM

Pure swellegance..! 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next