VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: We want a new album !
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 am 

I don't think there are any great songs. Probably a load of average ones. Bryan is a true artist and realises this. But as a solo artist it represents how he is now. So they will be released as his songs and Roxy will rest in peace. He's written over 100 great songs. There's nothing left in the tank, which is understandable. The creative juices have dried up. Manzanera Eno, Mackay and even Bryan will say that there are x many brilliant songs in the pipeline, etc etc, but this is just pr rubbish. He' s always released a new album with the usual statement " This is my greatest piece of work" But let's face it, it's just promotion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm 

Whow, Ian S... what a negative thinking! Sorry folks, but I don't agree. To my opinion, Roxy/Bryan never released rubbish albums! Ofcourse not every track is pure jewelry, they are humans after all, but I think they may be proud on every album.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:12 pm 

"The Name of The Game" from "Betê Noir" is a song that never seems to end. I`ve often thought that this song isn`t very good, and there are many...

Did we need "Going Down" from "Frantic"? It sounds like a complete throwaway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:57 pm 

Bryan has not lost his voice, neither his inspiration. The pleasure of being together remains (so why these new dates this summer). Why this combination would give a poor album? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 am 

I loooooooovvvvve 'The name of the Game', le freak!!! I read somewhere else on this forum someone mentioning 'Bitter sweet' as 'least favorite song'... one of my most beloved ones...!!! Best proof how different tastes may be ;) ! But that is what makes fora like this fun, otherwise there wouldn' be much to talk and discuss about.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:26 am 

ann laenen wrote:
I loooooooovvvvve 'The name of the Game', le freak!!! I read somewhere else on this forum someone mentioning 'Bitter sweet' as 'least favorite song'... one of my most beloved ones...!!! Best proof how different tastes may be ;) ! But that is what makes fora like this fun, otherwise there wouldn' be much to talk and discuss about.

I agree, I find "Bitter Sweet" one of their most interesting songs.

:)

"Rainbows for everyone!"

I also liked the Bete Noir album. Espescially the title song, very POepic..like a mysterious love-affair.

Multitude, plentitude..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 pm 

If you two love it, it`s all fine with me. I thought it was common knowledge that it was a bad song. Me too thinks "Bitter Sweet" is one of the better ones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm 

In David Buckley's excellent Roxy/Ferry biography "The Thrill Of It All" he quotes BF in 1993 saying that he thought he might have another 10 years maximum before his voice goes, so we are well into overtime now by his own estimation. Certainly to me Bryan's voice seemed a lot weaker and more nasal by the time "As Time Goes By" came out in 1999.

Whilst it would be nice to think this summer's Roxy shows are being done for artistic reasons, we all know they are for commercial ones. Roxy can play to bigger, festival-type younger crowds than Ferry the solo artist can and I'm sure Andy, Phil and TGPT will welcome the chance to participate for this reason. Creatively the lack of a new studio album is so disappointing, if not a huge shock.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 pm 

These dates are now creeping towards September (new Ferry album?) so when does Ferry start promoting it? Usual practice also suggests that most of the Roxy touring band (minus Manzanera and Mackay and possibly Thompson) will be on Ferrys tour.It would be nice if they did a warm up gig like they did with the koko gig so people who can't afford festivals/travelling abroad can see them.