VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Tour
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm 

What do you all think?

1. Similar (or identical) set as the 2001 tour?
2. Similar tempo of songs?
3. Will they do something different - in terms of the set - arrangements or stagecraft?

My predictions - they will do the same thing they did in the 2001 tour?.....
:oops: :lol:

Post subject: Re: The Tour
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:33 pm 

I don't mind what they do.
I just wish they would do a concert in the UK rather than festivals.
:?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 pm 

I don`t think we`ll see a stage gear just like The Rolling Stones, I mean, since you ask. I just hope they don`t do the mindless "Both Ends Burning" with the tam-tams and lack of emotion.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:44 pm 

I don't think that there will be that many changes to the setlist from 2001, its fairly certain given that Anna Phoebe has been added on violin and keyboards that out of the blue will still be in. Also the fact they are festivals would mean a shorter show with less songs adapted to cope with the possible shortcomings of the leaders vocals.I agree with the earlier post about the lack of shows in the UK, since 2001 their have been far more shows outside of Britain than in, possibly because thats where the money is.

Post subject: I'm glad that they're still making music together.
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:18 am 

Bryan Ferry almost died on that plane in 2001 he's still around and that's great. Yes, his voice has changed, but in my humble opinion, it's a lovely, mature, smoky vibrato that shows a lot of raw vulnerability. It gives another twist on the old Roxy classics. Also, it's awesome that Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, and Paul Thompson are still playing together. They are all great musicians. God has given them a musical gift and they can only do their best to use this charism for everyone.

I wish that they would play Baltimore because that is my hometown, but I know that is probably not going to happen is it? Oh, well, thank God for youtube. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 am 

I'd be astonished if there's more than one song they didn't do in 2001. The festivals are obviously just a money spinner. There's no way they'd be doing them for artistic reasons. So they'll want to spend the least possible amount of time rehearsing and just get in and out as fast as possible.

Incidentally, what do you think the economics are? I reckon a fee of £200k for the band to appear. About £100k of this to BF, £25k to each of PM and AM, £2.5k to TGPT and the rest shared out.

Having seen them dozens of times I still can't decide about Lovebox. You know it's going to be horrible, really. Do you think a so-called VIP ticket would allow you to stand near the front?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 pm 

I think you're being a bit too generous, smogmonster!

At the time of the 2001 Roxy Reunion tour it was reported that Roxy earned £27k per night and Ferry got £13k of it with the rest divided by order of writing and status in the band.

A year later at the time of the Frantic gigs Ferry and the band reportedly got £22k a night with Ferry getting £12k and the rest divvied up.

Multiply that by roughly 50 gigs a year and it's a tidy sum from gigs alone. Then add in record sales, tv interviews with a few songs thrown in, radio interviews, royalties from radio stations and you're looking at a steady income! But no way would they get anywhere near £200k for 5 songs at a draughty festival. Thats just cheap publicity for his next solo cd.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 am 

Hardrain wrote:

"Thats just cheap publicity for his next solo cd."

Do really Phil and Andy put up with this? I mean, rallying around for his next solo cd?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:42 am 

Thanks Hard Rain. Interesting to get some authentic sounding figures. I'm amazed to think that BF would get out of bed for that sort of money. Do you really think it'll be a short set? Hardly worth journeying to London from the wastes of smogland.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:09 pm 

what was the setlist from the Isle of Wight festival 2005?

i was there.... it was definitely a lot shorter than a normal show.

having attended all Roxy tours since 1979.....i'm a bit at best 'neutral' about the whole tour....it doesn't make a lot of sense....apart from financially?.....especially after the on/off Roxy album fiasco :o