VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Helsinki Set List - Tour band
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm 

I am very surprised at the negative comments on the Helsinki gig. I have seen Roxy fifteen times over the years and was not at all diappointed by the show. The setlist was absolutely fine for the huge - and hugely appreciative - Finnish audience. This was the first time Roxy have ever played in Finland, remember. The slightly pared down line-up (compared to 2001) created a very powerful and detailed sound. There were some small mistakes that would only be spotted by a Roxy connoisseur; perfectly excusable for the first show of the tour. The show was weighted on the side of the vintage crowd pleasers, and the crowd were ecstatic. Numbers that the veteran Roxyite might like to see dropped (While my heart is/My Only Love/Jealous Guy etc) actually came over strongly, and I enjoyed them. Phil's extended solo in the first of those was magnificent. Of course I'd prefer to hear a whole set of long-unplayed classics but for the reasons stated earlier in this thread this is highly unlikely to happen! Phil and Andy were more experimental in their soloing, I thought, and this was very welcome to me. Andy's sax sound was absolutely crystal clear in the soundmix, more like it used to be 30 or so years ago, a benefit of the musicality of the fresh line-up perhaps. The normally exceptional clarity of TGPT's drumming was perhaps not quite there but I'm sure it will be back after a couple of shows. Dreamhome was delivered with Phil providing a fresh guitar based arrangement throughout (in place of the organ), justifying its continued inclusion. To say, as someone did above, that the song is only there for Phil to show around (sic) is almost beyond daftness! Even ignoring the timeless lyric of the piece, surely the very reason we attend any show is to see and hear the performers doing just that? Phil's climactic solo on Dreamhome is a key part of the Roxy canon! Perhaps they shouldn't perform at all - after all, it's only an excuse for Bryan ferry to show off his singing! Roxy are still an absolutely amazing live band.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:47 pm 

I must say after checking out the You tube videos of the current tour - I was pleasantly surprised by Ferry's vocals - not too bad for an old rocker - I heard some strength in there....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 pm 

>>I was surprised to see Ollie Thompson in the band instead of Chris Spedding; is there any particular reason for Chris' absence after so many years?>>

Chris Spedding is always fully employed as a session player. He is one of the very best in the business. So he never stays on one project indefinitely. His current gig schedule includes Natalie Janz, Mike Batt, the great Robert Gordon, and The War of The Worlds tour, as well as his own show with Guy Pratt and Andy Newmark.
No time for Roxy then!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm 

Yes, best version I have heard of Dream home in a long time and BF's voice sounds in good shape.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am 

Yup. I have to agree. Quite a good version of In every Dream Home. Koko 2005 had a good version with the intro featuring Bryan on piano