VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Helsinki Set List - Tour band
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm 

I must say "Running Wild" looks like a comfy choice. It doesn`t challenge their present ability, and it`s not of the most typical "Flesh+Blood" songs. In fact, it could have fitted in well on any Roxy album, before and after. :|

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 am 

I think they will have to change the set list to suit certain shows, they are playing too many slow songs (e.g. Tara to Dream Home) for festival gigs, also Running Wild, which, personally I have never liked, is a bad choice to end with. I suppose it is a bit late in the day for them to be worrying anyway....so who gives a ....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Owner

I can understand why they play certain hit singles even if I have heard them too often like Love Is The Drug, Jealous Guy, 'Virginia Plain' etc and there are certain 'classic' Roxy album tracks like Re-make/Re-model, Do The Strand etc and the occasional 'rarely performed' album track but I feel 'My Only Love' and 'While My Heart Heart Still Beating' fall into neither categories. They were not hits so the non fans in the crowd won't enjoy them and the di-hards have heard them too often.

I would liked to have seen 'All I Want Is You' played though I am sure it is a long forgotton single by most non fans. 'Angel Eyes' (even though I have never liked this track) could have been a good 'hit' to play. There are some other 'classic' non album Roxy tracks that are rarely played but we will all have our opinions on what they are.

Instead of 'Tara' (now overpleyed) it would have been good to have had 'Your Application's Failed' as the 'mid show suit change break' instrumental. Paul wrote it and is in the band and it has never been played. I think the uptempo Rock edge to this track would also be of more interest to non fans.

It's nice to see 'If There Is Something' return and the addition of 'Running Wild' but I would have liked a lot more changes as this set has been similar since, 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2006.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:13 pm 

John, I agree with you. Too many of these songs have been repeated over the years since 2001. My Only Love was even included on some Solo outings! I can only think that Roxy have now become such a well oiled live band that they have become too lazy to spend much time rehersing different songs. I'm surprised and dissapointed in Phil & Andy, I would have thought they would have fought for a more varied and experimental set for these festival shows.
As for a replacement to TARA. How about Andy's version of LITD morphing into the Roxy version? Much like FYP did into Diamond Head in the Siren tour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Owner

I think one of the problems is that Roxy are not a working band in the sense that they are not together all day every day like a lot of younger newer bands. They are not jamming and playing together a lot every day or week. They come together for these shows and therefore have a short time together to rehearse. Phil and Andy will not have perfromed any of these songs since the London Docklands show July 2006. Paul did 3 shows in 2008 his only shows since 2005 with Roxy or Ferry.

I would have liked to have seen a sort of warm up show like the KOKO thing in 2005. A small venue for fans and they could try out stuff and use it as a sort of dress rehearsal in front of forgiving fans knowing it was a try out gig

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:13 pm 

What about Over You and No Strange delight ? They'd be easy to recreate live .....Or inroducing some of the remix noises and attitude ?........ I'm off for my hols to Asia for 3 weeks I'm glad I booked it before these Roxy festivals came along or I might have tried to catch up with them somewhere ....... On this Deja vu tour !! I can't imagine the love box crowd staying with this vibe .....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:20 pm 

I`m with you, Gardner. A live audience would have appreciated riff- strong crowd pleasers instead of these "pieces of art" that most Roxy songs are.

Viva.. wrote:
"I think one of the problems is that Roxy are not a working band in the sense that they are not together all day every day like a lot of younger newer bands."

Yeah, it looks like that non-event we feared from the start.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:14 am 

looking at the latest Barcelona setlist there is nothing new that wasn't played on the 2001 tour... very dissappointing and again i agree with previous posts... not great for a festival audience and very lazy.

PM is always going on about nobody playing Roxy's back catalogue.. this was a chance after a few years break to do just that!

the 2001 tour was a triumph... this tour?...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:20 am 

There are a few tracks in that list that I would like to swap but it seems like a typical festival set list to me. Not ideal for fans like us who would love to hear the more obscure tracks. I imagine they have to play "the greatest hits" when not playing to their own fanbase. The festival crowd needs upbeat tracks they might know even thought they are not "fans".

I saw The Pet Shop Boys at a festival last year from the vantage point of the special viewing platform. They came on to a packed tent, the place was jumping. About three songs in they performed a quieter not so well known track and people started walking off in large numbers. Once you get the audience interested you have to keep them there.

Fans of the artist performing will stay no matter what they play but we are only a small number in a festival crowd.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:24 am 

Most of the comments seem to be about the setlist, but not the performance.

I have to say I'd like a refund (I never thought I'd hear myself saying that, but it's true)!

I spent a lot of money on transport and hotel just to see Roxy play, I wasn't interested in the other acts. The cracks in the band were obvious and Ferry's vocals were hard to tolerate, though he did try to push it as the time went on. I got the impression that Phil and Andy were going through the motions while Paul seems to have lost all interest.
Running Wild was a disaster because Ferry did that whispery/croaky sort of singing instead of the proper tonal range for that type of song. This sort of singing will probably appeal to the older woman who thinks the croaking is sexy but it's not my cup of tea! Hopefully he'll leave it out as the festitals progress.

I wish I'd used all that money to take the family on a proper holiday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next