VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Helsinki Set List - Tour band
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:05 pm 

Sad, sad, sad, indeed. This should have an impact on how we look at Roxy from now on. The band must be devastated too. I think this is the beginning of the end of Roxy, and the end of their fan sites, nothing less. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:41 pm 

I must say I am disappointed that there's barely any change in the setlist from 2001 - 2006. :(

It's great to see Running Wild in there, although that seems to have been dropped in Barcelona.

Anne Phoebe said in an interview that she learnt about 40 songs which would be cut down to about 20 for the tour. In Helsinki they did 17...so in theory there's another 23 that they've rehearsed. Personally I'd love to see Spin Me Round, Beauty Queen, Tryptich, Amazona, Still Falls The Rain, Sentimental Fool, Psalm slotted in among the hits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm 

Lets hope BF puts more effort into promoting his new album .....Must be really boring singing these songs ...

Last edited by Gardner on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:03 pm 

I've just read an interview with Phil and Andy in which they talk about a "revitalised" setlist for this summer and since 2001 they've supposedly rehearsed 40 or more songs but seem to end up with more or less the same setlist.The personnel seem to change more than the setlist and the songs seem to be getting shorter apart from a song for Europe and my only love which seem to be the longest songs being played at present.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 am 

I'm in a Roxy tribute band - Roxyrama - and we play all the following songs at a standard gig.

Remake Remodel
Virginia Plain
Pyjamarama
Do The Strand
Editions of You
Street Life
Mother of Pearl
In Crowd
All I Want is You
Out of the Blue
Love is the Drug
Both Ends Burning
Let’s Stick Together
Shame, Shame, Shame
Price of Love
What Goes On
Trash
Angel Eyes
Over You
Jealous Guy
More Than This
Don’t Stop the Dance

And the general feedback, after the praise, is why didn't you play "Dance Away, Avalon and Slave to Love"? We are working on these songs but the level of studio production on them does make them hard to emulate live and there are only 6 of us on stage.

Roxy Music don't really have any of our excuses for the set list they choose, and are paid considerably more! As we play to "normal" audiences we would die a death if we played My Only Love, Dream Home Heartache etc.

For anyone curious here is one of our Youtube links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRgMlksfOo

Oliver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am 

I don't think there will be another Roxy studio album. So I'm not sure what the aim of all these live shows is. Is it just to sell more of the old stuff. In which case why don't they showcase some other songs. What have they got to lose ? I don't think they will get away with too many slow songs at festivals, so why not try All I want is You, Stilll Falls the Rain, Beauty Queen, Whirlwind, Grey Laoons ? Serenade ? Casanova (The Roxy Version !) ? Just another High ? Anything rather than While my Heart is still Beating, My Only Love, Song For Europe, Tara, Out of the Blue. In addition, I wonder if Manzanera and Mackay are allowed a few of their songs (for financial reasons !) which is why we get Tara , Song for Europe, Heart Still beating and Out of the Blue with Bryan choosing the rest of the set list.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 pm 

"So I'm not sure what the aim of all these live shows is"

Money/Pension funds dwindling? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm 

How can they possibly play the new stuff on a tour when playing the other songs from their repertoire seems so risky?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 pm 

It's really a shame: ten(!) years of playing the same setlist!

So:

OUT

While My Heart Is Still Beating
More Than This
Tara
My Only Love
Jealous Guy
Editions Of You
Running Wild (never liked that one)

IN

2HB
The BoB
Amazona
Serenade
Sunset
The Thrill of it All
Sentimental Fool
Whirlwind
Manifesto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:31 pm 

I'm just happy I got to see them live! Think they were great in Helsinki... never seen them before, though. <3

(Maybe) they have come to the point that it's surprising enough they even do tours. Don't need to surprise with ever changing set list.

One of my favourite bands leader says in these situations: We are a band performing - not a jukebox :D

Thank you RM!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next