VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: St.Learraine, the quote is from David Buckley
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 am 

elshiva wrote:
It's from David Buckley's book "The Thrill of It All."
"the worst Roxy Music record is better than the best Bryan Ferry record" from the preface page xiii. This book is only worthwhile for the interesting quotes from the band members, which Buckley does not footnote.

How can you compare a solo record to a group record? It's apples and oranges. Frankly, I love all the Bryan Ferry solo records that I've heard so far. (I still have to listen to As Time Goes By, Mamouna, and Dylanesque, but I've heard some cuts on youtube that are good). Buckley doesn't understand what covering a song means and thinks "good music=rocks out." He doesn't appreciate the tenderness and the beauty of Bryan Ferry's voice.

I got that book, still couldn't find the quote, well have now. Thank you for putting me in to it.

I'm not a very big fan of covers (though he does it with perfection and imagination).

1. Another Time, Antother Place. Total political incorrect, by 1974, a gloomy and a handshake to the American Dream, BFs way and interpretation.

2. Let's stick together.

The first solo album I bought back in early 1977. Erroll Flynn/Clark Gable on-stage, a tripster of a record. Deep white soul, exubriant and ellegant, no one did stuff like that in 1976. Far out!

3. In you mind.

Undoubtable a Route 66 favor. The best "American-oriental" (west-coast) record ever made by an Englishman. The whole record deserves a road-movie.

4. The Bride Stripped Bare.

A surreal and odd landscape of both harsh society critic and the defense of art through lamented experiences. Both the ballads "Carrickfergus" and "When she walks in the room" makes me weep.

5. Boys and Girls.

The voyage through glam, and the backstage of fame and fortune. The role of the spectator and the insider/outsider look upon the camera-lences and their trespassing of privacy.

6. Bete-Noir

Probably the most European record of them all. Very Frankophile sexy and mystic. The life behind the scene of entertainment, very delicate delivered and performed. Topiary.

7. Taxi

Back to America. Mostly a soire of experiences, a soul-cascade and tribute to great singers and songwriters. My fav. "Taxi".

8. Mamouna.

My favourite Bryan Ferry album. This is the most cosmopolitan and "hermetic" record I declare. I want to travel when I here it, and if I can't afford it, at least this record will take me on a voyage..

9. Frantic

This got some of the "Bete Noir" spirit, a world in confusion and in search of safety through lushness. This record I feel, a charade of Hollywood-mysticism, poltitical paradigm-shifts and funny stuff. The most ecclectic album I think I ever heard. A stroke of Enoesque in there.. ;-) and even a bite of Beatlemania I think.

TFT, ATGB and Dylanesque is not there. Nothing much to say, but brilllant interpretations of songs, which suits his voice perfectly. But not my favourites, since his brilliant lyrics are not there, although he might found song-writing boring..;-)

-Get more bored, Bryan! :)

These are only personal tastes and assertions, and not any "expert" statement of any sort. I've also been following other bands like the Velvet Underground, John Cale, David Bowie, Eno and other early 70 bands and artists.

anyone is free to disagree.. :twisted:

8-) ;)

Post subject: Re: New news - Roxy/Ferry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:01 am 

I'm so glad Eno is mentioned. Like his style 8-)

And it's nice to see that Brian and Bryan are still being friendly to each other.

Really looking forward to this!

Post subject: St.Learraine, I love your thoughts on the solo albums!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:06 am 

I think most of them are underated. They are charming in their own way. He seems to be trying for something a little different each time. Thank God that he is still on such good terms with Brian Eno!

Ferry said something about singers from the 1930s and 1940s not writing their own songs, like Judy Garland and Billie Holiday. He said he did the album "These Foolish Things" to make a statement as singer because he had already made a statement as a songwriter. He is a great songwriter, but he is quite an emotional singer. His big hero was Johnny Ray (he got his autograph when he was 10), the "Nabob of Sob." His voice is a superb vehicle to express sadness and romantic yearning. I cried when I saw and heard him perform Dylan's Make You Feel My Love" on youtube. It's kind of a "happy sad" because it makes you feel grateful to be alive and experience these grand emotions.