VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Montreux Set List
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:24 pm 

I have been in Montreux as well. The Concert was really good and I think Roxy Music are in very good form. To be critical I must say, that the previous Roxy-Tour, in my eyes, is unbeatable. - The show, the musicians like Chris Spedding, Lucy Wilkins etc., I missed them and as they also toured solo with Bryan Ferry, they just seemed to belong to him as to Roxy Music as well.

But the actual Tour is undoubtedly fantastic as well - no question about that! And I will visit every concert possible. It is good, that Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry quite often are here in Switzerland.

To come to the setlist:

I missed some songs, which just belong to a Roxy-Concert - as far as I'm concerned: OH YEAH is for me the most roxyish ballade ever, painting the livliest pictures with its lyrics. I think Oh Yeah is often underestimated.

What do you think about that?

Post subject: Oh Yeah is such a great story song.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:01 am 

It captures that musical relationship that a couple has with a song. Falling in and out of love listening to the same song, your reaction to the same piece of music changes.

The beginning: "Some expression in your eyes/Overtook me by surprise/Where was I how was I to know?"
Just the sense of awe there.

The end, too is perfect:
"There's a band playing on the radio/And it's drowning the sound of my tears."

Ferry is great at capturing crying with his voice. It's sensitive and empathic. He's so vulnerable and not afraid to express the tears.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:22 am 

Oh Yeah is indeed a pleasant track. But that's about it. It's bland and has no cutting edge or originality.

In my view, the only stand out tracks on F&B are "No Strange Delight" and (surprisingly, as, in principle, I don't think Roxy should be doing covers) "Eight Miles High".

My ultimate Roxy Set List would include perhaps just one or two songs from the final three albums and far more than has been the case from Country Life and Siren.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:45 pm 

oh yeah is one of my favourites .This song captures the soul of the band lyrics and the music is fantastic.It is a pitty not to hear this song in this tour.I was in the Barcelona show and i can say everyone missed this song...They should think about it, that song is part of many peoples lives ...
I think about another songs that must be in the actual set list ..as mother of pearl ,just another high ,and why not... over you?
Many fans think ,as me ,that many songs are always the same, throught these years...f.example do the strand,editions of you, love is the drug,while my heart still beating...fed up with these ones!!!.They need a change , we need a change...to feel old emotions again,our favourite band .Please boys try it...you can!!
by the way ,sorry, i am a spanish fan and, and tomorrow Spain 1-Germany 0.
Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:49 pm 

Got to disagree again. "Oh Yeah" is soul-less. The whole album was a sell out to AOR/middle of the road. A very good album by the standards of many bands. But for Roxy? F&B was just not upto scratch in my view.

I agree they need to refresh the playlist though - I suggest such as The Bob, 2HB, Bitters End, Grey Lagoons, Bogus Man, Beauty Queen, Psalm, Serenade, Casanova, All I Want Is You, Prairie Rose, Sentimental Fool, Just Another High......I could go on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:26 pm 

"Oh Yeah" is great. "Over You" is great. "No Strange Delight" is great. "Running Wild" is great too. Playing these songs would make the audience look at each other in amazement. The show has staled in a preference for the 70s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:41 pm 

I agree 100% with le freak.
The band is comfortably installed in seventies songs,they need to refresh the set list ,there are marvellous songs in the 80,s,we all expect more songs from Flesh and blood and from avalon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 pm 

I can just say - The one who doesn't understands and feels "oh yeah" might have problems with all the songs anyway!

Adrian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:31 pm 

I agree 100% with adrian, ...Oh yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 pm 

Given the lack of support my "Oh Yeah" comments have been getting I've just been playing both F&B and Stranded side by side on a long car journey.

No change of view I'm afraid. Stranded is one of the best albums ever; original, unique etc etc. F&B really is (relatively) poor. Bland. I can see exactly why TGPT departed. Thank goodness Roxy concluded with the masterpiece which is Avalon - full of atmosphere and setting a new standard.