VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ferry Vs Bowie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm 

For my recent birthday I was given the DVD of Bowie's Reality Tour. I have to say that I find it excellent. His band is superb, the voice still sounded great (I think it was recorded in 2004) and he just seems really easy and cool. There is little theatricality about the performance. There are performances of songs I don't even like, such as "Under Pressure" which are so precise and beautifully sung that they send shivers up your spine. And the repertoire is so strong.

As a total Roxymaniac, I started to have treacherous thoughts. Have I been backing the wrong horse, all these years? Is Bowie really the man? So I thought I'd better watch Roxy Live at the Apollo again. What would I make of it? Surprisingly, notwithstanding the fact that it was the 50th (roughly) performance of those songs, I found far more emotion in the Roxy show. Somehow (and some of it is just ham acting), Bryan puts so much into songs like Mother of Pearl. The stage persona is slightly shy and awkward, whilst trying to put on a show. There's an appealing vulnerability (such as having to check the names of the band on his prompt sheet). There is also an incredible workrate. He's absolutely soaked in sweat. Overall, there is more atmosphere.........for me, at least. So my final verdict is.......Bowie 8................Ferry 9. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Ferry Vs Bowie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:10 pm 

Do you really have to choose? :shock:

There are days when I think Bowie is THE Man and days when RM is THE best band in the world... Usually it's 50-50. Right now it's 70-30 for Roxy and Ferry. Probably because I just saw them live for the first time!

But I can relate to the first writer: Ferry's stage persona is nice and vulnerable... and more genuine in some way. And Roxy's music is "warmer". It's hard to describe.

I have enough room in my heart for both. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:50 pm 

Of course Roxy are touring now and it seems Bowie is no longer interested in recording or writing music. But I'm very excited about LOVEBOX in a few days, also I'm excited in the Re-issue of Station To Station, which comes with 5.1 surround, full concert of the accompanying tour, DVD etc.
If only the Roxy Camp could come up with something as interesting.
Short answer Bowie and Ferry have both had a huge impact on me since '72. I love their output equally at different times.
Who will be seen as had the most influential musical output when they are dead and gone? Bowie is suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm 

For me in the beginning in spring 1072 there was David Bowie. Saw him perform Starman on TV, could have been TOTP or some music show for kids on ITV, and loved it. Save up my pocket money and bought the Ziggy album. Then I heard Virginia Plain in the summer of 1972 and my life changed. Played the single to death until I had saved enough money to buy the album. Bought that in November 1972 and have not looked back. All Roxy/Ferry/Manzanera/Mackay albums were bought as they were released (Rock Follies included). I like the whole output and have now seen Roxy 20 times and Ferry 19 times.
Bowie is good, I went off him a bit when he went "American" in 1975, but then came back during his Berlin period. I still prefer everything upto and including Aladdin Sane, but cannot say the same about his 90's albums. Also only seen him 3 times.
I agree with the other comments, Bryan's stage personna is something different, he remains shy but seems to want to entertain. I always remember somebody I know commenting after seeing the High Road video (Avalon tour 1982) that they never realised Bryan would move so much, sweat and look normal instead of cool and aloof.
Roxy wins it for me....

MB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm 

Having never had a roxy album out in my lifetime!!(still wishing) I have to say Bowie wins hands down to me. Not only on stage,but off it too.Ask any gal my age about the goblin king! :P Having thought about it If i'd never got into Bowie I doubt I would have discovered Roxy. They are my Favourite band, but solo artist Bowie is just in a different league in my personal opinion. I too recently got the Reality tour album after loving the DVD, I'll try not to gush, but WOW. it is a shame he became ill, apparently Adrian Belew hinted that there was a 3rd album in the pipeline to follow Heathen & Reality..who knows maybe there will be.
I don't think you can fairly compaire Roxy to Bowie, but Bowie to Ferry, I think he's on a different level of coolness. I think for me when I read about them both, Bowie seems more genuine&more comfortable with himself and that appeals to me more than some of Ferry's antics. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 pm 

Personally, like Sir Paul, Sir Elton and Sir Mick, both Briyans' and David Bowie should be Knighted, imho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:21 am 

Personally i hate it when Musicians accept Knighthoods..... It's not big and its not COOL and it's not clever !!! ..... Which, unfortunately means that BF would probably accept one ......cause in the last few years his behaviour and choices have been pretty ropey .... So much so that quite a few of my friends who sort of liked him now HATE him!! David Cameron and Lets stick together ......Yeuch ! The young ladies ....Hmm. Dedicating Roxy music's reward to his awfull pasty faced son in that Q acceptance speech ...................... this new album had better be good ........................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 am 

It's apples and oranges. IMHO, both are great men. They are often compared because they are both British guys from the same era, born the same year, but they are trying for different things musically. I don't think that you can give people number ratings especially two people who are so complicated musically.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:02 pm 

Gardner wrote:
Personally i hate it when Musicians accept Knighthoods..... It's not big and its not COOL and it's not clever !!! ..... Which, unfortunately means that BF would probably accept one ......cause in the last few years his behaviour and choices have been pretty ropey .... So much so that quite a few of my friends who sort of liked him now HATE him!! David Cameron and Lets stick together ......Yeuch ! The young ladies ....Hmm. Dedicating Roxy music's reward to his awfull pasty faced son in that Q acceptance speech ...................... this new album had better be good ........................

In the broadest sense, every human being should wear a Dame and a Sir title, don't you think?

I bet if the fate of those Musicians and Artists were of the Factory floor.. do you think they would rejected a golden watch for long and loyal service?

I doubt it.. and frankly there's nothing more to it in my opinion, just to understate my opinion of Joes and Janes in common.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:32 pm 

Having seen Bowie, Ferry and Roxy numberous times since 1972 onwards I can categorically say that Bowie is by far the best. His voice is (or at least was in 2004) the stronger, but the most imprtant thing for me is that Bowie connects with his audience in a way that Bryan never has.

When I saw Bryan last at the RAH, apart from hello and goodbye he did not address the audience at all, which made for a very sterile show. Bowie, on the other hand, chats and jokes with the audience, tells stories and makes you feel like his mate for the 2 or so hours he is on stage. Bryan has never done that.

Bowie's music is also far more relevant that Roxy or Bryan's. Bryan seems to have settled into a mellow groove so that one could argue that everything sounds very similar.

Won't stop me seeng Roxy at 02 though!