VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ferry Vs Bowie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:03 pm 

St.Learraine wrote:
Personally, like Sir Paul, Sir Elton and Sir Mick, both Briyans' and David Bowie should be Knighted, imho.

Bowie was approached about a knighthood some years ago, but he turned it down. He is neither a royalist nor a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm 

Peanut wrote:
St.Learraine wrote:
Personally, like Sir Paul, Sir Elton and Sir Mick, both Briyans' and David Bowie should be Knighted, imho.

Bowie was approached about a knighthood some years ago, but he turned it down. He is neither a royalist nor a hypocrite.

Thank you for the information. Imo I don't consider deserving knitghthood as same as being hipocritical. However, I profoundly respect anyone who also rejects it for different reasons, due to personal matters and views.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:26 pm 
Site Owner

I have never been in favour of people getting knighted for doing their job, a job they get payed well for. We all do jobs that takes up a lot of our time and we get tired from.
Musicans, actors etc are no different.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:32 pm 

It astonishes me when people like Jagger and Sean Connery get knighted. For what? They both seem to be very self-serving. Neither seem very nice poeple and have treated the women in their lives very badly. They hardly set a good example.

The whole honours systems is in disrepute if you ask me. High ranking civil servants get awards just for reaching a certain point in thier career. And actors and musicians get enough of a reard with the mokney they make without getting a knighthood or whatever as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:12 pm 

I`ve read all the posts.

Bowie has better songs. Compare Quicksand, Soul Love, Moonage Daydream, Aladdin Sane, Drive-In Saturday, Lady Grinning Soul, Up The Hill Backwards, Ashes To Ashes, Teenage Wildlife, Kingdom Come, China Girl and Let`s Dance to:

Ladytron, If There Is Something, Do The Strand, Beauty Queen, Editions Of You, In Every Dreamhome A Heartache, Stranded, Just Like You, Amazona, Serenade, A Song For Europe, Mother Of Pearl, All I Want Is You, Out Of The Blue, Bitter Sweet, Casanova, A Really Good Time, Prairie Rose, Love Is The Drug, Sentimental Fool, Both Ends Burning, Manifesto, Stronger Through The Years,
Oh Yeah, Same Old Scene, Flesh And Blood, My Only Love, No Strange Delight, More Than This, Avalon, The Main Thing, Take A Chance On Me, To Turn You On, and True To Life,

and you will find that Bowie has better songs, but Roxy has MORE songs of the stronger kind, but not quite as strong. You could throw in Virginia Plain among those, but not Pyamarama. You have to compare to Roxy. Ferry solo will pale in comparision to Bowie.

Bowie is a stage persona. Bryan/ Roxy comes across as being on the money trail.

My own personal favourite? -Roxy. No doubt about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:22 pm 

Well, won't make my mind up who's really my favourite.

I only know I'm grateful to have been able to listen and enjoy their music and some live-concerts through years. I wonder what the world (my world) would
have been without them.

On second thought. What an absurd notion...

:? :lol:

'...in every dreamhome a heartache*... and if I'm dreaming all my life..*'

*Roxy Music, For your Pleasure 1973
*David Bowie, Hours 1999

I sometimes wonder how many artists did they really inspire? And how many of these inspired artsits do we really listen to (or at least me). :?:

Always unknowing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPegZQo5dnc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:04 am 

Dear St.Learraine

Much as I favour Bowie over Ferry in totality, I do hope you are not attempting to compare "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" which is a classic song, to "If I'm Dreaming My Life" which is a rubbish song off an even more rubbish album. Bowie really has made some stinkers, as well as some brilliant music, in much the same way that Ferry has.

Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:57 am 

I enjoy both Ferry & Bowie but Ferry is my passion.
I am just thankfull that Ferry has nothing in his catalogue to top "The Laughing Gnome" for stinkers!! :D :D

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 pm 

DameMeditationq wrote:
Dear St.Learraine

Much as I favour Bowie over Ferry in totality, I do hope you are not attempting to compare "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" which is a classic song, to "If I'm Dreaming My Life" which is a rubbish song off an even more rubbish album. Bowie really has made some stinkers, as well as some brilliant music, in much the same way that Ferry has.

Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

Dear Dame M

No comparing, only a random "dreamy-paste".

:)

"Oh lonely dreamer, Your choker provokes a picture of Cameo.."

"Well, When I live my dream..."

Dame, I'm only dancing....

:oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm 

Great DB clip..1964

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zxeLwUSdk

:D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next