VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ferry Vs Bowie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:18 pm 

Geekness leads to admiration for rubbish and stinkers. :geek: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:20 pm 

Just going back to the comment about BF not speaking to audiences (compared to Bowie) I think this is a further indication of a terrible self-regarding laziness. You know, it's ok to ask a shed full of people to shell out up to £1,500,000 for a couple of hours of old songs, but I can't quite be bothered to move out of my comfort zone enough to say hello, thanks for turning out on such a cold night, it's really nice for us old codgers to get the chance to play these songs again, and we really appreciate your support. It is embarrassing, really, the detachment from normal behaviour.

And i agree about the You can dance video, what an absolute shambles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm 

Has anyone seen Durch die Nacht mit Bryan Ferry und Dieter Meier, the 2004 German TV documentary in which the Yello singer shows our hero around Zürich?

Ferry comes across quite cold, disinterested, and rather rude at times, I think. The only human moment comes when Meier mentions them both being married men and Ferry confesses regret over his recent divorce. It's a lump-in-the-throat scene.

As someone who has met Bowie many times, I can tell you that he is funny, gregarious and always interested in learning something about and from the people he meets. He won't allow a lull in the conversation. If one appears, he will fill it with a question. Doesn't matter if you're a big shot or just a fan, he's interested in people. I don't get that vibe from Ferry at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm 

Very strange you say that, peanut! I find this a lovely document, Bryan not cold or desinterested at all, on the opposite! It's true he's not talking that much as Dieter Meyer does, but that's the difference in character, I guess. It's one of my most favorite dvd's, and I do watch it from time to time, although I know most scenes by head by now. There's a fragment in the restaurant, where Bryan suddenly smiles towards the man/woman behind the camera... it's like the sun appearing through thick skies. I used to have a teacher when I was young, he seemed like he carried the weight of the whole world on his shoulders, but when he smiled, he seemed suddenly like a young lad! Few people do have this gift, I'm very sensitive towards it, has nothing to do with being in love or something like that, but it makes me melt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm 

The last time Ferry spoke at length on stage in my experience was during the as time goes by tour at the end of 1999.On the other hand I've met him a couple of times and he has always seemed okay, quite helpful and friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 pm 

bowie's catalogue is pretty staggering. and he's a very cool bloke. not boring :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:11 pm 

"Geekness leads to admiration for rubbish and stinkers"

Yes, that's why my music collection contains muxch rubbish and stinkers by Bowie. I havew resisted most of the same from Roxy.

But back to Bryan, I suspect he is shy and retiring, but you would have thought by now he would have developed a stage presence and way of interacting with the audience that would be satisfactory to most people.

Oh err missus!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm 

I wrote:
"Geekness leads to admiration for rubbish and stinkers."

Well, this is not an easy matter. I could have wished I didn`t post it. The opposite might as well be true. Mainstream music is full of rubbish and stinkers as well. The music world is full of hidden gems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 pm 

Ferry two out of three falls.
I don't think Bowie can take a hit as well as Ferry.

Repackage/Retail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:09 pm 

Looking back :? retrospective :shock: , there would hardly be any mainstream digger finding any of the art and glam rockers geekie, but Roxy M and Bowie, and the Velvets..

I think the closest you get to general taste in that pop-rock glam era was "Sweet" and "Slade", no offense, but both enjoying their applause from ol' grandmamas and grandpapas at the Blackpool funfair. And a couple of hundred ol' hardcores.

They're more or less out of business, but in good memory of a historical era and those who loved them. :)

That goes not for art-megalites like Eno, Bowie, Ferry, and John Cale (ex.Velvet Underground). That's why they're still around us imo. As for the latter..

Geeks?

in 1963

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHIqMmtS-0

40 years on, now that's what I call an artist carrier of profound passion

2003..from Hobo Sapiens..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aquW9nPpslY

:geek: :roll: :D

I place him along with Dylan Thomas, The greatest of Welsh gems.

Only some geekie sighs from the bottom of my heart.. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next