VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lovebox Set List
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:59 pm 
Site Owner

(Thanks to Gary + JR) The set list for tonight's show at the Lovebox festival in London was:

Re-make/Re-model
Out Of The Blue
If There Is Something
While My Hearet Is Still Beating
More Than This
Ladytron
Tara
A Song For Europe
My Only Love
In Every Dream Home A Heartache
Jealous Guy
Virginia Plain
Love Is The Drug
Editions Of You
Let's Stick Together
Do The Strand

Post subject: Re: Lovebox Set List
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:59 pm 

Not a very exciting setlist, and no Pyjamarama :(

Decent show I guess, but the sound was really poor, volume was too low and I could barely hear Paul and Phil. Ladytron was the highlight for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 am 

It was interesting to note the diverse age groups present and their varying reactions to the set, which seemed to be very well received overall.

My wife, who professes to ignore my record collection and whose Roxy knowledge is therefore largely limited to songs played on commercial radio, was bored until the final half dozen numbers (but then she'd enjoyed Duran Duran joining in Mark Ronson's set, which probably puts her taste in perspective! :lol: ). It has to be said that Jealous Guy, Virginia Plain and Love Is The Drug did seem to warm the audience up; prior to that the best reaction seemed to have been for More Than This...

That said, there seemed to be a few twenty-somethings who were already familiar with songs like ReMake/ReModel and Ladytron, which offers hope that class is lasting... Needless to say, those in their forties and fifties were revelling in the pre-1976 stuff (and justifiably so; it's a class apart from the later songs).

My thoughts on the set list were posted after the Helsinki gig, although I'd add that I think it's disappointing for Let's Stick Together (or any BF solo recording) to be performed at a Roxy gig. Whether they'd rehearsed it, I don't know, but the song drew Andy and Phil's most tentative solos on the night; hardly surprising, since they will presumably have played the song only rarely.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:07 pm 

The original premise of these Roxy gigs going back to 2001 was NO Ferry/solo songs just Roxy, okay lets stick together is a crowd pleaser but surely there are enough Roxy songs to choose from?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm 

Yes, a bit of the same old scene on the set list , but I enjoyed it.
If there is something and More Than This , proving to be the highlights.
The crowd I was standing in seemed to like it right through.
And Lets Stick Together.....a questionable inclusion to middle age confusion?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 pm 

I was pleasantly surprised when they started playing Let's Stick Together. Why not definitely a crowd pleaser. Nice contrast also to Song for Europe. Ladytron was an absolute highlight. I had no problem hearing Andy and Phil but I was standing right in front. Problem is that the local council has been pandering to complaints of local residents. All types of fun must be stopped including fun fairs for kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:57 pm 

Some review..;

It's all glam and Roxy Music at Lovebox Weekender
Lovebox Weekender 2010 review
Tuesday 27th July 2010

It seemed that over half the festival had rammed themselves in to see Empire of the Sun.

This was proved to be correct as when I left them early to check out Roxy Music, they had way less of a crowd than Ronson had. I have never walked to the front with such ease, and to think this was the headliner! Brian Ferry et al hadn't changed since I last saw them 5 years ago, all in designer suits and a few more pounds added to their waistlines since their 70's hey-day. It was quite understandable why all the youngsters had rushed off to other venues, Roxy aren't exactly the festival friendly band people would have hoped. I wouldn't say that I'm the biggest Roxy Music fan, but I own a few CD's and had never heard of half of their set.

They chose to stick to the latter day Roxy lounge-room sound, rather than the fantastic, glam-stomp of the early 70's. The endless jam sessions may have been a treat to the faithful, but I couldn't stop myself drifting off, possibly thinking about Simon Le Bon again. I was woken up near the end when they decided to cram the last 20 minutes with all the hits. By now the Empire of the Sun crowd had joined us, and the party began. 'Love is the Drug', 'Virginia Plain', 'Jealous Guy' were played back to back, ending with 'Stick Together' and 'Do the Strand'. I got so excited I was dancing with someone's mum near the end. Glorious. Just a shame they couldn't pace out their show, they still had so many hits unplayed.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/l ... xsat.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 pm 

There you go. This guy would hate the set list most of us would love, as would most of the Lovebox crowd!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 pm 
Site Owner

The guy should get his facts right, 11 of the 16 songs were from 1972-76 and only 5 from 80-82.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:16 pm 

I notice that from the 7th Aug, Sky are having a summer festival series.

Roxy are mentioned, as is Lovebox, but the article gives no detail and is a bit ambiguous.

I wondered if anyone had any more details :?: