VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Money, money, money
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:55 pm 

I must be mad really.......2 tickets (block A, row H) for Newcastle and 2 (block A1, row H) for London and, whoosh, there goes another £300 plus travel etc just to hear the same old repertoire being banged out again. Does anyone know why it's called "For your pleasure"? Are they going to play that album in full or something? I suppose they would never actually put that in the advert as most people have never heard of it. I'll be pretty hacked off if they don't bother to learn any different songs for this tour.

I shouldn't be surprised by them any more, of course, but I still feel a little stabbing pain in my heart at their complete and utter commerciality. It really is as if they say to some manager or agent "Look, we don't want to do many shows or make any effort, but we really want to screw as much cash out of it as we can get our mits on." Answer, £75 a pop at places like the O2 arena. Wouldn't it be great if they said "Right, we really fancy digging out some of the obscure songs so let's do a "real Roxy fans" tour around some small venues with a less flashy show but a top price of £40 (as plenty of other bands manage). Sadly, the only thing keeping these guys at it is dosh.

Lovebox was ok although BF didn't exactly have much to say. Not even "it's great to be back in Hackney" although I don't suppose he's ever been there before (or will be again). The "VIP" area was a bit of a let-down, too. Although it was nice to see Paloma Faith in there just chatting like a normal person!

Post subject: Re: Money, money, money
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm 

I'm in the row in front so I'll see you there. We can celebrate or commiserate as appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm 

In 1972, Bryan used to introduce the band by saying "This is Roxy Music". In 1979, he used to say, " We're Roxy Music" and on the 2001 tour he went back to "This is Roxy Miusic". The 1979 Manifesto Tour had " For your pleasure Roxy Music " plastered on all the venues so I think it's just a throwback to those days and not a For your pleasure tour ! Expect the same set ! Again !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 pm 

"Its great to be back in Hackney " . How drole. I live in here and could not let the event go unattended. I enjoyed, despite the higher expectations..
I think the For Your Pleasure is the brand for this tour only , why have Kari Ann on the poster? Why not the vamp?
Anyway .. Do The Strand, Editions of You, Dreamhome. can't be bad .... oh, if only Beauty Queen, Grey Lagoons,For Your Pleasure ...oh, dream on...

it is his favourite Roxy album ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:20 pm 

I can't understand why they don't do songs like Beauty Queen, Serenade (possibly) Prairie Rose, Thrill of it all, Whirlwind, Still Falls the Rain, Flesh & Blood, etc just to inject some excitement and energy into the shows. The money's in the bank already. They are not a recording band building up a career anymore so what can they lose ? All they need to do is learn about 6 new songs and drop Song for europe, Out of the Blue, Heart still beating, Tara, My Only love and one or two more that have been done to often but I'm too frightened to say !! OK, I will say it....any 2 from VP, Editions, Strand, Love is the Drug, I like Remake Remodel as the opener though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:42 am 

I can nothing but agree. There`s some notoriety about this. Just like a conservative husband who`ll die of starvation just because his wife isn`t around. All that is needed is to lift one`s eyes a little bit and see, oh, the world is polychrome!!! There are more colors in the palette!!!! Why haven`t we thought of this before!!!! There are more songs to choose from!!! -But they aren`t alone about this. The Stones have played just about the same songs live at every gig since the 70s...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:39 am 

Bryan and Roxy are slipping into complacency while the money rolls in and the vibes are that nobody in the band could be bothered too much anymore. There are so many other songs they could play instead of Tara, Heart Still Beating, Song for Europe, My only love, Out of the Blue, .Add VP, Jealous Guy, Love is the Drug, Editions , Strand and IEDH to that list and we've got an hour of stuff we've heard over and over and over again with no variations in any way ! No twists at all . All great songs but I'm sick of hearing them live now. Roxy are not appealing to any new audience by playing the same stuff over and over again. Even Manzanera's solos on Ladyton and In Every Dream Home have become tedious.. He could change them slightly as Jeff Thall did on The Bete Noir Tour, just to keep the songs alive ! I got swept away in 2001. But now I couldn't care less. But..err....I'll still buy any new stuff !!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am 

Do we think they realise how sick people are of the same old songs? After all, more or less the same people will be attending the next tour as the 2001 version and to trot out exactly the same material is really taking the Mick. They could do a whole show of almost virgin material: Say........Sentimental Fool, All I want is you, Would you believe?, Sea Breezes, Grey Lagoons, Serenade, Beauty Queen, Three and Nine, Bittersweet, The Bob, Sunset, Amazona, Same old scene. Is there any way that this sentiment can be politely communicated to the management, through this site?

Perhaps we're wrong and they'll do something different. Phil did say on that recent interview that they were planning something special. Let's hope he didn't just mean a new Aston Martin and banking another million.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am 

We're relying on you J O'B. Tell em politely that the real fans are on their knees , crying out for something different !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:21 pm 

Ian S wrote:
We're relying on you J O'B. Tell em politely that the real fans are on their knees , crying out for something different !!!

good question dude ,
i agree with your question ,
so what do you say dude ???
what is the ans ???

jaguar power steering gear box