VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: "For Your Pleasure"(?)...tour.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:22 pm 

I agree that smaller venues have much to commend them and would have thought BF might, from personal experience, have considered them. His Frantic tour started and ended in the UK (with Europe, and possibly beyond, in between) and the second wave of gigs was allegedly aimed at venues where Roxy had played in the early days and/or where it would be accessible to more genuine fans (the fact that the Royal Albert Hall (RAH) gig in the first wave didn't sell out may also have been a factor... ;) ).

Having attended both large and small scale gigs on that tour, I felt there was far more atmosphere at Shepherds Bush Empire and Reading Hexagon (perhaps helped by standing tickets which enabled me to saunter around with a beer in hand!) than there ever will be at RAH (especially if, like me, you get stuck with seats up in the rafters...).

On the Dylanesque tour I boycotted RAH on cost grounds and went instead to Brighton Dome (concert & train tickets combined still lower than required RAH outlay), which made a nice change of scene for me and it was clear that there's still a groundswell of support away from the bigger venues.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:30 am 

Didn't Chris Spedding note in his book that the difference between Ferry tours and Roxy tours was the size of the venues (arenas for Roxy,small venues for Ferry)? I think that gap may now be closing if current ticket sales are to believed.This could be a watershed period for Roxy/Ferry with the current dissatisfaction with ticket prices/setlists issue of news/information from the Ferry/Roxy camp (news of the tour announced 4 hours or so officially after tickets going on sale).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:34 pm 

Ticket sales disaster! I've just checked the position at Newcastle Arena, Manchester and O2. At Newcastle you can still get 5 adjoining seats in row G! Manchester row M and in London the main part of the floor seems to be sold, but I guess the sides will be empty. They've really overshot themselves, I fear, based on the success of the 2002 tour. But that's nearly 10 years ago and they've shown no creative urge since then. I mean, how idle is it not even to have the energy to learn a few more of your own songs! I can even foresee the embarrassment of gigs being cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. It's certainly happened to Ferry before, but I'm not sure about Roxy. They must get a grip! Start communicating, do some proper interviews instead of all this bl**dy cloak and dagger stuff. Learn the rest of the FYP songs and re-advertise the tour, saying the first half will be the whole of FYP and the second a new selection of album tracks and hits. That would get tickets moving, but they have to do some WORK!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 pm 

very disappointing set list expectation. they must try harder. i could hardly be bothered....and i'm a lifelong megafan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm 

Have to agree with this. If they come to the USA (which I'm still hoping) with the same set as they essentially have been playing for the last ten years, I'm not sure I'll be as inclined to go. Particularly if the ticket prices are high.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:04 am 

It is worrying that I like others went to more than one of the shows in 2001. I went to 5. This time it's once only. I have to go and wouldn't miss it.
I also believe that the inclusion of If There Is Something was purely for us original fans. I'm not defending Roxy, but they were brilliant at Lovebox. Even My Only Love! Ollie really whipped up a storm with his solo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 am 

@Tryptich:

>Ollie really whipped up a storm with his solo.<

An amazing talent. I think he draws a lot of new audiance, so as Anna Phobe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 am 

The Tour is For your Pleasure???.....For Our Plea$$$ure.....the ball has been dropped long ago......sorry.
I have worshipped at the throne, with reverence.
The party is over. Kick the dead horse again! Milk the same old cow again! There is no relevance!
Lynch me now!