VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "For Your Pleasure"(?)...tour.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:00 pm 

So, what do we make of this title? I'll be sampling the FYP tour, whatever it may prove to be, in Glasgow on the Friday night. There is much speculation, here and elsewhere, that the chaps will play FYP in its entirety, along with some classic hits. Is this likely?....(there'll be no complaints whatsoever from me if that's what happens; Beauty Queen, Strictly Confidential...? Yes, please!). But how would that sit with those who prefer the 80's Roxy and may be perturbed at an Avalon-free environment?

If this is indeed a move to "We're going to play an album in full" then that's the one you'd probably pick...it's BF's favourite don't forget. I'm just not convinced that's what will happen. And if that isn't the plan, what does "For Your Pleasure" Tour actually mean? As I say, what do we make of this title?

Post subject: Re: "For Your Pleasure"(?)...tour.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 pm 

It's just Bryan's play on words. Roxy Music performing for your pleasure. Nothing more. Can you honestly believe that they could be bothered to rehearse a whole new bunch of songs when they haven't bothered since 2001.
Bryan's chopped and changed loads of songs on his solo tours. On the Dylanesque tour in came The In Crowd, Just like you, Dont stop the dance , This Island Earth, Kiss and Tell, When she walks in the Room, Tokyo Joe, Love Me madly and a load of Bob Dylan songs. One or two may have been performed previously on the Frantic tour. I can't remember. Even that tour had Woolly Bully and Hold On, I'm Coming on some nights which all adds to the anticipation. The only new live song we got on the most recent Roxy shows was Running Wild ! Everything else was performed on the previous tour and on the one before and on the one before. Take it easy guys. Don't strain yourselves !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 pm 

It has more of a ring to it than "For Our Pension".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:59 pm 

I tend to agree with Ian's pragmatic/realistic/pessimistic (delete to taste! :D ), but share Kipper's hopes for FYP in its entirety. Fingers crossed, but no bets being laid... :roll:

It seems to be in vogue to play a killer album in full; this weekend's Hi Voltage Fest is supposed to feature Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash (Argus), Uriah Heep (Demons & Wizards) and Focus (Live At The Rainbow) doing just that. But then BF isn't a prog-rocker...

As posted elsewhere on this board, you'd expect Amanda Lear and her panther to appear in any advertising for the FYP album, rather than Kari-Ann Moller, wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm 

That would be great wouldn't it ! Absolutely mind blowing. Let's hope !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:09 pm 

In my golden platform boot, leather and Amanda Lear-coloured naive dreamworld, I'm still hoping for those sombre opening notes on "Strictly Confidential" and the treated harmonica razor-notes of Grey Lagoons, but when I return to earth I know that Ian and Peanut are right...the same old (live) scene and more pension boosting...ah well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 pm 

Looking at the web site for the LG Arena Birmingham, less than 25% of the tickets have been sold. Dissapointing for the promoters I'm guessing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 pm 

Lets hope the apathy regards ticket sales make them rethink setlists !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 am 

Roxymania happened in 1973/74 and again in 1980/81.
Apart from these two periods of mainstream success, the appeal of Roxy has always been limited.
Die hard fans are now thin on the ground and will account for the majority of ticket sales.
However, even among the these ranks there is a reluctance to attend caused by high ticket prices, repetitive setlists and feeling that they are only regarded as important to the band when it comes to money.
The general music lover will consider attending, take one look at the prices and baulk.
Smaller venues, lower prices and a more varied setlist could redress the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:50 am 

I heartily agree with the comment concerning smaller venues. I'll be at the SECC Clyde Auditorium for the FYP tour which, relative to the other locations, can reasonably be described as intimate. (BF's concert there on the "As Time Goes By" tour was excellent). The remainder are barns in whcih creating a decent ambience will be more difficult, particularly if, as others report, there are unlikely to be full houses.