VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glastonbury
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 am 

How many of us, I wonder, whilst watching the debacle that was the Roling Stones' set on Saturday (Jagger flat and no range, plenty of covering up by backing singers. Richards hardly playing at all, most guitar work being covered by Wood and Taylor, Watts ending the songs like a local pub band!) pondered why we never saw Roxy Music there and what it would have been like?

Stones were awful.

Whereas Chic, Friday nite, were amazing (but then they always wanted to be Roxy, didn't they?!?!?)

Post subject: Re: Glastonbury
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 am 

I will put my name down on that list :)

I wonder about that every time Glastonbury is on. Would love to have seen Roxy on the bill when they were at their peak but wouldn't like to see them come under the same fire as The Stones for being "ageing rockers".

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 am 

Stabbs MacKenzie wrote:

Stones were awful.

This is very different from my impression at the fan site iorr.org. There, "awful" was replaced by "awsome".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm 

Did you see it Le Freak? I sat down looking forward to a display the likes of The Who or Bowie a few years ago and got that! If that had been Roxy I would have expected this site to be awash with criticism and I'd have got the ball rolling.

The trouble is that people are frightened to disrespect the Stones because of their longevity. But believe me, as someone no stranger to playing in pubs, I've seen better Stones tributes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm 

Well, I didn`t see it, and I won`t argue with your point. At iorr.org there sometimes seems to be a law that the correct response is "awesome!".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:53 pm 

Dear friends
I've posted many times before my love of Nile and Chic. Once again he (& his great line up) nailed it. Wonderful.

But the Stones awful???? Ok, Mick was flat here and there, but what iconic posing, energy and sheer presence. I LOVED them...(& always have, btw). Frankly, he inspires me. I only wish I will have a tad of what he's got when I get to his age. And I only wish I ever had a tad of what he's got at any age. The man is the greatest rock star of all time (says i, imnsho, a total ferry/Bowie/Sinatra/Rotten freak).

I thought Glastonbury was great this year. PIL, Public Enemy both great. And Portishead (one of my absolute favourites of all time) were sensational.

Isn't it great how we can all love similar things, yet not others? Music is such a great force.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
Dear friends

Isn't it great how we can all love similar things, yet not others? Music is such a great force.

:D

Cher Roxysiren,
What interesting comments - I share your enthusiasm to an extent. The first record I ever bought was 'Come On' and my first gig was a Stones concert in 1964 at Stockton-On-Tees, I saw them again in '69 (Hyde Park), had a twenty year break before seeing them in '89(Paris) and then '96 (Copenhagen) and finally '01(NYC).
Ironically, I thought they were at their peak in '96. The set list was mostly derived from their early stuff and they performed like the great R&B band that they once were - I left the stadium feeling proud to be British. I should have left it there. By 2001 they had morphed into a caricature of their former selves. Jagger pranced around like a demented sequin doll, Keef & Ronnie definitely needed a couple of oxygen tanks and only Charlie looked like he could get a gig anywhere else (great drummer and dresser that he is).
The only two good things I can think to say about their Glasto gig was well done for '2000 Light Years' and thank God for Mick Taylor!
Of course, this judgement comes from only seeing half the set because Jagger was too mean to let the BBC air the whole thing. Unbelievable - hasn't that guy got enough Wonga?
Anyway, IMNSHO, with the exception of 'Stripped,' everything since 'Exile' has been redundant. By contrast, our hero continues to go from strength to strength and importantly, looks great doing it and yes, I'd love to see Roxy headline Glasto. I still think they could pull it off!
Regards,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

Well, I'm no mega Stones aficionado, and I defer to those here who have more knowledge and insight to their ups and downs. Maybe they were rough versus earlier outings, maybe the ever growing (apparent) parody is at excruciating levels for some now. Whilst I have followed them most of my life, and bought their albums (probably most of them), they are not a passion for me like BF or DB. But, I was frankly blown away by a guy who's 70 this month exuding more energy (and charisma) than a gang of youths on Dexedrine. They all made me smile, yes, even proud, and made my night. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:19 pm 

Please god, no, no, no.
Roxy Music at Glastonbury. You're kidding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:42 pm 

The good ship Roxy has well and truly sailed into the distance now, I don't think they'll play Glastonbury or anywhere else again can't see Mackay Manzanera and Thompson come running if Ferry whistles again after the FYP tour (Was that a pay off for the aborted Roxy album?).