VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ANDY SPEAKS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:33 am 

"Andy Mackay plays on new Bryan Ferry record OLYMPIA ??
20 July 2010 | Posted by Andy Mackay"

themetaphors.com

Rare outing. (Some of you may already have seen this).

Post subject: Re: ANDY SPEAKS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:25 pm 

In The Sun yesterday Bryan mentions that all the founder members of Roxy play on some tracks. I wonder if they were duped into thinking they were playing on a Roxy album !! Other musicians mentioned include, Gilmour, Greenwood, Nile Rodgers, Marcus Miller, David Williams, Isaac and Tara. Isaac is in the background on executive production (whatever that is !) and Tara is drumming alongside Andy Newmark.
He also says that he hasn't closed the door on future Roxy projects !! That old trick !!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:36 pm 

This is the quote from Andy's Websie. interesting to say the least .

I have read that I played on Bryan's upcoming record OLYMPIA. Just for the record I may have done but I am not sure! The situation arose when we were trying to make a new Roxy record in early 2007. We booked a big studio room at RAK in London and set up to record 'live' much as we had done in AIR London in 1973. We had all the band including Eno and our legendary producer Chris Thomas. We laid down some great sounding and rocking backing tracks but it was clear that it would be a long slog to get them into the sort of perfection that Roxy albums demand, not least because none of them had lyrics.
Bryan also had some beautiful sounding tracks in various states of completion that he had been working on over time for possible inclusion on the album. They had the finesse and production values that people have come to associate and enjoy with Bryan's solo work since the mid 80s. We all worked on them, along with the new stuff at Phil's Gallery Studios for several weeks. However I could not feel the commitment and passion that would get me through what would undoubtedly be be a long and difficult road to a finished album on tracks that I had not been involved with from the start. I hope that bits of my playing and ideas are still embedded in some tracks on Bryan's new album. I wish it all success and look forward to hearing it.
The Roxy project ground to a halt, Bryan decided to carry on with solo work, Phil went into the studio and worked, as he always does, on several projects at once, and I went into Real World studios with my Metaphor colleagues to push my playing in other directions .
The rest, as they say, is history, or, more realistically, a footnote.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

Aren't they both touring together ?? Don't they speak to each other or ask questions at all !!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:20 pm 

Seems to me there could have been a Roxy album if Ferry had pulled his finger out and got down to writing!

Quote:
We had all the band including Eno and our legendary producer Chris Thomas. We laid down some great sounding and rocking backing tracks but it was clear that it would be a long slog to get them into the sort of perfection that Roxy albums demand, not least because none of them had lyrics.

No wonder Andy seems frustrated. Everyone was there, prepared to do their part except for Ferry! What was the point of getting the team together if he never intended to put pen to paper? :evil:
Oh that's right, he made it into a solo album didn't he! :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 am 

It seems that the songs were completed in the end because they are being released but by Bryan and not Roxy ! All very strange.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 pm 

According to Bryan - I heard an interview on the swiss radio (RSR La première, 02.07.2010), the songs were not suitable for a Roxy album (why? He didn't say :?: ) and they will not be on a new Roxy album.
He said it would be possible to have a new Roxy Music album in the future (when they all will be 70?? :mrgreen: ), but more experimental...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:17 pm 

more experimental is good...love the metaphors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 pm 

I for one am pleased that one of the big four has broken cover and explained how things stand with The New Roxy Music Album (if such a thing exists). Thank you Andy.

If BF did not consider the tracks that were recorded to be suitable for a Roxy album but is not ruling one out in the future (?) we will still have the stumbling block of his lyricist's block to be overcome. 8 years after "Frantic" and his new solo album is still a collection of material recorded over a period of a great many years. No sign of his muse suddenly being rediscovered.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 am 

I'm very confused by all the statements lately.

It seems that the tracks aren't up to the Roxy standard but will be released by Ferry instead!

Have I/we just been insulted?