VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lover
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Owner

As we are taling a lot about a Ferry non-album song I though I would start a similar thread here too. There were not many non album Roxy 'songs' used as b-sides in fact only 2, Lover and Always Unknowing.

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/songs_304.php

Lover on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_7WtRBtIFs

I always though 'Lover' sounded unfinished too and could have been a lot better if further developed.

Listen with headphones to the very last swirling symbol, it pans right round your head.

I thought the middle section was the bit that sounded still at the embryonic stage.

A wee bit of trivia is that this Ferry/Manzanera song had the working title of 'Skaters Waltz'

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Lover
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 pm 

It really is a skaters' waltz. The musical swirl is still the special bit about this one. I liked that swirl. I also liked the single's cover...very glam...and reflects imnsho Lover more then same old scene.... But don't you think the whole track drowned in a sea of over-production?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:25 am 

I love Always Unknowing - should have been on the album instead of To Turn..... sonically it fits very very very much better

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 pm 

"Lover" was, for many years, my favourite Roxy track and I've always felt it should have been a single in it's own right, and much more preferable on F+B to No Strange Delight.

The Beatles and Stones used to have their later singles classed as double A-sides by the music media, and I feel that the coupling of "Same Old Scene and Lover" on the cover may have been a hint from BF that this track deserved similar status and airplay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:27 pm 

Always Unknowing was perfect for Avalon, another wonderful swirl of mist and sound. Likewise I am always amazed that Midnight Train did not make the cut for Mamouna where it would have been perfect as the opening track instead of the dreary Don't Want to Know.