VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What do you want for Christmas?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:09 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Gosh, don't we all want another 8 or 9 dub/dance/electronica remixes of Alphaville and Shameless! Oh but that is probably asking for waaay too much...

As an alternative, the only thing I would really be interested in would be hearing a bootleg of tracks from the 2005-06 Roxy recordings. That would be interesting indeed. Were they just a bunch of slapped together studio sessions without much focus? or were they actually well constructed songs that could readily be released without much extra work?

Couldn't this be something that Wikileaks works on in their spare time?? It could be distributed with the weekend edition of The Guardian. Hmmm. Maybe this idea isn't so crazy...

I so agree.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:59 pm 

DCJ wrote:
Gosh, don't we all want another 8 or 9 dub/dance/electronica remixes of Alphaville and Shameless!

I, for one, don't want that. To my mind this in regurgitating and not creating. Plus I don't actually understand what input, if any, Bryan puts into these remixes or where the market is for this material. Can anybody explain please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:22 pm 

Avondale:
My "request" for more remixes was made tongue-in-cheek. I agree with you that we have had enough remixes to last for years to come.

I too wonder what the market is for such remixes. I can only surmise that DJs might use them at dance clubs, electronica festivals, etc. Other than that, it's hard to perceive a market of any consequence. But maybe I just don't understand the modern music industry...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm 

DCJ

Yes, I picked up on the tongue in cheek nature of your comment; it would have been impossible not to as it was so wickedly done. I was more concerned that anybody might think that I had been lobbying for more of this stuff.

Like you, I think that my problem is that I don't understand the modern music industry - or many of the other things that are going on nowadays, for that matter. Even worse, I can't be bothered trying to understand them most of the time.

My son is a DJ in his spare time so I will try to ask him for a simple explanation without exposing myself to his scorn. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm 

Avondale:
Sorry about my misinterpreting your previous message. Me bad.

I don't think BF is in the Music Business anymore. Yeah he plays music and does concerts, etc., but he's really in the Celebrity Business. Last week he helped some hotel in Hong Kong celebrate its 50th anniversary and he likely netted more from that one corporate gig than he does with ten public gigs with his (expensive) BFO.

BTW rooms at the Hong Kong hotel start at over $500 per night (but that includes breakfast!). Who knows what a nice suite might cost!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:31 pm 

BTW rooms at the Hong Kong hotel start at over $500 per night (but that includes breakfast!). Who knows what a nice suite might cost!

Sounds like Mrs Smudge & I got a bargain then, as we're fairly sure we stayed at that hotel during the stopovers for our two Australian trips. The prices of our 5* hotels in both Bangkok & Hong Kong were itemised in our tour itineraries and, from memory, I don't think we paid more than £50 per night and the rooms were very nice... :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:07 pm 

Here's the link that indicated the room charge per night.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/arti ... ryan-ferry

If it's the same hotel Smudge, you did get a bargain. Good for you!!!