VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: pure greed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm 

Like what u like, enjoy what u enjoy, and don't take crap from anybody.

Couldn't agree more!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm 

No, I don't agree that EJ and RS are in any way great (far from it). But they are popular - and that was my point: quantitative and not qualitative. (each to their own)

Personally I think it's a mugs game paying that sort of money to see anyone but, that aside, EJ and RS are far more popular than RM. You can't compare them on that basis and so I would expect EJ etc to achieve far higher prices.

As for being tight. Maybe. I prefer "sane". And clearly others in the Forum agree regarding the current prices. As do many outside judging by the number of tickets still available to purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm 

DO YOU REALLY THINK BRYAN DECIDES THE TICKET PRICE...U IDIOT!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 am 

abusive.

It matters not one jot who decides the price. That is not the point. It is, in fact, the perceived market which governs price - which inevitably makes the most popular the most expensive. But there is usually little no correlation between popularity and "best" (however defined).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 am 

nesta22 wrote:
£65 is a ridiculous amount to expect hard up fans to pay Mr multimillionaire Ferry. Really disappointed, I cant afford £50 (back seat)/£65 get real :(

We are talking about a Roxy Music tour aren't we so it's unlikely all the ticket proceeds go to "Mr multimillionaire Ferry". There is the small issue of the other band members, additional musicians, backing singers, technicians, sound engineers, stage crew, road crew, drivers etc. Do they not deserve to get decent pay for their services?

I have read a lot of griping about the ticket prices but as a fan of live music and regular concert attendee (of many different artists) the Roxy Music tickets are priced at what you would expect for a band at their level.

Ticket purchase is optional, not compulsory.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am 

I think it is a bit harsh to blame Bryan for the high ticket prices. Maybe you should blame Phil and Andy for insisting on an equal share of the receipts.

Although the band do not set the ticket prices, they do negotiate their cut of the proceeds. In 2001 Bryan, Phil and Andy were each offered a 7 figure sum for the world tour. The ticket prices would have been based around this.

As a previous poster said 'ticket purchase is optional, not compulsory'. Which is why my seat and I guess many others will be empty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 am 

I saw the Manifesto tour for $7.50 US The best Roxy tour by far!
The price of a few Starbucks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:42 pm 

I am certainly not an idiot, I'm sure Mr Ferry and co have some input thats how he is a multimillionaire 'you idiot' - I paid around £40 for Metallica (2 other bands on) and around £35 for the Foo Fighters (again 2 other bands on). Both great gigs. Paid £35 for Crowded House in May, City Hall Newcastle. Massive band, great concert, great atmosphere.
Roxy are charging far too much in my book, fine if you have got pots of money to throw around, I dont. I know a few people who went to see Mr Stewart and thought he was past it. Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm 

I paid AUD $190 ( £109) for Roxy's 2011 Brisbane show (3rd row Gold Section). It's comparable to other established artists travelling from the US and UK.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:40 pm 

I wanted to see Simon and Garfunkel when they were in the UK but tickets were £125!!! I've seen Crowded House and Roxy Music at the Manchester Evening News Arena and don't recall a great difference in ticket price. If there was, it is worth noting that Crowded House have one third of the number of musicians on stage.

O