VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The 2001 Tour
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am 

Does anyone else think that, musically, and in terms of a performance and tour, Roxy Music was at it's (note the terminology, "at it's!) prime, on the 2001 re-union tour? I have looked backwards, and forwards, and I have come to the conclusion that, despite the hype, and euphoria about the band, circa the first five studio albums, and Eno, Roxy were at their best on the 2001 tour.

The only thing that throws me is the mighty If There Is Something, live from Newcastle City Hall, '74. Surely Roxy's finest.

Hmmm?

Back to the drawing board.

Cheers anyway. x

Post subject: Re: The 2001 Tour
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am 

Mon Ami,
Windswept is in total agreement.
The 2001 tour was a complete triumph. I was lucky enough to catch it at NYC's little garden (much better than the larger venue) and they were fantastic. The line up gave the whole thing a new frisson and our hero was energised. The house was on fire!
I saw the same show again in 2003 at NYC's Radio City (didn't realise it was going to be the same set list) but by this time their flame was wavering.
By 2012, although I was much enthused by the set list, the show — at least the one in Sydney - just didn't have the same gusto.
Happily the flame has burned stronger than ever in all subsequent 'Ferry' shows and last years AEWBF has been the definitive triumph thus fare.
Sacrilege to the feather boa brigade but true!
Regards,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:18 am 

Yes, I agree, 2001 was something special. They all seemed to enjoy the reunion themselves; Lucy Wilkins energy and Beauty Queen Julia Thornton added positive vibes. Also the concert I went to in 2005 or -06 was good. The one at 02 during FYP tour was, despite the exciting set list, somehow disappointing. I guess BF felt it was time to turn the page at that time. The solo concerts i have been to since then have all been brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm 

I think Roxy were at their best, in terms of live performance, on the "Country Life" tour. The band's playing, BF's vocal performance and the setlist were amazing. They also had John Wetton as guest bassist, easily their best.
Also this was a "band" in the true sense of the word.
There were no session musicians, backing singers or uneeded extras on stage just 6 guys playing brilliantly.
All other tours, RM and BF, have been excellent, some better than others, but I think '74 was the live musical peak. Oh, and the feather boas were long gone by then mon ami.
;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 pm 

I will always have a fondness for the Flesh + Blood tour as Roxy at Wembley Arena was my first-ever gig. And I thought the blinds going up slowly during "Bogus Man" were a brilliant touch.

In 2001 everyone seemed genuinely overjoyed to be playing together again. By the subsequent tours the lack of any new material squeezed the life out of it, I felt, even though there were undoubted highs in the FYP tour setlists. "Let's Stick Together" suddenly became treated like a Roxy song. Maybe in 2001 Phil and Andy thought it might lead to new recordings but by 2012 they realised it wouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm 

I have long held the view 2001 was Roxy's finest hour in terms of live performance. Yes they had moments of greatness in their recording prime, but I'd argue that by 2001 they were all at the height of their musical and performing powers and that, indeed, it hasn't been bettered since.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 am 

True 2 Life.

I go along with you, totally, about the flesh and blood tour. I had the honour of being at both nights at The Apollo, but further to that, spent the second afternoon with them at The Albany Hotel. After the concert, there was me, a friend, Andy, Phil, Mrs Manzanera, Jane Mackay, stood at the back of the theatre waiting on the taxi's.

A moment to treasure. No whippet's though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 am 

2001 was a great tour and the Live Album that resulted was excellent.

But it's hard to disagree with Mr. Rifff that the Country Life tour with John Wetton didn't set a high water mark. His bass playing on OOTB was a wonder. It was also the last band to perform without back-up singers...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:06 pm 

Yep - 2001 was IMHO the best live Roxy experience and benefitted from the improvements in sound technology, the band's playing and the fact they seemed to be having a good time and the addition of other musicians who didn't try and overshadow the original music and performers.

That said I still believe the 74 Country Life tour was probably the band at its best - the material was great, the playing powerful and the visuals iconic - just a listen to the Newcastle show underlines how powerful they were in 74.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm 

Richard wrote:
Yep - 2001 was IMHO the best live Roxy experience and benefitted from the improvements in sound technology, the band's playing and the fact they seemed to be having a good time and the addition of other musicians who didn't try and overshadow the original music and performers.

That said I still believe the 74 Country Life tour was probably the band at its best - the material was great, the playing powerful and the visuals iconic - just a listen to the Newcastle show underlines how powerful they were in 74.

Richard, exactly my view on all counts. both were great tours.