VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Merchandise ideas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 am 

If contractual problems or record company difficulties were to put the mockers on the idea of 40th anniversary boxed sets of the Roxy albums (and, while I hope this doesn't happen, the first three are already overdue!), maybe the unreleased goodies could find another outlet?

I'm thinking of budget priced multi-disc sets along these lines:

(1) the early years could be covered by any demo recordings and the various BBC radio sessions on CD, with maybe an accompanying DVD (e.g. the Golden Rose Of Montreux gig, if it still exists, and/or anything from the Royal College Of Art show that hasn't already been seen); and

(2) there could be a series of live sets from different eras, e.g. the earlier years could perhaps compile the shows which were taped and dipped into for Viva! (even though Newcastle '74 has been quite widely bootlegged), unless there's going to be a 2016 deluxe box...

Classic Rock magazine occasionally produces "fan packs" devoted to a particular band, e.g. there's one due for Bad Company, which will include a 100+ page magazine and a DVD covering the band's history, with interviews with the surviving members. Roxy's history may have been well enough covered in the More Than This DVD, so the free gift in any Roxy pack could perhaps instead be a DVD of the Wembley '75 show, if the film still exists (better in a deluxe Siren box, I agree, but...).

With many of the diehard fans now in the 50-65 age group, this music needs to be out there before we stop buying or, indeed, stop breathing! ;)

Post subject: Re: Merchandise ideas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm 

That sounds a good idea, there is I believe quite a stash of Ferry/Roxy live recordings at Ferry hq and Manzanera probably also has some, it could be a nice little earner for them through their respective websites especially if they were priced right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 am 

Up until now Roxy/BF have done almost nothing to make their archive/catalog of vintage concert recordings available to the public. Maybe this will change and we will all be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath...

The place to start would be with deluxe versions of the studio albums, but that initiative seems to have stalled out. Maybe it will be resuscitated, but when? After BF's (presumed) new album has run its course? Time keeps on slipping slipping into the future...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 am 

DCJ wrote:
Up until now Roxy/BF have done almost nothing to make their archive/catalog of vintage concert recordings available to the public. Maybe this will change and we will all be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath...

The place to start would be with deluxe versions of the studio albums, but that initiative seems to have stalled out. Maybe it will be resuscitated, but when? After BF's (presumed) new album has run its course? Time keeps on slipping slipping into the future...

By all accounts from J O'B all the spade work on the deluxe editions was done some while back and the releases stalled due to record company restructuring/internal politics. Surely it would require minimal further effort from those in a position to make these happen to get them released. If only the will was there....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 am 

Even Springsteen has now started making official recordings of his current tour available to download within days of the shows taking place. I'm not expecting BF to do this but you can't help feeling that, even with his live DVDs/BluRays, they come out much too long after the event.