VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mick Rock photographs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm 

I may be alone in being slow to pick up on this, but in 2010 there appear to have been four softback books of Mick Rock's photographs issued. Each one was about 7 inches square and issued in a tin with a relevant 7-inch vinyl single.

I mention this only because the one titled Glam! (the other three being devoted to Bowie, Syd Barrett & Iggy Pop) features Roxy heavily. :D

The picture on the tin seems to be the same one used for The Bryan Ferry Story by Rex Balfour (Simon Puxley's pseudonym, wasn't it?) and there are some beautiful 1970s photos of BF, Roxy & Eno in the book. Oh, and the 45rpm single is Virginia Plain b/w The Numberer on clear vinyl. :P

I found this by chance in a Swedish mail order site for the equivalent of a tenner plus postage, but subsequently bought it sealed from an Amazon seller for half that. I've seen it priced at £20-£30 elsewhere, though.

I can post the ISBN number here if anyone needs it. Likewise, if anyone draws a blank in the UK, I could try Sweden when I next order some CDs (the shipping for the book on its own would be prohibitive and double its price to about £20), as splitting the shipping cost might help.

Post subject: Re: Mick Rock photographs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm 

Were you hibernating back then Smudge? ;) It was actually 2011 and announced here on the VRM newspage and also over at BF.com. I think it may have only be available from Mick Rock/Bandstores. I ordered one up at the time and it came just in time for my birthday :) It is a very nice little thing to have and the photos are indeed quite beautiful. :)

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/news.php?n=353

http://www.bryanferry.com/mick-rock-glam-gift-tin/

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm 

Were you hibernating back then Smudge?

Must have been, Roxy! :oops: Still, on the bright side, if it was £20 (presumably plus postage) then, my total outlay of under £6 for a sealed copy at least leaves me smiling. :D

If anyone wants an even broader smile, I just found that the cheapest new copy on Amazon is currently only £5.17 (£3.91 plus £1.26 postage):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Virginia-Plain- ... inia+plain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 am 

Good spot Smudge! Definitely not "you snooze, you loose" in this case. :D

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 am 

In fairness to poor old Rik Kenton, I should point out that the only flaw I've found with this package is that the sleeve of the single wrongly credits Graham Simpson as the bassist on VP.

I assume that The Numberer was recorded at the same sessions and also features Rik, but I'm sure someone out there will let us know for sure. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 am 

Thanks for the info Smudge, I had been going to buy this for ages but the ones for sale on Ebay were always too expensive and I thought that the book was going to be full of Ziggy-era Bowie photos (which I now know is... and HATE! didn't that overrated pr**k have a book on his own?).
Anyway I bought the one you gave the link for on Amazon, so it was great for a fiver.
Some good pictures of Roxy/BF/Eno...and Peter Gabriel but far too many of Bowie/Lou Reed/Iggy etzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Plus those brickie's mates Spiders/Mott/Harley. I didn't realise Debbie Harry and Joan Jett were glam? :roll:
Rik Kenton was the bass player on VP not Graham Simpson.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 am 

Like Mr. Rifff, thanks to Smudge for bringing this up again; the cover photo is probably my favourite pic of Bryan (it was in the Siren tour programme and I used it to do my first ever etching at Art college - and I "lost" that programme and other artefacts via a revengeful mistress!), so a friend at work ordered this on my behalf as an early birthday gift. It arrived this morning. It's next to me now, still sealed, looks great, too perfect to open.....ooooohhh I love this teasing temptation.

Mick Rock produced some amazing work and his photos are inextricably linked with my 70s world, seeing his images always makes me smile and brings back some great memories.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm 

Glad if the post was helpful, Rendezvous & Mr Rifff; another small victory for the VRM forum! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

For anyone in or near south east London, Head Records in Bromley have a few pristine, sealed copies of this at £6.