VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What about Paul?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:34 am 

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but does anyone know why TGPT has been dropped from the official Roxy Music details of the UK tour. He was named in the Sunday Times advert, but the site now only mentions the big three. Has there been a falling out?

Post subject: Re: What about Paul?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 am 

I noticed that. It seems that he isn't part of Roxy any more and is just a hired hand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm 

When the 2001 reunion tour was being proposed Roxy was Bryan, Phil & Andy - as for the last 2 studio albums. When Paul 'left' after Manifesto I imagine the others took on any legal rights to the name. Paul became the drummer for the 2001 tour on I believe Phil's insistance, so yes was a session player - although not in the fans minds of course!

Remember Bryan, Phil & Andy were each reportedly offered a 7 figure sum for the tour. So for arguments sake say they were getting £1 million each and Paul was then involved as a fully fledged member of the band. Well the £3 million pot would then be split 4 ways, meaning all four would then receive £750,000 each. OK the split might not have been exactly equal, but it would have made a severe dent in the other three's earnings. So it probably boils down to one thing:- MONEY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 pm 

Maybe Paul had just other obligations/plans. As Roxy isn't exactly a fulltime business anymore, that might easily be the reason. Why immediately think it's nothing but a money-issue? He was there in Lokeren, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm 

There's been loads of trouble over the years. I've heard the following stories.
The royalties from Angel Eyes caused some problems in 1979 as Bryan picked up more than Andy even though the song was co written.
Andy Newmark was paid more than Phil and Andy Mackay for the 1980 tour.
Bryan used to travel to gigs in limos while Andy Phil and Paul used to travel together by coach with any other band members.
When the first 2 albums came out Bryan picked up all the song writing royalties, plus one fifth of the arrangements and a similar split on tours which didn't leave much for Brian, Phil, Andy and Paul !
Roxy were always Bryan's band and couldn't exist without him, but there must have been a lot of friction over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:20 pm 

From Bryan Ferry's Twitter: "Sad news for Roxy 2010 Tour: the great Paul Thompson will be unable to play our final 4 dates for personal health reasons. Get well soon, PT"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:05 am 

You see? Thought it was something like that. Poor Paul, hope it's not too bad. He looks like a healthy guy, but ofcourse looking like a bear doesn't mean you can get ill. Must be something rather serious if they can say now in August that he won't be there in January next year :shock: :shock: ....?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:39 am 

Don't think they've mentioned January, Ann; Paul's only out for the final dates of 2010 at the moment and John O'B had posted elsewhere on the site that Paul hopes to be back for the FYP tour. I certainly hope so; the early songs don't feel like Roxy without his input.

The reference to the final 4 dates of 2010 puzzled me; I could only remember Paris, Dublin & the Isle of Wight on the near horizon, so have I overlooked one?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 am 

Is Bonn (Germany) on Ist Seotember still on ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:55 am 

If Bonn is still on... I hope so... I just got my tickets!
Best wishes to Paul Thompson.