VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The underrated or even forgotten gems of Roxy Music
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 am 

RoxySiren wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:

As The World Turns
Four Letter Love
The Chosen One
Zamba
Gemini Moon
Hiroshima
Me oh My
J.O'B

If we're talking bf material, I endorse all these totally. Hugely underrated. Plus:
Tender is the Night
This island earth (if that is indeed forgotten)
Which Way to Turn
(Actually, loads of mamouna )
Boys and Girls
Until recently, ATAP was a forgotten gem. Now better remembered.

Err sorry, but I thought it's a forgotten gems of Roxy Music thread not BF?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:39 am 

Bitters End, Would You Believe and Grey Lagoons. Three early ones that seemed to have fallen out of time even in 1972/3. And pure poetry ("Pale fountains fizzing forth pink gin"). Not to forget Chance Meeting and The Bogus Man. So wonderfully strange. And Eno-esque ...

A Ferry/Jobson (!) song that is always growing on me is "As The World Turns". Melancholy at its best. Could be a Roxy one.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 am 

Gary wrote:
RoxySiren wrote:
VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:

As The World Turns
Four Letter Love
The Chosen One
Zamba
Gemini Moon
Hiroshima
Me oh My
J.O'B

If we're talking bf material, I endorse all these totally. Hugely underrated. Plus:
Tender is the Night
This island earth (if that is indeed forgotten)
Which Way to Turn
(Actually, loads of mamouna )
Boys and Girls
Until recently, ATAP was a forgotten gem. Now better remembered.

Err sorry, but I thought it's a forgotten gems of Roxy Music thread not BF?

Fellow Dilettantes,
Windswept must confer with the great Roxysiren regarding 'Tender Is The Night'. This is a fabulous song and it's always interesting to consider the tracks that you play most from a particular LP a couple of years after its release. With 'Olympia' it's the aforementioned plus 'Reason or Rhyme' and 'Alphaville'
Sadly 'Tender Is The Night' has not, to the best of my knowledge, been played live and it would appear 'Reason or Rhyme' has become our hero's keeper.
To digress, I was listening to 'Manifesto' the other day and I was reflecting on how frustrating it is as a song. It has a great intro and build but then it goes nowhere. Perhaps there is supposed to be something tantric about it but for me it's a bit of a missed opportunity. Perhaps it's something our hero could revisit to see if he can bring it to fruition?
Must go, my butler has another proposal for my Belfast valise!
a bien tot,
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 am 

Just another high

New town
Zamba
The name of the game
Bête noir
almost all songs on "Mamouna"
Me oh my

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 am 

-Have to agree with Windswept2 regarding the song "Manifesto". Sure it has great intro and build, but it goes nowhere. It needs fruition. So far it`s a song for fans only, causing blank stares among most of the audience. Let`s hope our great hero will complete it some day.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 am 

Roxology is a broad church as Monsieur Windswept2 always puts it ... and so I listened to "Manifesto" several times and wondered whether it is that bad ... ok, not one of their milestones ... but remember that we are talking about an album that contains "Cry Cry Cry" :cry: Or should we start another thread about quite rightly forgotten Roxy tracks 8-) ?

Concerning Bryan Ferry's solo work: I do like "Olympia", especially "Song For The Siren" and "No Face, No Name, No Number", but I don't want to listen to neither the original nor the numerous remixes of "You Can Dance". Simply monotonous, sorry ... Gorgeous video, at least.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:46 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Roxology is a broad church as Monsieur Windswept2 always puts it ... and so I listened to "Manifesto" several times and wondered whether it is that bad ... neither the original nor the numerous remixes of "You Can Dance". Simply monotonous, sorry ... Gorgeous video, at least.

Cher Pianoman,
Perhaps Windswept has miscomunicated - I actually like 'Manifesto'. I just think our hero should finish it. Perhaps it could be a great ruse to get the band back together. Instead of doing new stuff, let's do 'Manifesto Deux'!
Regarding 'You Can Dance', Windswept couldn't agree more, c'est un chanson fatigant mais, the video certainly adds a frisson. Our hero just made it for the wrong song, should have been for 'Alphaville'.
Must go, my butler has more suggestions for my Dublin wardrobe, if he doesn't get it right soon I'm going to fire him and phone Antony Price!
a bien tôt,
Windswept

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:17 pm 

No, no, no! 'Manifesto' requires no tinkering. It and 'Spin Me Round' are standout tracks and fantastically different bookends to the album.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

"Tender Is The Night " was done live at the Paris radio broadcast show. Nice version with the French radio announcer talking over the intro. Other nice gems in that show that he later dropped from the Olympia tour. It's out there. PM if you need a copy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:52 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
pianoman wrote:
Roxology is a broad church as Monsieur Windswept2 always puts it ... and so I listened to "Manifesto" several times and wondered whether it is that bad ... neither the original nor the numerous remixes of "You Can Dance". Simply monotonous, sorry ... Gorgeous video, at least.

Cher Pianoman,
Perhaps Windswept has miscomunicated - I actually like 'Manifesto'. I just think our hero should finish it. Perhaps it could be a great ruse to get the band back together. Instead of doing new stuff, let's do 'Manifesto Deux'!
Regarding 'You Can Dance', Windswept couldn't agree more, c'est un chanson fatigant mais, the video certainly adds a frisson. Our hero just made it for the wrong song, should have been for 'Alphaville'.
Must go, my butler has more suggestions for my Dublin wardrobe, if he doesn't get it right soon I'm going to fire him and phone Antony Price!
a bien tôt,
Windswept

- No, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!! New stuff also, please! I like "You Can Dance". I don`t like Alphaville!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next