VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Avalon Tour 1982
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:59 pm 

Yeah, lucky coincidence, maybe some other tour dates will come up. For me those were two very memorable nights. I was only 14 and really fanatic, and going to concerts was still new and exciting. And besides, as I've already told in another thread, during one of these two concerts the fans have actually stormed the stage. So maybe it was a memorable event for Roxy Music too. ;)

Lonely Dreamer wrote:
(...) Unfortunately I haven't seen him live in quite some while now, I know that's inexcusable :oops: But maybe I can make up for that by telling you about the first time I ever saw him live. That was during the Avalon tour and Roxy Music were playing in Hamburg on two consecutive nights. I went to both concerts, of course, having really good tickets in the front.

During one of these two concerts the crowd really went mad and everybody got up from their seats and stood and danced in front of the stage - me of course among them. Nothing special so far, but then after a while curiously some people started to sit on the stage, and then all of a sudden somehow everybody around me started to climb on the stage. Being quite a fanatic 14 year old teenager at that time I would be lying if I told you that I would have tried to resist that movement, so please don't ask me how and why, but all of a sudden I found myself standing on the stage - along with about two hundred other people - directly in front of the maestro and the band.

They continued to play as if nothing happened, maybe even a bit amused by seeing the crowd going so mad, and for everybody who got on the stage it was a great experience. For the rest of the audience it must have been quite a bit of a turn-off seeing a row of butts instead of Roxy Music. Looking back I think this was really an awful thing to do, but I can't change it now - and I could not have changed it then. It was a really great concert, I hope the rest of the crowd could still enjoy it. I certainly did :D

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10488#p10488

I think that must have been during the second night, on the 14th, otherwise I couldn't imagine that the critic would not have mentioned it in his review of the first show. I can't believe this is now 32 years ago....