VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ROXY - THE WEST END MUSICAL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am 

Philosophical Philanderers,
After much reflection following a visit to the fabulous Kink's musical, 'Sunny Afternoon', Windswept has come to the conclusion that the next Roxy project should not be another stressful reunion tour or a forlorn attempt to produce the ninth studio album.
Desirable as both projects are to some, we have to accept the reality that neither are likely. Probably in no small part because they simply don't motivate the band.
Geordie's favourite son has often said that if there is a recording future for Roxy it may be scoring a movie or making an instrumental album.
Windswept thinks that the songs have the depth and the emotional complexity to fill a stage and that a great and innovative route forward for the band would be to produce 'Roxy Music - The Musical'.
All the key ingredients are there: Fabulous colourful characters, amazing costumes, cinematic songs and above all a great story about a band that created the genre of art rock.
Windswept finds the idea completely compelling and although the casting would be a nightmare, he thinks the band's story has all the ingredients to make the rock musical of all time and would love to know the view of renowned Roxologists.
a bien tôt,
W

Post subject: Re: ROXY - THE WEST END MUSICAL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm 

A fine idea WS2. The musical material is certainly there and all it would take is for BF to embrace the project and see through all the details necessary to actually bring it into production.

Sigh.

BTW, yesterday I listened to BF's recent BBC2 interview where the hosts played Serenade (along with LTL and J&M). When queried about Serenade (which is truly one of the great lost Roxy tracks with TGPT at his finest) BF feigned complete ignorance of the song and almost made it sound as if he had no memory of it whatsoever. Oh well. So much for the rich character and depth of the Roxy catalog...

Anyway, if BF wants to do a Roxy musical it will likely happen. But if he couldn't work with PM and AM on a new album then I don't think he will be inclined to work with them on a musical. It would require too much sustained interaction with the two other legal partners that comprise the Roxy business enterprise. Of course, if a promoter threw enough $$$ his way perhaps the equation would change, but this is unlikely given that there is no chance a successful production could be expanded into the USA market.

The Kinks have a big following in The States and I suspect "Sunny Afternoon" will hit New York sometime in the next few years. But with Roxy it is a different story...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

In one of the recent interview when asked about old RM recordings and in the studio 2006 he replied "never say never".
A rather large carrot dangled by Mr Ferry....... :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:50 pm 

Right. There was something about a few old Roxy tracks perhaps lying about that maybe could be finished someday... Great. Wonderful. Can't wait.

BF is the King of the Carrot Danglers (KCD). Remember last spring when he made a reference to getting together with Andy for a chat. Or somesuch.

For the foreseeable future it appears that BF's business plan is to tour with Roxy Lite and keep firm control over the tour proceeds. That looks to be how he intends to keep his financial affairs in order for the foreseeable future. OK. That's his call. But he also appears to be a compulsive dangler... Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm 

DCJ wrote:
. "When queried about Serenade (which is truly one of the great lost Roxy tracks with TGPT at his finest) BF feigned complete ignorance of the song and almost made it sound as if he had no memory of it whatsoever."

"given that there is no chance a successful production could be expanded into the USA market.
The Kinks have a big following in The States and I suspect "Sunny Afternoon" will hit New York sometime in the next few years. But with Roxy it is a different story…
"

Cher DJC,
This is extremely worrying, Windswept finds himself agreeing with you in a monotonous fashion.
He too found our hero's apparent indifference to 'Serenade' a little bizarre. It is a fabulous track and you are spot on about TGPT's contribution. A finer pummelling of the skins is difficult to name.
It is also true that musicals are difficult without the prospect of a Broadway run — albeit not impossible.
The Kink's 'Sunny Afternoon' had a great run in Hampstead before transferring to the West End and is justifiably a complete sell out with a relatively small cast so hopefully, they are getting their crust.
Windswept dreams of this 'ROXY' project — there are just so many possibilities. There early costumes were even made for musicals. Imagine how great that Eno character with his feather boa will look in a theatre!
a bien tôt,
W

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm 

WS2
I take our seeming convergence to be not a portent of the impending apocalypse, but rather a sign that there is still hope in this dark world and that the end days are not yet nigh.

I have become a bit superstitious of late (learn from your mystics is my only advice), ever watchful of routines and structured patterns as my day unwinds. But I also take care to do what is not to be expected at selected moments and thus break the spell that can become the tyrant.

So let us embrace the overlap of our Venn Diagram and take a sip of Kool-Aid in celebration of Life!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 am 

Good Evening to all Fellow Roxyologists and Ferrryistas! It's Lori! May I share some thoughts and insights of My own Here? If any and all Members/Fans Here would kindly search for Bryan Ferry's Interview on another Internet Radio Show, Sound Check. Bryan did talk about the fact that There are at least 1 or 2 as yet UNFINISHED Roxy Music Albums. I bet that 1 of Them is indeed the aborted/shelved Roxy Music Reunion Album from between 2005-2010. The other possible 1 is ! Roxy Music was working on back in the late 70's early 80's maybe! So Bryan has been starting to have a change of Heart as to PERMANENTLY closing the Door on Roxy Music. Now there could be several reason for this. I can only venture to guess as to what They are. Yes I do know that Bryan has eluded to the fact that any Future Roxy Music Albums would possibly Movie Sound-Track Albums or Instrumental Albums.
I My-Self would NOT want either of the above options It would be settling for SECOND best. Now A Roxy Music Musical I say BRING IT ON.
Yes A Roxy Music Musical would be a sucsess In The U.S.A. Market if it was done in ALL of the Major Markets. No Secondary or Tertiary Markets.
I am sure that Stateside Fans would agree. So don't sell it short There.
As for Bryan Ferry Touring with Roxy Lite, I tend to agree with You DCJ. Bryan has A Second set of Divorce Bills to pay. So He has to be Cost concious for now.
Maybe after a unspecified period of time goes by and He sees how much Money He has saved to be able to pay those Second set of Divorce Bills then after They are all PAYED off then the Time may be Right for the REAL Roxy Music to Re-Emerge. Remember his Roxy Music band-mates are also very busy with Their own material Musically too Right Now.
He does say that They do keep in touch from Time to Time so We just NEVER know.
Also We have to keep in Mind that Bryan Ferry likes to play with A whole different variety of Musicians to not sit on His Laurels and to change it Up.
He has also said that playing with Younger Musicians give Him inspiration and He feeds Off of Their Energy and Vitality.Keeps Him on His Toes and moving.
I My-Self would LOVE to see A Roxy Music Musical! I can See it from A Promoter's point of View too that just conquering The U.K. Market and the rest of the World's Markets would not be enough. As the Major Money is in The North American Market Nothing in the Music Profession can survive without That market's Money Long-Term.
North American Money does trump all others Sorry if I have offended any One Here, but History and the Evidence of this does speak for it's Self.
A Roxy Music Musical may be a Huge Sucsess in Canada. That market is slightly different that the U.S.A Market is they are Fans that do appreciate different things Musically. Mexico I am not so sure about. Although There are LOADS of Mexican Fans on Face Book BEGGING Bryan Ferry to conduct a Major Tour of Mexico as A Soloist as He now is currently. So that may tell You something There. What is the current Exchange rate between both The Mexican Peso and The Canadian Dollar to The British Pound These days? Ditto for The American Dollar?
that may also tell a lot.
There are also many Fans on Face Book from The U.S.A Who want Him back.
My-Self included.
There are endless possibilities with Roxy Music. Bryan just has to realize it. maybe what He needs is some input Fans and Music People to advise Him on ideas!
One never knows what may be " Looking Around Corners "
Love to all Who post Here in These Hallowed Cyber Halls of Justice, Lori.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:12 am 

I went back to the Sound Check webpage to check the BF interview again. Here's their transcription of the relevant section of the recent interview in NYC:

Bryan Ferry, on a reunion or release of old tapes with Roxy Music:

"There might be one or two lying around in the vaults. You never know. I guess the main thing is I've been so busy the last few years working on my solo tour and in the studio. There are one or two items that are unfinished that would be nice to be completed."

In my view, I don't read "items" as albums in this context, but others might disagree.

Hey, I wish BF and Roxy were more popular in The States and would tour more. And it would be great if I thought that Roxy the Musical could be a hit in The States. But I don't. The recent BF gig at the Tower Theatre in Philly drew a good crowd, but it wasn't close to a sell-out (the Tower capacity is max 2000).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 am 

Good Evening to all Fellow Rozyologists and feryistas! It's Lori. I want to offer a few more thoughts. Remember that There are Huge Pockets of A " Artists and Art_House Cultures " as it Where in The U.S.A. Primariely in The South Florida Region from Miami to Key West.
a Huge Performing Arts Culture in New York City and vacinity. The most famous One is in San Fransisco. Remember the Days of Height-Ashbury that Whole Hippie and Artists Counter Culture thing from The 1960's? It is still alive there in Pockets. there is also One in Chicago and Detroit. Cleveland Ohio was practically Roxy Music's Second Home for a bit.It is also the HOME of the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame too! So all is not completely lost Here. I took it as the 1 or 2 items that Bryan Ferry mentioned as They are indeed Albums. So A Roxy Music Musical can play very well in the Artist's Colony Regions in The U.S.A. That may have to be what is settled for.I so wanted to Go see Bryan at The Tower Theater in Philly so bad Finances and Timing did not agree. Besides I had NO ONE to Go to with Me to share it with. My Health was not Good at the Time either.As that may have been My ONLY chance to do so. I hope He has Date in P.A on the Horizon for next Year. The Hershey Theater only 10-15 Miles way from Me would just perfect for Him. Steven or David Morrissey from The Smiths was booked There before He cancelled Out. I was so hoping that Bryan would have been called upon to fill in for that Date. I would have been There with My Dancing Shoes and Bells On! Alas No Luck. It is breaking My Heart in so many ways that I cannot Go to SEE/HEAR Him and experience His Legend First-hand.
Here is hoping for next year for The " Avonmore" Tour.
Life really is Bad for A State Side Fan is it not?
Roxy Music will ALWAYS be with Us in Spirit No matter " What Goes On " Though, Right?
Love to all, Lori.