VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Roxy Music
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:03 pm 

I thought Roxy were still amazing at the Isle Of Wight festival in 2005, and again their only London show in 2006, and I found them equally as good as they were in 2001. London at the o2 (the last UK gig to date?) I thought they were again magic, but I agree with what Windswept says, I would say it was down to the lack of band interaction and Ferry hardly said a word!

However, if box sets are pending of the first two albums it would still be nice to have the Newcastle City Hall as a bonus on 'Country Life'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:29 pm 

Phil's comments to Rolling Stone were also reported online by The Guardian, although without any reference to the possibility of him touring Gilmour's next album:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/n ... -manzanera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:35 pm 

Fantastic news that we will finally see the box sets of the first two RM albums next year according to PM.
Sad though that there won't be any future RM concerts but I can live that after seeing RM live on their reunion tour in 2001.
Many like myself would have been delighted to have experienced their final album after touring ended in 2006 but unfortunately that didn't happen.
I still remember the footage showing RM in the studio together again for the first time in more than 30 years:
Ferry,MacKay,Manzanera,TGPT,Eno,Chris Thomas and Guy Pratt.
It gave me the goosebumps!
Anyway,we should be grateful for what RM brought us through the years: great albums and remarkable concerts.
Roxy Music will never die!

Regards,
Henrik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:31 pm 

As a long time fan both of RM and BF I am not really surprised about these news. And I also think it`s the best option. A new Roxy album is without any doubt high risk. In comparison to they heydays from 72 - 75 it`s just impossible to make a record that satisfies public and critics in the same way. There would be a certain danger of damaging their enduring reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:04 pm 

I'm not so sure, having heard Phil play guitar on the latest Jack Bruce album, it really was out in the forefront like early Roxy, instead of being buried in the mix on a Ferry solo album. I don't think they are making the best of what they have and they could come up with something fascinating if they wanted too. As I said earlier, it's nearly fourteen years since they reformed and if they really wanted to do it then I'm sure it would have happened by now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:23 am 

When Bryan say that there are two pieces of that time of studio recording (2005/2006) that he wants to finish, that it will happen.

I think the album is therefore not published, because Phil has given to many water levels and thus Bryan has lost control of the project. He had better remain silent. Bryan started his great career with Roxy and he will stop with his old companion. Since I am very sure. Only the time that he determines himself, and that's his good right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 pm 

My view on it is that Ferry doesn't want to release a Roxy album because:
A) it would almost certainly spend a week or two at number one and
B) would then eclipse everything he has done since Avalon...whether it is good or great...

I don't think the band are worried about comparisons with the past...they wouldn't release it unless they felt it reflected where they are now...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:51 pm 

Ferry does not wish to release a Roxy Music album because Roxy Music wrapped up over 30 years ago. Some might say longer ago than that.

And that is that. Everything else is just nostalgia.
The 2006 sessions were just an experiment , and a visual for a documentary.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:57 am 

That track they are playing in the 2006 session, doesn't that sound a bit like 'Alphaville'?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:

And that is that. Everything else is just nostalgia.
The 2006 sessions were just an experiment , and a visual for a documentary.

I think avalon_eyes has it in a nutshell there. Most of those quotes have been said or printed before and I didn't really feel anything when I read the Rollong Stone article.

8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next