It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: RIP Roxy Music
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:07 pm 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20141103

xxxxxx

Post subject: Re: RIP Roxy Music
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:22 pm 

A box set of the first 2 albums is I guess something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm 

Well at least Phil tells it as it is!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 pm 

Thank you Richard for posting this article. Phil tells us something we always anticipated but don't really want to read. No concerts any more, no completed album from 2005/2006. At least the box set is something not only the feather boa fraction is looking forward to ;) .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:15 am 

Interesting.

PM seems to be telling BF "Hey, I got a nice gig lined up with David Gilmour when he tours to support his new solo album, and being co-producer on the new Floyd album was also a pretty nice gig. So don't think that me and Andy are waiting like lap dogs in case you decide to do something with Roxy again."

BF is in the midst of a seemingly never-ending solo tour with Roxy Lite and in the short term it's a fruitful endeavor that will give a boost to the promotion of Avonmore. But ultimately BF risks being over-exposed with such incessant touring. And the fact that his voice is getting ever more frail and raspy doesn't help. I'm glad I saw him last month in Philly, but I've thought about it since, and realize that I wouldn't want to pay good money to see him play with Roxy Lite again. Just not worth it. Been there. Done that.

But if Phil ever played some club dates in the US I'd love to be there...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:44 am 

Danish paper as well....

http://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/intlmusikn ... 283191.ece

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 am 

You would think that if they wanted to do a new album it would have been done by now. 2006 is sometime ago and the recordings as we know morphed into 'Olympia'. Somewhere along the line the momentum was lost as was the enthusiasm.

I always felt that after the 2001 tour they should have gone into the studio then, but of course BF had his 'Frantic' album to promote and the tour, which in my opinion he toured that for far too long. 2004 I think it all wrapped up.

I remember seeing an interview with Phil after the 2001 shows where he says something like "The finished business I have is with Roxy, I believe we can still make a new album" or something like that. Whichever way you look at it BF has been on his own journey working on several projects since the 2006 sessions.

Who knows, maybe in ten years time like Pink Floyd they might polish this stuff up and we might still get an ninth album by Roxy Music. If they do decide that that is it then I can't help but feel it's a real shame. After all they are all still here and able to do something, and dare I say it perhaps one of the few bands around where everyone is still alive.

Maybe the idea of the new Pink Floyd album and Phil's statement might be a bit sobering for Bryan. If there ever was to be one last statement from the stage then my money is on 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:44 pm 

I don't know if Roxy was ever a genuine democracy - even in the early days it was still very much Bryan's vision both in terms of the music and the look. So a benevolent dictatorship, perhaps. Although there have been enough Ferry/Manzanera and Ferry/Mackay collaborations on record over the years to suggest that input from other band members was welcome back then.

I just feel that when the sessions in 2006 got underway it became too evident to Bryan that he'd got all too used to having sole say in what was done for twenty odd years and going back to a position where he might have to be answerable to other band members wasn't a road he wanted to travel on again at this stage of his career. So instead he tours the Roxy back catalogue with a bunch of hired hands.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:46 pm 

The shows in 2001 were a superb and long hoped for celebration of Roxy Music. Prior to 2000 it seemed very unlikely to ever happen. The recordings from it are great. For me the dynamics showed that it was Bryan's show and there would not be a Roxy#4. If there was to be a new album it would have to be something new and right for Roxy Music and it's legacy. It clearly wasn't right and perhaps we should be relieved that the legacy survives intact.

Phil says "Musicians like to do new things … It’s unfortunate for the fans, really, because they would like you to play the same old stuff forever and ever. And they go see it and they feel like, ‘Man, they aren’t as good as they used to be.'

I think Phil has been reading some of the forum comments over the years too.

Another retrospective show or two in a few years time might be a final fling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 pm 

Disappointed Dilettantes,
Windswept is not shocked or distressed by Signor Manzanera's comments and agrees with everything that True2life said (except his last sentence).
The 2001 Roxy reunion was fabulous but by the time the returned to the US and played Radio City in 2003, the sausage had lost its sizzle.
Eight years later, when Windswept saw them at their Sydney 'FYP' show, the musicianship was still intact but motivation had left the room and they sleepwalked their way through one of the best set lists they'd ever put together. Sad but true. That said, Windswept still went to bed happy because at their worst they are still great!
Windswept's anxiety is more linked to the Roxy Lite (™ DJC) scenario because last year's band and set was, IWNSHO, an absolute career high for our Roxy's leader and he is praying that normal service is resumed for next year's UK tour!
On the product front, Windswept no longer dreams of another Roxy box set. Son reve is for a DVD of 'AEWBF' or of the boys getting together to produce 'Roxy' the stage musical.
a bien tôt,
Windswept.