VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Roxy Music
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:27 am 

Le Freak, I probably wouldn't use the word "monstrosity" to characterize BF's recent treatment of Roxy and the 2005-06 recordings, but there is indeed something decidedly uncivil about how he has treated his former bandmates once he decided to pursue Dylanesque and the string of other recent solo projects.

Come January, I wonder if there will be a "photo-shoot" of BF, PM, AM, and TGPT to help publicize the deluxe reissues of the first two albums. Will they appear on any BBC radio shows together to promote the reissues? Hard to say. It would make commercial sense, but is that enough???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:27 am 

I can understand why he wanted to do 'Dylanesque', and as he says in 'The London Sessions' that he wanted to get away from it a bit and I think it was his intention to come back to the Roxy album the following year. We don't know if the whole project got bogged down in anyway, plus I think he wanted to get something quick onto the shelves as it had been almost five years since 'Frantic'. If he hadn't had done this album then I believe it wouldn't have made any difference to the Roxy album and we would still have got 'Olympia'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 am 

He is struggling to come up with new songs. He was hoping that Manzanera , Mackay and Thompson would come up with something to get the creative juices going again. Since Frantic in 2002, he has only come up with 7 new self written songs in 12 years Alphaville; You Can Dance; Tender is the Night, Loop Di Li and Midnight Train are old songs from the Mamouna/Alphaville sessions, 20 years ago.. Lost is from the Avalon sessions, 32 years ago !!! The rest are either cover versions or collaborations. So, not sure how cover versions or collaborations.would have worked with the other members of Roxy Music. Err....all figures and statements are approximates !!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am 

Always thought Roxy became the Bryan Ferry Band after Eno left, although Eno has said it always was Bryan's.

Bryan has been so prolific in recent years touring and recording, being creative. He has kept the old tunes alive with new interpretations, mixes, new audiences. AEWBF was probably one of the best tours which came of the back of the leftfield Jazz Age. Loving Johnny Marr's guitar on the incredible Avonmore. Great to have a solo album without any roxy credits on it. Enjoy the moment!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:53 am 

The 2005/6 Roxy recordings got caught up in Dylanesque and the subsequent tour and then the Olympia fiasco.

The For Your Pleasure tour got caught up in the Olympia tour - just compare the two line-ups and visual presentation.

That whole period leaves a nasty taste in my mouth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 pm 

I have the text passages that time stored on the pc, the link to this I have not unfortunately.

Guy Pratt 2006:

It is coming along fine, I have been involved here and there and it is a pleasure to work with these guys, a band whom I have admired since I was a kid. I shouldn’t comment too much on the album at this stage as things change all the time but I am sure it will be a great album.

why must it always be bryan, who has prevented the abum. a few years ago I read the following (maybe in 2010 ?):

"Everything seems nice and settled,but for some reason, the group won`t release it. The guitarist Phil Manzarena said they got bored, but producer Rhett Davis has long time ago said there is 10 songs which they all are pleased with."

Phil: "When we were last in the studio together Bryan said he couldn’t write lyrics any more or at least he couldn’t come up with lyrics that he felt suited Roxy. He has very high standards and if he feels something’s not right we have to respect that.

“I’ve still got those sketches on my iTunes but whether any of them will ever see the light of day, I don’t know. We would all like to do something new and interesting but there’s the Roxy legacy to consider. You want it to be amazing but you have to ask yourself: ‘Is this really good enough?’ It would have to be something very special, otherwise you might as well just get on with your gardening.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 pm 

Hmm, these comments are new to me. I thought I always stayed close to the channels of their utterances.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm 

Uwe wrote:
I have the text passages that time stored on the pc, the link to this I have not unfortunately.

Guy Pratt 2006:

It is coming along fine, I have been involved here and there and it is a pleasure to work with these guys, a band whom I have admired since I was a kid. I shouldn’t comment too much on the album at this stage as things change all the time but I am sure it will be a great album.

why must it always be bryan, who has prevented the abum. a few years ago I read the following (maybe in 2010 ?):

"Everything seems nice and settled,but for some reason, the group won`t release it. The guitarist Phil Manzarena said they got bored, but producer Rhett Davis has long time ago said there is 10 songs which they all are pleased with."

Phil: "When we were last in the studio together Bryan said he couldn’t write lyrics any more or at least he couldn’t come up with lyrics that he felt suited Roxy. He has very high standards and if he feels something’s not right we have to respect that.

“I’ve still got those sketches on my iTunes but whether any of them will ever see the light of day, I don’t know. We would all like to do something new and interesting but there’s the Roxy legacy to consider. You want it to be amazing but you have to ask yourself: ‘Is this really good enough?’ It would have to be something very special, otherwise you might as well just get on with your gardening.

Why is it always Ferry?- because it is

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:30 pm 

Interesting from Bryan over there:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/17/br ... ic-is-done

-Two tongued indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 pm 

I had to laugh when I saw the reference in the Toronto Sun piece to whether or not Roxy Music still had "chemistry." Ha! The Roxy Lite band I saw last month was serviceable, but to think that it possessed any special chemistry in terms of performing Roxy Music songs is pretty far-fetched if not ludicrous.

Let Phil M take a crack at playing guitar on Stronger Through the Years with support from TGPT and we'll see what kind of chemistry bubbles up....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next