VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: CD remasters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 pm 

I noticed a couple of nights ago that the London branch of the Fopp chain of record stores was selling new (many still factory sealed) copies of most of the RM and BF back catalogue of remastered CDs for only £3 each.

While Amazon.co.uk might broadly match the prices for some of these albums, Fopp's selection seemed broader. However, Fopp's offers sometimes only last for a few days (although their regular price for these CDs may only be £5) and I don't know if the offer extends to their other stores (in Bristol, Cambridge, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow & Edinburgh).

I'm guessing most members here will already have everything on CD (sad to think that there might be a household anywhere without a copy of For Your Pleasure! :o ), but there be some who might, at the right price, want to replace or add to the original vinyl or CD issues.

Don't know if Fopp does mail order, so if anyone's interested, but can't get to a Fopp store, I'd be prepared to be their "personal shopper" (postage or shipping at cost price) if they e-mail me offline. Hurry while stocks last, though!

Post subject: Re: CD remasters
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 am 

This probably is immaterial (like I said, I'm sure members will probably have everyrhing on CD already), but the shop's offer was still good last night, so I checked the available titles...

For RM they have all the studio albums except Avalon at £3 each, but not the live ones.

For BF they offer Another Time, Let's Stick Together, In Your Mind, The Bride Stripped Bare & Boys And Girls. Also at £3 each are As Time Goes By, Frantic & Dylanesque, which I don't think have been remastered yet.

For anyone who might be looking for a cheap copy of the recent Best Of BF (perhaps for the two bonus tracks?), they currently offer the CD only version for £4 (although probably the DVD would be of more interest to the diehard fans).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 pm 

A few weeks ago my local branch were selling the paperback version of the bracewell book Re-Make/Re-model for £2.00 :o

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 am 

Smudge, HMV online are also doing most of the same ones you list for £2.99 so for anyone who can't get to a Fopp........

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch ... roxy+music

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 am 

Good spot, Roxy; the HMV website could match all of the Fopp offers except Country Life & Dylanesque (HMV owns Fopp, so it's always surprised me that the parent company allows Fopp to undercut the HMV high street store prices so significantly...).

HMV also offers free UK postage, although overseas customers would get rather stung for airmail shipping (£2.50 per CD in Europe and £4.50 per CD elsewhere, if I read the small print correctly...).

Maybe all members should slip a £3 copy of FYP into the Christmas presents of some poor lost soul who hasn't yet heard it?! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 am 
Site Owner

What amazes me is that music has never been so cheap and even though we can buy these CDs for £3 some people still want music for free. I am surrounded by people at work who have no intention of buying music ever again. They wait until some else buys it then copy laptop to laptop via a memory stick. I have watched people in the space of a few minutes transfer the entire works of The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones U2, Bowie all in one go

No wonder artists are now doing corporate gigs for a living now and no wonder BF has had to release Olympia with 2 other 'collectors' versions.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm 

I have thousands of 7 and 12 inch singles and cds, housed in bedrooms number 3 and 4.
If I am sitting at my pc and want to hear a long forgotten track it is quicker for me to search and download for free at my pc than go up 2 flights of stairs and look for it!
The root of the problems of the music industry is that they had a wonderful and better sounding product in vinyl and chose to invent and market a format that could be copied...talk about shooting yerself in the foot!