VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:12 pm 

A Bryan Ferry box set would also be a thing to behold.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 am 

I leaped at the chance to get this. As I have posted in other threads I have joined the ranks of vinyl converts. As the vinyl Avonmore has shown there is new life in the 180 gram vinyl. I'm seeing a significant difference in sound fron the old non 180's. I played my clean copy of TBSB last night and it just didn't have the oomf of Avonmore. I was so happy to see this release and I know that there are a lot of naysayers out there but I think it's a smart move. I have to say that I really enjoyed the 70's and 80's and my old vinyls took the brunt of it. I think I went through a least two copies of ATAP. So for me to have the studios on 180 vinyl is a wish come true. I'm a much better boy ('er man)now. Also slightly related I just got the new Dylan Shadows Of The Night on 180 vinyl. It Also came with the free auto rip and a cd inside. On the vinyl you realy do hear things you don't in the download. Just a beautiful treatment of those Sinatra standards but probably not for everyone.
Now what I really want is Mamouna on 180. Hint to Bryan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:04 am 

Really looking forward to this release - I had to buy all my Roxy LP's in various independent stores, car boots, ebay etc so to have them all remastered and recreated in one box will be superb! I was happy for the CD box set a couple of years ago to be released too despite having the albums a few times over on CD already! I was also saying to a friend the other day about how many 'classic' albums from the days of vinyl would really have become classic albums had it been MP3 etc. The beauty of vinyl was the fact that you have to listen to the album the whole way through and not just 'click' on the songs that are your favourite or currently in the chart at the moment. It seemed more of an art with vinyl.

I work part time in the music industry and, with the revival of vinyl, I knew it would be only a matter of time before this set would be released. I know there are a lot of people who think that this box set is simply a 'rehash' and won't buy it, which is fine, but this box set is more commercially viable than any of the material that us 'real' Roxy fans want.

As sad as it is, it's a fact that we will never see a lot of the material that we want to see released by Roxy or Bryan. Despite there being a lot of material in the archives and everyone on the forums saying "they should release this, we would all buy it", whilst we would all buy it, that's not going to be enough to merit a commercial release. There are target sales that would have to be met in order to 'break even' and then from there create a profit and whilst, we may think that a product would sell, the reality is probably not enough.

Hopefully with the release of the 'Deluxe Edition' sets of the first two albums we will get the extra material we are all craving. This may well be how us fans do get an actual commercial release of this type of material and, as painful as it may be, we may just have to wait a good amount of time in between before each release. Even then though would we like to see a 'Deluxe Edition' set of Manifesto/Flesh & Blood with extra material - we all certainly would on here but commercially maybe not.

I often wish that Roxy/Bryan would think about setting up some kind of digital store. Whilst we wouldn't get the material in the nice packaging/artwork that we all like at least we would still get the material available to us. Also it would be a bit less costly on the commercial side of things although I'm not sure if Bryan would like his music to be marketed in such a way.

Anyway, as J.O'B. has said, there will have been a huge amount of effort gone into these sets to get them as close to the original as possible and a huge amount of work will have gone into making this so.

Unless there is an invention of a time machine in the future then this for me is going to be as close as I get to being in 1972 where it all began!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:03 pm 

Excellent post Scott, some really good points there!!

I don't see any problem with work going into make this vinyl box set as "deluxe and delightful" as possible. For that amount of cash a quality product is required. As you suggest the extras and demos will only appeal to a small minority and wouldn't attract big sales in the market place. I have also thought that perhaps they could develop the website for a fan membership type set up where these rare tracks could be made available at a reasonable cost or included in membership price which would give us access. That way you could buy only what you are interested in without having to duplicate albums that you already own just to get a few extras. Just a thought.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:43 pm 

There are many good reasons both for and against buying this boxset.

It is very expensive and I haven't yet decided if I'll buy this or not. I already have the original LPs, CDs & the recent boxset of CDs.

When Bryan released Olympia, I baulked at buying the LP book which was around £50 if I remember correctly. A few months later I managed to buy a new copy at a fraction of the price.

Maybe the same will happen with this set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm 

I also got a copy of the Olympia Deluxe set for £14. ;)

The opposite was the case for the Complete Studio Recordings CD set though as the price seemed to increase after it had been out for a few weeks.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm 

[quote="Scott"] The beauty of vinyl was the fact that you have to listen to the album the whole way through and not just 'click' on the songs that are your favourite or currently in the chart at the moment. It seemed more of an art with vinyl.

Mes Amis,
This is so true. W2 has tried to introduce this as a personal discipline and it really enhances enjoyment.
ATGB from start to finish is so much better than grabbing tracks or even listening to the most carefully constructed playlist of like songs.
It is art!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm 

Don't encourage them . unless you want endless reissues on vinyl, followed by the same but on coloured vinyl, or on a picture disc! What about something new and unheard before ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm 

Ian S wrote:
Don't encourage them . unless you want endless reissues on vinyl, followed by the same but on coloured vinyl, or on a picture disc! What about something new and unheard before ?

Cher Ian S,
Our thirst for the new, despite BF's prodigious output, will never be quenched but in recent years W2 has been so impressed by new arrangements of existing material he tends to think of this as the new future.
Listening to 'Bitter Sweet' from Le Grand Rex also makes him think that a live album from the AEWBF tour is an essential.
Also, sometimes what you think you listen to is not what you actually are spinning — last night W2 looked at his most played BF/Roxy album this year and it's 'The Jazz Age' not 'Avonmore'.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:35 pm 

To be honest,i always hope a DVD or CD recording is issued after every tour. Helps the old memory and there's always a little twist with any songs from the back catalogue. So,still hoping for Roxy Newcastle 1974, Wembley 1975, KOKO 2005, ROXY 2011, Bryan 1995, 2013 2014 and 2015 !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next