VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 am 

As others have posted on here this release seems to have required minimum effort to come into being so why not have released instead the deluxe versions of RM and FYP? Our webmaster told us long ago that time and effort had gone into these but that, if I remember correctly, record company issues had stalled their release at the time. I know vinyl is supposedly all the rage but how many copies of this do they seriously expect to sell?

It just seems rightly or wrongly that no one is acting as overall curator these days for the band's legacy. BF himself seems happy to move on and the others just seem a bit saddened by how things ended after the 2011 shows. It would be nice if Team Roxy (if they exist) proved me wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Owner

Vinyl has made a comeback for sure and those who want it can't get the entire catalogue in this box set, for those who don't want to buy it don't have to.

This sort of thing is not an exclusive thing to Roxy Music, everyone seems to be doing this so there is no need to beat them with a big stick.

This is released on a new record label so maybe this is part of that deal for their back catalogue (No more than an educated guess)

It has been suggested here that there has been very little effort put into this but I know that is simply not true. The sleeves are not just scanned digitized versions of the originals. Where possible they have, where possible gone back to the original slides etc for the photos and digitized them. The text has then been re-typed etc. I spent days with proofs pouring over every detail in the text making sure it is as close to the original as possible. The artwork is being re-compiled as if these sleeves were being made for the first time using today's technology, so they should look as pristine as they can, a lot of effort that maybe other artists wouldn't have bothered with.

If current markets dictate that this box set has to exist then you can be sure it is as best as possible.

As for the deluxe editions box sets that the die hards are looking for, it seems there are hints in the press that they are coming out this year. Maybe this box set is to raise the profile of the band in 'box set land' to support the individual album box sets when they come out?? That is no more than a guess too.

This box set is like anything on the record/CD shelves...... you buy it only if you want to.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:58 am 

My thoughts entirely, these have not been rattled off in a weekend.
Having purchased vinyl box sets recently by The Beatles, Cream and The Jam, I have to say I've been so impressed. We also have to think of the next generation of fans, I'm thirty six but have been a fan since I was eleven, and as I've mentioned before, I know about a dozen early twenty something's who will snap this up!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 am 

When the CD record system came out in the early 80s I bought a player and two discs: Roxy's 'The Atlantic Years' and The Pasadena Roof Orchestra's 'Best Of'. During the following years I gave all my Roxy/Ferry records away (except from 'RM' and 'FYP' with Island labels) because there weren't any noises that disturbed my listening.

Today I am still a CD fan but very sorry for having sold these treasures. I still own a turntable but I am not sure whether I will buy this box set. Well, some years ago I told everybody that I would never buy an iPhone but today ... ;) . Maybe the vinyl box set is really a good thing for young record lovers as said before in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 am 

LondonPubs wrote:
My thoughts entirely, these have not been rattled off in a weekend.
Having purchased vinyl box sets recently by The Beatles, Cream and The Jam, I have to say I've been so impressed. We also have to think of the next generation of fans, I'm thirty six but have been a fan since I was eleven, and as I've mentioned before, I know about a dozen early twenty something's who will snap this up!

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
C'est vrai, LondonPubs has a point.
Vinyl is gaining in popularity with the younger hipster and if it encourages people to listen to an album in its entirety, that has to be a good thing albeit W2 thinks he'll sit this one out. He went digital some time ago and if he feels the need to caress something, he's still got the originals.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:07 pm 

From my experience, vinyl LPs are practically impossible to wear out. Avalon, my most played Roxy LP, which I bought the day it was released, has just some visible wear, but still plays as new. The inner sleeve had to be strenghtened with some tape at all three edges, plus some tape at the edge of the cover that shows the contents, that`s all. It all has to do with life style, I guess. I`m never so drunk when putting a record on the turntable that any damage is done. They say CDs should be handled like newly laid eggs if you want to keep them for decades. Why not treat LPs the same way too?

Last edited by le freak on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:19 pm 

Buy it if you want, But,hey, don't buy it if you don't want to .Nobody has to buy nothing if they don't want to ! i agree ! It's all out in the open now !Hooray ! So,having got that mind blower out of the way, can I say that it seems like such a pointless waste of time. It won't sell significant amounts to even justify its release. Can somebody not work on releasing something worthwhile. BBC 1972 and 1973 sessions, Wembley 1975 video and audio recordings Newcastle 1974, Glasgow 1973, Dortmund 1980, Paris 1980, Bryan live at the RAH 1974 or the Argentina 1995 video,, Outakes , etc,etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 am 

Whilst I agree that, self-evidently, no-one need buy this unless they want to, it is a line increasingly used here and may be utilised even further if releases of this kind continue to find favour with this week's record company ahead of something more meaningful.
As for digitising the artwork, I'm struggling to see how something that's reproduced and has to be pored over to ensure it's faithful to the original can be in any way better than errrm the original.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 am 
Site Owner

I agree Richard the 'you don't have to buy it' line is easy to wheel out but the thing is this release is not an issue unique to Roxy Music. The record industry has changed over the years especially the last 10 years. Free downloads or making free clones on a CD-r cheaply and in minutes has screwed up the revenue stream of recording artist and record companies.

The industry seems to have been forced into ways of creating artefacts that are about owning in a real tactile way. This is mirrored by just about every artist now with box sets etc, not just Roxy.

My favourite period was the early 80's when you had an LP with nice artwork and sleeve notes, a single that had an unreleased song on the b-side and a 12" single with an extended version. If you needed portability you could buy a cassette.

I was in my local HMV yesterday and was pleasantly surprised not just to see quite a bit of vinyl but also Avonmore LP in among that. I had a chat with one of the staff and he says that vinyl is very popular especially among people in their 20's.

I don't think the artwork is being recreated to be faithful to the original but more like being scrubbed up and polished to look as good as it can with the technology we have now.

I remember being told in 1995, at the time of the much praised The Thrill Of It All box set that they had to release the BF/RM compilation 'More Than This' to support the more expensively produced and with a norrower market product like the Box Set.

Maybe that's the case now?

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 pm 

Here it is at Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music-Complete-Studio-Albums/dp/B00SJ9UFNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1423230186&sr=1-1&keywords=roxy+music+box+set

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next