VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:14 am 

Thanks for posting the pictures, Roxy.
I shall continue to covet.

What a great body of work. And, my , oh, my, visually , its still stunning and meaningful.
My adolescence, my student years and my move to London , all writ large.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm 

All that looks as it was. I`m still waiting for the ninth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm 

le freak wrote:
All that looks as it was. I`m still waiting for the ninth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm 

Oh, you wag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 pm 

Hello to you all....
I am new to the forum and I would like to contribute on the conversation about the new vinyl box set.
I do hope in the first place that somebody will soon write a kind of review on how the quality of the vinyl really is after listening...
On the internet I already did read something about the packaging and the fact that the set is pressed at GZ pressing plant, which looks a bit doubtful.....
It is just to be sure before I will buy this new set....
On the other hand, as much as I did like the scanned article from the Uncut magazine, I am to be honest a little fed up to read in a review about a Roxy rerelease the same information about the band and its musical developments throughout its career; information we already know about....
Personally I would like to read if such a release is worthwhile regarding its musical contents, if it is improved comparing to earlier releases.
On the subject mentioned in other posts here regarding "Siren", "Manifesto", "F&B" and "Avalon" I would like to say the following;
I totally agree that "Siren" is not a weak album as mentioned in the Uncut magazine; it is just a fine "fifth" chapter in the story of our favourite band. The other three albums all do have their charm; with certain songs echoing Roxy' s past....
However, IMO, these three albums provided also a kind of limousine for Ferry's solo career; for breaking through in the US, the covers on "F&B".... Although I still like these, the atmosphere is more sophisticated......
OK, so far so good, I look forward to a reply...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm 

Welcome Serenade! :)

I have been very short of time this week and have only managed a quick check through box set, mostly to check there was no damage in transit. I do intend to have a much closer look but will not be able to report on the sound quality as I have no working turntable at present.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:37 pm 

Thanks for the pics of the vinyl box set, Roxy. And welcome to this forum, Serenade. I read about some quality problems concerning the inner sleeves (wrinkled) in a German magazine, too. Does anybody have similar experiences? What about the lyrics - in which form are they included (sheet of paper, inner sleeve)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:17 pm 

Dear fellow fans!
Firstly, thank you for welcoming me in the forum, it's nice to swap commentaries and visions.....
However, at this moment, I would like to announce not so good news about the vinyl boxset :(
I also recently read on the superdeluxeedition website that someone who purchased it was quite disappointed with the packaging, having discovered the records were much too tight in their respective inner sleeves...
But please check this one: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.p ... xset-2015/
The review here came as a shock to me; dirty records, hairline scuffs on some and even scratches which made the reviewers needle jump!
Another quotes this calculation: Universal+Boxset+GZ pressing = Cash Grabbing!!!
Now this makes me think to reconsider buying the set......
If all information on this review is correct, then I am asking why,why, why has it to be this way?????
I mean; we are in a vinyl revival, better technologies and hardware allowing us to enjoy it again, and then a Major label and a pressing plant are screwing up this rerelease from our favourite band? Come on, this can't be true....!!!
So, if this is true, anyone fancy to start up a "Manifesto" and let our voices be heard by letter, by mail and so on at the offices of both Universal and GZ pressings......
I wonder what engineer Miles Showell would think of a quality degradation of something he worked on....
I feel a bit desperate about all of the above....
To give you an example of a complete different story; one of my other favourite bands, Rush, are releasing throughout the whole year every month one of their classic albums; 200 grams HQ vinyl AND also done at Abbey Road.....
Reviews from people who bought already 3 albums in the 3 months of this year are fabulous; the records are of top quality....
Now I am curious about your thoughts........
Thanks & regards!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:37 pm 

Here is an unboxing video of the set for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkbwCljWY0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:33 am 

Thanks for posting.
I am so interested, I watched the whole thing. Weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next