VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy's Roxy Repository - The Archives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 pm 

It has been commented in the past that I have a lot of interesting original old articles in my collection which I post from time to time. I thought it would be helpful if I created a thread and posted them here instead of having them dotted around various topics that crop up. It would be easier to track down an item in the future.

The beginning seems a good place to start so below is the very first press interview by the Melody Maker's Richard Williams about "Roxy" from the 7th August 1971 issue.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Roxy's Roxy Repository - The Archives
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:06 am 

And the rest is ....

Great find, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 am 

Thanks for this great posting, Roxy. A really historical article about a band called 'Roxy' (without 'Music') in their earliest phase.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 pm 

Thanks guys. The text of this article is already available here in the VRM articles section but it is nice to see it in the original form. You can imagine being back in 1971, turning the page of your Melody Maker............

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:57 pm 

Cher Roxy,
Absolutely loved reading this - brought back fabulous memories.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:45 pm 

Another early write up from the NME, 1st July 1972.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am 

Cher Roxy,
I'm loving Roxy's 'Repository'.
This particular posting took me right back to the beginning and my first gig in 1972.
It was a Sunday night in June and it was a toss up between going to 'The Jazz Club' at Redcar (aka Coatham Hotel) or heading out to Kirk Levington Country Club at Yarm. The stars were aligned and we headed to the Roxy show.
It was absolutely fabulous and it was clear from the moment they struck up that something new, different and better had certainly landed.
We walked along the beach discussing it afterwards and we were struggling to articulate the experience. Words like 'retro' weren't really in our vocabulary back then but certainly I can recall us saying 'fusion of styles' and the like.
This article was written after that gig and others from the first tour but clearly this journalist found the word and yes 'Poxy' did play with the Bay City Roller fans for a while!
Anyway, what a great night it was and it was the only time I remember being pleased to miss a Sunday at 'The Kirk'.
Keep the postings coming!
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 pm 

Keep the postings coming

Yes, please, they make great reading!!! great insight into Bryan's and Roxy's early days..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:55 am 

I do not own this item but when it came up for sale a few years ago I saved a copy of the details as it was interesting to see the early promotion of the band using the "Horizon" article from the first post on this thread.

Quote:
"This item is a 10" x 15" piece of xeroxed paper featuring on one side a copy of an article from Melody Maker's 'Horizon' column by Richard Williams on an emerging band from Newcastle (then just called Roxy). The band naturally used these copies as a promotional tool. This one has been folded over twice and marked for the attention of the then social secretary of Newcastle University's student union by Bryan Ferry in blue ballpoint pen, with a note written on the reverse in case he wasn't available when Ferry and Andy Mackay visited the union building."

"The text is as follows: "Could you possibly phone Newcastle 811026 tomorrow (morning if possible) where we have a tape of our music which we would like you to hear re. future gigs" It is signed underneath by Bryan Ferry. In fact, the social secretary was available to see them in person - he also wrote Andy Mackay's telephone number alongside the note, and has provided a signed letter detailing the meeting which will accompany our own Certificate of Authenticity."

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:19 pm 

Cher Roxy,
I'm just loving these - real history.
Keep them coming.
Salutations,
Windswept