VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: WHEN EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm 

Here we are then. It seems like we are at the end of a road. We`ve been waiting since August last year for this new album. It feels like ages. The summer tours are over. The album will be out in still a month. Next year is covered with some live dates in England and Australia, and that`s it. Silence is taking over. No more mysteries. No more posts dominated by servile followers and moaning critics. No more burning issues. There will be new challenges at other arenas. The world moves on...

So far the new album looks like an aborted Roxy album. If you buy the 12 tracks issue, there are 2 songs were both Phil and Andy are present (Song to the Siren and Whatever gets you..).
Maybe the last one was meant as a late follow up to Jealous Guy? In fact, Guy Pratt plays on that song too, the bassist who took part in the first Roxy sessions about 5 years ago. In addition, there is 1 song where Andy is playing (Heartache by Numbers), and 2 songs where Phil are playing (BF bass and Reason or Rhyme). Ol` chap Neil Hubbard is popping up on 2 songs (Alphaville and One Night). Let`s hope it makes an audible difference. I don`t think he created magic on ”Taxi”.

Post subject: Re: WHEN EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm 

Le Freak:
I share your ennui. I don't know why I care anymore about BF and Roxy because it seems like the End of The Line is here (or will be soon enough) and Olympia represents little more than an Ode to Bryan's Ego. I have watched/listened to the youtube video of You Can Dance more than a few times and as much as I can appreciate the sound of Ollie T's guitar I find it a rather numbing song that I really don't care if I never hear again...

So why should I be excited about Olympia? I dunno. It certainly isn't a Roxy album in any way, shape or form and it irritates me that much of the promo/hype is oriented toward making it s SEEM to be a Roxy collaboration. What a bunch of baloney (as we say it the States)...

Eventually I might buy a copy of Olympia (I certainly won't download an illegal copy), but I won't be someone pre-ordering on Amazon or lined up at the local Barnes & Noble on Oct 25. If I thought that getting excited about Olympia and buying copies in multiple formats might help pry BF out of his "there will never me another Roxy record" posture then I would be in-line on Oct 25th. But I've given up hope, and the only way I can express my frustration is to tune out on BF. Sigh.

Why does he fear a Roxy album so much?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 pm 

I would rather have a BF album that met expectations (however low) than a Roxy album that failed to meet them.

I don't think this is the aborted Roxy album though, M and M would have a veto on that. These must be tracks that have been knocking around and M and M just did some session work on them.

O

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm 

Only a few words to cheer up to those who are sad about Roxy reality (can we call it lack of creativity?).I am a great Pink Floyd fan (too )and i never though I could see them playing together, and they did it in 2005 ,their first appearance in years.Before that day nobody could imagine this...a miracle?not exactly...it was necesary a cause,a very good reason indeed.
ok, in which moment BF, PM and AM will do a new Roxy record is a mystery ,but i am sure that this thing will happen...sooner than later.
I think is not a question of BF ego, as perhaps they are not aware of the importance of join their great talent in one creative direction.
At this point ,I believe next year will bring all of us good news...be patient.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:52 pm 

I personally hope they never make another Roxy album. That way the legacy stays in good shape. 8 great albums. The Beatles and Velvet Underground are good examples of bands who quit at the top. The Stones and The Who are examples of bands that didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 am 

The reality is they have ALREADY recorded a new Roxy album and the ONLY reason it has not been released is because of BF's obstinance. Anyone who followed PM's posts during the period 2006-08 should be aware of the considerable effort that went into the recording process and of the way that finished tracks were being shared among people in the Roxy inner circle (I specifically remember PM posting about how he had played several tracks for one of his sons and his son's (positive) reactions to the recordings.

I am not concerned about some possible "failure" on the part of the new album to meet the standard of the Roxy legacy. I want to hear what they have created because I think they are creative musicians and I think they will create something very interesting to listen to. (Hmmm. Did I get enough "create" in that last sentence?)

No, I don't think that Roxy "owes" us as fans anything at this point. But that doesn't mean that I don't want them to release the new recordings that they have created so that I can (pay for) and enjoy them. And that doesn't mean that I can't resent the fact that BF wants to hype his new solo album as some kind of Roxy collaboration because clearly this is complete hokum! He wants to trade shamelessly on the Roxy legacy but he doesn't want to follow through and really commit to Roxy as a living, creative collective.

Uh-oh, here comes the nurse to give me my nightly meds.... Gotta go...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 am 

I wonder if that's what he tried to do. Squeeze their creative juices together and then release it as his own ! I remember Guy Pratt once saying that most of the melody for Kiss & Tell came from a studio jam which Bryan recorded and then rerecorded and relased as his own composition ! I also wonder how much input Simon Puxley had on Bryan's songwring.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 am 

I completely agree with le freak. Everything is said and done. And notice that, in the new BF album, only 8 songs are really new and original, and the album has 10 original songs. That makes 10 songs in 8 years!!
Why then refusing to cooperate with the band on a new Roxy album?
Now it's too late and, yes, everything is said and done. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 pm 

I agree too ! It's too late now and pointless. Since 1987 Bryan's only written Mamouna, Frantic and Olympia. 3 albums in 23 years. So, once Olympia is out we could be waiting about 8 years for any Roxy output if there is to be any and by then nobody will care too much anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 am 

I visit several BF/Rm-fansites, and what surprises me here is that the tone of the discussions is often so negative! Ofcourse you don't need to be positive over everything, but some of the members here seem not able to say anything good about Bryan and co, except then of their past! If you find things all so bad, why bother following them anylonger? I know other more interesting ways of spending my free time! ;)