VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where are the deluxe editions?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 pm 

I have asked this question on here so many times over the years that I think I have probably ended up answering my own posts. :?

The item on BF's Facebook page (reference "All I Want For Christmas") does not look like anything RM-related. If anything perhaps it is a book containing Avonmore and remixes. I assume if so that it is a BMG label release. Aren't Virgin EMI supposed to be releasing deluxe versions "later this year" of at least RM and maybe FYP according to the Record Store Day blurb when Ladytron came out? Someone must surely know if we will get these long-awaited releases before year's end. Any inside knowledge John? A simple "Not This Year" will enable me to put my wallet back in mothballs till after Hogmanay. They started working on these when I was in short trousers. None of us are getting any younger here!!

Post subject: Re: Where are the deluxe editions?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:13 pm 

Absolutely seconded, True2Life. I had addressed this topic in my posts from time to time and I'm still hoping for the deluxe version(s) to be released before Christmas. To so many other British bands like The Kinks or Led Zeppelin the re-releases (including bonus or rare live tracks) didn't state such a big problem ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:39 am 

From Steve Wilson Remixes, the last paragraph mentions the Roxy Music album.

Just a reminder that the next few weeks will see a number of remixes of classic albums released - I did these over a long period of time, so it's pure coincidence (and unfortunate for the wallet!) that they are all coming out almost simultaneously.

Headphone Dust already have stock of XTC "Oranges and Lemons" and Gentle Giant "Octopus" and will start shipping these to overseas customers later this week in time for the official 30th October release date. Yes (official) "Fragile" has been delayed one week to 6th November.

Meanwhile the Steve Hackett "Premonitions" box set is released this Friday, 23rd Oct, and the one-off manufacturing run is already sold out on pre-orders at Universal, as well as several major mail order outlets. However, Burning Shed still have it for pre-order, and if you don't need the whole 14 disc set, I've been told that there will be stand alone special editions of "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings" next year, both including the 5.1 remixes.

Burning Shed are also carrying the Opeth "Deliverance / Damnation" 4 disc set, which is another one out on 30th October - this includes new mixes of both albums in stereo and 5.1; Damnation by myself, and Deliverance by Bruce Soord.

Last this year will be the next in the series of limited edition deluxe editions of the Jethro Tull catalogue. "Too Old to Rock'n'Roll, Too Young to Die" will be released on 27th November, and includes numerous stereo and 5.1 remixes of album tracks and related material. While not confirmed, it's most likely the next Tull project will be to stop at 1976 for now, and go back to 1969 to remix the band's second album Stand Up.

There are still a few finished remixes that are yet to be scheduled for release (notably 2 more for King Crimson, and the debut Roxy Music album), otherwise the above goes a long way to bringing things up to date with regard to what was done and awaiting release. With the success of Hand. Cannot. Erase. I'm pretty busy with my own music and touring for the time being, but there's been some very exciting invitations coming in to remix more classic artists, so I certainly plan to do more when I can in 2016. Any news I have will be posted first on this page!

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:12 pm 

Thanks for posting the Steven Wilson comments, Roxy. So not this year it seems. Although the Record Day press release said that the reissue program would begin "later this year", once again it seems that record companies (remember them?) have put their proverbial spanner in the works.

We know that a lot of people put in a lot of work to these some years ago now. What does it take to get them released?

So much Ferry/Roxy product could have come out in the last few years but hasn't, for reasons we are not party to. No DVD from the Roxy FYP 2011 shows. Criminally, no DVD from the AEWBF shows from 2013 which I enjoyed far more than I expected to and count for me among the high points of Bryan's long and distinguished career. Even Live in Lyon came out an eternity after the tour it was recorded on.

The Ferry organisation seems to have taken some younger blood on board in recent years and embraced social media and communicating with the fan base more. You would think that opening the vaults would be a formality. Apparently not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:01 pm 

Quote:
the Record Day press release said that the reissue program would begin "later this year"

Even the 'Ladytron' release referenced the "forthcoming" super deluxe release - that's stretching meaning to breaking point!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:12 pm 

This is indeed ridiculous. Why the pointless delay?

All I can surmise is that BF is mad at the other legal members of Roxy Music (i.e. Phil and Andy) and he is "punishing" them financially by withholding approval of the release of the Roxy deluxe albums. Of course, he also suffers from this action, but he has instead opted for a "deluxe" version of Avonmore this Christmas season that will generate a bit of income that he doesn't have to split with any other "band members."

Yes I am cynical about the business of Roxy, but how else to explain it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:38 pm 

The "Business of Roxy" I totally agree.
In fact several months ago I offered that up as a potential reason why BF does not tour with Roxy but rather a young group of much lesser names. You got to figure their take is MUCH less than what Andy/Phil/Paul would get.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:28 pm 
Site Owner

Like any discussion everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what amazes me sometimes is the conspiracy theories and assumptions that are made about a lot of things that are just so off the mark.

I agree that in the absence of confirmed information, then the imagination can wander and come up with all sorts of reasons for certain things being the way they are.

I can't say too much just now about the deluxe edition of the Roxy album but what I have read here is a million miles away from any reason for it not been released so far.

As Hamlet said to Macbeth in the Merchant Of Venice " Oh ye of little faith"

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:55 pm 

I think there is something very big in the pipeline. It seethes ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 pm 

JOB

Fine. Label me a conspiracy nut. But I've been reading posts for years that the deluxe albums are "Ready to go!" "Any day now!" "Right around the corner!" "Forthcoming!"

Fine. Dig me out of my grave when they appear and slap some headphones on the worms crawling through my cranium. The cemetery will be rockin' no doubt!