VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:01 am 

At a distance of some 45 years, I don't think we'll ever really know what BF's reaction was when GS fell apart just as the first RM album was being recorded and the band was perched on the edge of success/fame/stardom - or at least they were perched on the edge of having a CHANCE for success/fame/stardom...

GS recalls only that he was a drug-addled mess in the spring of '71 and that he could barely function. Oh great, that's just what BF needed. A bandmate poised to wreck it all for everybody else, missing practices, missing gigs, playing in a fog when he did show up... And then GS's collapse required a reworking of the legal contracts that defined the partnership of RM (GS was apparently paid to go away, while he also retained his portion of royalty rights to the first album. I'm sure that made BF really happy).

I don't think the decision to never let another bass player into the corporate structure of RM was made on whim or in "memory/respect" for GS. From May '71 on, Rik Kenton and all who followed in his footsteps were simply hired hands with no equity position in the Roxy Music Enterprise. That's not by happenstance...

GS is now dead and BF will not speak ill of him as a "founder" of RM. But I don't think BF spent much time after the spring of '71 worrying about his old Gas Board mate. GS was a casualty of the 60s and BF gave nary a look back as he roared into the future...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:42 pm 

DCJ wrote:
But I don't think BF spent much time after the spring of '71 worrying about his old Gas Board mate.

Cher DCJ,
W2 is not so sure about this. Back in the day,Windswept knew a NE promoter called Geoff Docherty.
Geoff promoted them when they were with 'The Gas Board' and actually got Roxy their first gig at Newcastle's City Hall by which time Graham was no longer playing bass.
Legend has it that GS had a family bereavement and just couldn't handle it. According to Geoff he didn't turn up for rehearsals when he was in London. Bryan and the rest of the boys were very cut up about it and left the door open for a very long time. The hope was that he'd sort himself out and come back. Sadly it never happened.
There are few musicians that have as much history attached to them as Ferry which is why IWNSHO it would be a travesty if we never get the official biography.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 am 

W2
Maybe you're right. I wasn't there. I don't know.

But there came a point - maybe it was after VP became a big hit in the late summer of '72 - where GS was part of the past and BF was focused on the future.

In those pictures of BF in his monogrammed RM bathrobe in Switzerland recovering from a tonsillectomy he hardly looks like someone who would be spending much time worrying about GS and his spiral downward. But maybe that's me making assumptions out of thin air...

An unvarnished history of Roxy Music would indeed be a facinating read. But methinks (sad to say) that BF would never allow it to be written. Perhaps if Andy M wrote his autobio maybe we'd get something worth reading...

Last edited by DCJ on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:41 pm 

VP a big hit in the summer of 1972, I think.
Wikipedia: "To bring more attention to their album, Roxy Music decided to record and release a single. Their debut single was "Virginia Plain", which scored No. 4 in the British charts."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:16 pm 

lf:
It was a typo on my part. Me Bad!
I edited the post above to get it right!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 am 

-Stupid of me not to go to our own excellent history department. It speaks 1972 all over the place:

http://vivaroxymusic.com/singles_570.php

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 pm 

DCJ wrote:
An unvarnished history of Roxy Music would indeed be a facinating read. But methinks (sad to say) that BF would never allow it to be written. Perhaps if Andy M wrote his autobio maybe we'd get something worth reading...

Whatever your thoughts on Bryan's handling of Graham Simpson's departure, I'm sure he regretted his handling of Eno & Paul's departure from the band more - thankfully they have long since reconciled. Much has been written about Eno leaving, but little on Paul's circumstances - usually just cited as 'musical differences'.

There were other rocky times for the band. Around the time of 'Viva', during the band's first hiatus, Andy & Bryan must have read each others press interviews judging by some of their comments. In one Bryan, clearly miffed at the interviewer states more or less, 'I don't need the other guys, I know how the Roxy sound is created'. Andy is quoted when asked about the future of the band - 'we can always get another singer.'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:31 am 

TGPT's departure from Roxy will never be described by the Most Interested Party in the affair because TGPT himself is bound by a non-disclosre agreement that was part of the deal dissolving his equity position in Roxy. Sigh.

Beyond his fractious relationship with BF, by 1976 Andy was also disenchanted with EG Records and EG Management because of how little of the Roxy largess was trickling down to him. As Robert Fripp has loudly complained, EG was not a particularly artist-friendly outfit when it came to sharing the wealth (alas, few record companies are...).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:13 am 

Is it safe to say that an April/May 2016 release is now out of the question?

Should this project still be in the planning stages I humbly put forth my suggestions for what would make this a "deluxe" edition.

- Remastered album with Virginia Plain and The Numberer (cd and vinyl?)
- Outtakes and demos
- DVD of early footage
- Print of the album cover suitable for framing
- Hardbound book featuring essays (Bracewell and Roxy members) and rare pictures/outtakes of cover art photoshoot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm 
Site Owner

I am trying to find out the latest info on the release date. Your 'wish list' is pretty accurate to what is up for consideration.

J.O'B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next