VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm 

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads ... g-1972.mp3

If I have the link right, If There is Something from the BBC broadcast , 1972

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:02 pm 

A lot of stuff reeks to be happening , but nothing regarding the Deluxe Edition. We have a Bryan tour, Avonmore remix album, and even work on a recording from 1974 ! Is there a message here ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:30 am 

Another interview to coincide with Bryan's US dates.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... /87929874/

"We've been doing a couple of archive things. One of them is coming out later in the year, I think, which is a live show I did in 1974 at the Royal Albert Hall."

So are we to assume reading between the lines that the second archive thing that they've been doing is RM1 and that it therefore isn't coming out this year??? If that is the case then to call this disappointing doesn't come close. Some bands (Led Zeppelin, for instance) have seen their entire back catalogues remastered and reissued in the time span that this has failed to appear. It's not repainting the Sistine Chapel, for goodness sake. The Ladytron RSD release was in 2014. Steven Wilson did his thing in 2012, if I remember rightly. We are now approaching the point where the restoration work will need restoration work doing on it.

This can't be solely down to record company changes or "wanting to get it right" for the fans' sake. It looks suspiciously as though this isn't top of someone's priority list, and sadly we can guess who the prime suspect appears to be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:10 am 

Personally, I don't read anything between the lines in Bryan's comments in that interview. When talking about 'a couple of archive things', he could simply have been referring to solo projects - and he as already previously mentioned in interviews that RM deluxe was in the pipeline.

We all get frustrated with the delays - I remember my own frustration at the delay of the release of 'The Bride Stripped Bare'! I've given up worrying, and just tell myself, 'it will be released, when it's released' - more important things to worry about.

Probably not fair to compare Zeppelin re-issues with Roxy/Ferry. Zeppelin still sell huge quantities. I'm sure one of their box sets sold millions in America - and at a hefty price. They will have a big team behind their releases, with a big budget too. How many copies is RM deluxe, or 'Live at the Albert Hall' likely to sell? I can't see any of the band making a healthy profit from either release.

Plus, I really can't see why Bryan would want to deliberately delay, or sabotage the release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:15 am 

Alan wrote:
We all get frustrated with the delays - I remember my own frustration at the delay of the release of 'The Bride Stripped Bare'!
... that's interesting! I did not realize the album was delayed, I remember always being surprised of an album release "out of the blue" in those pre-internet days, relying on New musical Express for latest news..

Also:
How many copies is RM deluxe, or 'Live at the Albert Hall' likely to sell? I can't see any of the band making a healthy profit from either release.
I find the wait for RMs Deluxe Package very frustrating. I have seen the LZ package, and yesterday, I was tempted to buy the excellent Simple Minds "New Gold Dream" Deluxe Edition. If anything like this was issued by RM, I would gladly pass the pain-barrier and pay a hundred quid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:39 am 

Any news on new possible release dates? is it going to be next year instead?

Next year is the 45th Anniversary of the first album isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 pm 

In the recent interviews BF has given to promote his US Tour he has (as far as I can tell) made no reference to the deluxe edition of the first RM album. But he has talked about his RAH '74 solo concert and the possibility that a cd of the gig will be released by the end of the year.

Hmmm. Who knows what might transpire, but I strongly doubt that BOTH a deluxe edition of RM and the RAH live cd will be released so that they compete with one another...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:48 pm 

Probably not. But he has piggy backed the release of his solo stuff before, using the hype that normally goes with anything Roxy. He did it with Frantic which came out soon after the Roxy 2001 Reunion Tour and CD and DVD. And he did it with Olympia and the Roxy tour at that time and all the hype that we had about a new Roxy studio album. Soooooo, this year we may even get a Bryan Studio album at the same time ! Nothing surprises me any more !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:50 pm 

Hmmm. Who knows what might transpire, but I strongly doubt that BOTH a deluxe edition of RM and the RAH live cd will be released so that they compete with one another...

I expect both to appear, but agree that they'll be unlikely to be released simultaneously to compete with each other for attention. Maybe one this year and the other post-Xmas...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 pm 

My guess is that the BF/RAH cd will appear first and there's a good chance it will appear in time for Xmas shopping/gifting.

Promoting the RAH cd strikes me as pretty easy, at least compared with yet another remix of a Roxy album. Yes, the latter is to be "deluxe" but the world is already inundated with a vast multitude of reissues of classic albums from the 60s and 70s. In contrast, the RAH gig is a distinctive document that is totally fresh (or as fresh as anything from 1974 can be...)

If the sound quality of the RAH tapes are good and the mix is good, it could be a very engaging listen!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next