VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:32 am 

" I’d love to move on and do more Roxy albums, and Phil is keen ".

Is Bryan also keen ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:05 pm 

Is Bryan also keen ?

I don't think there's much doubt that we'll see deluxe versions of at least the first 4 or 5 Roxy albums and maybe even all 8.

Quite when we'll see them is another matter altogether! BF is a perfectionist and, although he appears to have entrusted Phil with representing the band as far as the sound of the reissues goes, he will undoubtedly be far more involved with the content and appearance of the sets.

The size of each set may depend on what extras are available for potential inclusion, i.e. there may be more out-takes, demos or rehearsal takes for some albums than for others. The forthcoming debut set will hopefully include a CD of the original demo tape and the early BBC sessions; the FYP set (on which, I'm sure I read, some groundwork has already been done) will hopefully have the later BBC sessions and could, theoretically, include a CD and/or DVD of the Golden Rose Of Montreux performance (I've read that the Montreux organisers used to record just about everything).

In due course Stranded, Country Life & Siren could include CDs of the shows recorded in full and "cherry picked" for Viva!, assuming there won't be a deluxe version of that live album. Indeed, a deluxe Siren might at last give us a DVD of Wembley '75 too. :D

I'm less sure that we'll ever see deluxe sets from BF's solo albums, but there's probably enough extras in the vaults for a CD or two of unreleased cover versions, e.g. from TFT, ATAP & ATGB, if not Dylanesque too. Maybe even a deluxe TBSB, with the original track listing & artwork?

Let's hope that we see some more action on these sets before we're much older! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:17 pm 

Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Hmmm, the sound work for the deluxe version of the first album was completed in 2012... So release it already!

To say that Roxy fans have been patient is the understatement of the year/decade/century. This has dragged out waaay too long. Just release it!!!! No more excuses please...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 pm 

Tick tock, tick tock indeed. I can't believe that at Record Store Day last year, the record company seemed to have a vision for the first release that allowed them to refer to it as 'forthcoming'. And now here we are, almost a year on. Redefining the English language and lamentable in equal measure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm 

It's a drama, a tragedy. I don't want to post the same things again and again but if at least The First Roxy Music Album Deluxe Edition won't be released in April/May (2016 !!!) it is sure that I am a fan of the wrong band ... better loved Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin and others.

BTW: I bought the new mini album of Steven Wilson, the Roxy remix engineer ("4 ½"). Brilliant prog rock music for all who loved early Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:15 pm 

I would hazard a guess (hope) that this release will tie in with the Graham Simpson film which is due to come out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:52 pm 

It will be interesting to see how BF will be associated with the GS movie once it is released. In the time leading up to GS's death BF seemed to keep quite a distance from his former bandmate, at least publicly. And I can't say I blame him given the strange and dissolute character of GS's life after he departed Roxy.

BF and GS may have both sprung forth from The Gas Board, but they had such different reactions to (and desire for) success in the world of commercial music...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:02 pm 

DCJ wrote:
BF and GS may have both sprung forth from The Gas Board, but they had such different reactions to (and desire for) success in the world of commercial music...

Renowned Roxologists,
C'est vrai, it will be VERY interesting to see this movie.
W2 remembers them both well from TGB.
They were quite an outfit for what were essentially an art school band. They played some great 'mod' venues. Notably the 'GoGo' club in Newcastle and 'The New Cellar Club' in South Shields. Venues that were played by Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Junco Partners and the like.
It was clear from the get go that they had real talent and it's so sad that their lives went in such different directions.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:12 pm 

DCJ wrote:
It will be interesting to see how BF will be associated with the GS movie once it is released. In the time leading up to GS's death BF seemed to keep quite a distance from his former bandmate, at least publicly. And I can't say I blame him given the strange and dissolute character of GS's life after he departed Roxy.

Bryan made a short statement when Graham's death was announced - basically:- 'without Graham, there would have been no Roxy Music'. Says it all really.

I'm pretty sure too that when Graham left the band that Bryan said the door was always open should he want to return - though that might just be my memory playing tricks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:57 pm 

You're right, Alan. I think he said something to the effect of "go, and come back when you get better". Hence Roxy never having a permanent bass player after Simpson left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next