VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Phil Manzanera Interview On Roxy Music
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 pm 

To me BF solo will always be the second best thing, to such an extent that I can`t really follow many threads at this forum wholeheartedly. But "Loop De Li", "Midnight Train" and "Avonmore" was great, up there with the best, yes, I mean Roxy, sort of...

I`ve edited. Despite incorrect English some say the meaning will get across anyway, but I`m not so sure in this case. The correct English is of course "second best", not "next best".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:53 pm 

In an interview earlier this year Phil referred to the tracks they recorded as being not good enough and "sub standard" :?

@Roxy

I read that interview too, here is the link for it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 30178.html

In former times Phil said that they procuded some songs, really good songs, some of them sounds fantastic.

Whatever the reason for this change of mind be? Were the songs Bryan not good enough? Was it his decision? Has Andy ever given a statement to the recordings from 2005/06? I can not find any statements from him.

For me the whole thing is very confusing, not clear enough. Typical Roxy, and the reason I´ll be not surprised if the shots would one day actually published.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:40 pm 
Site Owner

From Andy's website:

Andy Mackay plays on new Bryan Ferry record OLYMPIA ??
20 July 2010 | Posted by Andy Mackay

Welcome to anyone who has come to THE METAPHORS site via the link on the official ROXY MUSIC website or VIVA ROXY MUSIC or ROXYRAMA. Thanks to everyone involved in those sites.

I have read that I played on Bryan's upcoming record OLYMPIA. Just for the record I may have done but I am not sure! The situation arose when we were trying to make a new Roxy record in early 2007. We booked a big studio room at RAK in London and set up to record 'live' much as we had done in AIR London in 1973. We had all the band including Eno and our legendary producer Chris Thomas. We laid down some great sounding and rocking backing tracks but it was clear that it would be a long slog to get them into the sort of perfection that Roxy albums demand, not least because none of them had lyrics.

Bryan also had some beautiful sounding tracks in various states of completion that he had been working on over time for possible inclusion on the album. They had the finesse and production values that people have come to associate and enjoy with Bryan's solo work since the mid 80s. We all worked on them, along with the new stuff at Phil's Gallery Studios for several weeks. However I could not feel the commitment and passion that would get me through what would undoubtedly be be a long and difficult road to a finished album on tracks that I had not been involved with from the start. I hope that bits of my playing and ideas are still embedded in some tracks on Bryan's new album. I wish it all success and look forward to hearing it.

The Roxy project ground to a halt, Bryan decided to carry on with solo work, Phil went into the studio and worked, as he always does, on several projects at once, and I went into Real World studios with my Metaphor colleagues to push my playing in other directions .

The rest, as they say, is history, or, more realistically, a footnote.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:57 pm 

There were 1 or 2 clips of Roxy in the studio with Eno in 07 on YouTube but they were deleted. One of the two tracks on playback sounded like an amalgamation of the FYP and Siren period. There were no vocals at that stage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:53 pm 

There is footage of them in the studio in the DVD of the BBC documentary The Roxy Music Story.